• The KillerFrogs

Iowa State fined $25,000

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
By the B12 for storming the field Saturday after beating top 10 West Virginia. Holgerson complained about it. Geeesh.

“We have a duty to provide a safe game environment. The Iowa State Department of Athletics has a written event management policy that was not thoroughly implemented, and was unsuccessful in ensuring the safety and security of all visiting team game participants,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement. “Although the Big 12 Conference does not currently have a policy prohibiting spectators from entering playing areas for post-game celebrations, it is of utmost importance that home game management provide adequate security measures for our student-athletes, coaches, game officials and spectators.”

Moose Stuff

I remember thinking as I watched that the fans were just coming from everywhere and there really wasn’t a safe/clear path to the locker room for the WV players.

Eight

Goodness, they are college kids enjoying a major upset with their fellow students. Let the kids have some fun.

agree in principle, but from a historical perspective there have been enough cases where something happened because of a crowd on the field to require home teams take "appropriate" measures to ensure safe passage for the teams off the field.

i see to recall the incident with blount when boise beat uo at home and then there was the incident in lubbock with tech beat atm, students stormed the field, tore down a goal post, and then preceded to carry it into the block of seats containing the ags.

McFroggin

agree in principle, but from a historical perspective there have been enough cases where something happened because of a crowd on the field to require home teams take "appropriate" measures to ensure safe passage for the teams off the field.

i see to recall the incident with blount when boise beat uo at home and then there was the incident in lubbock with tech beat atm, students stormed the field, tore down a goal post, and then preceded to carry it into the block of seats containing the ags.

Weak. At Baylor, they carried the goalpost to the president’s front yard. You could say they raped the yard with it.

Zubaz

i see to recall the incident with blount when boise beat uo at home
Students didn't rush the field that game. That was just Blount. Then he tried to attack some students on the sideline, but to the best of my knowledge they didn't rush the field.

and then there was the incident in lubbock with tech beat atm, students stormed the field, tore down a goal post, and then preceded to carry it into the block of seats containing the ags.
1 incident 17 years ago? And haven't they made adjustments that bring goalposts down now to prevent that sort of thing from happening anymore?

ShreveFrog

So how's a school supposed to stop 10-thousand students from rushing the field? Ring the field with a thousand cops? That costs money, too.

Eight

Students didn't rush the field that game. That was just Blount. Then he tried to attack some students on the sideline, but to the best of my knowledge they didn't rush the field.

1 incident 17 years ago? And haven't they made adjustments that bring goalposts down now to prevent that sort of thing from happening anymore?

could be more incidents, that could be the only one. as mentioned before threw those out there because they were the first that came to mind.

i would suspect it isn't the only one because of the stance taken by the conferences and what is at stake is the potential for liability lawsuits. simple google search would flesh out the numbers, but that really isn't the issue

people can all it weak, call it rare, but they do happen and the normal response seems to be to implement rules to restrict or prohibit the behavior. if i am not mistaken the time limit for remaining the parking lot got reduced after an incident that while the university wasn't directly involved was named for liability purposes.

this is just another example that while the schools, conferences, and ncaa claim they aren't businesses these decisions sure look like a business operating within the frame work set by the risk managers

Eight

Up next: Neil Diamond and the Red Sox sue Iowa State for playing "Sweet Caroline" during the post-game celebration.

as long as they remember to pay neil each time they play the song i don't think he really cares who or where it is sung