• The KillerFrogs

Michael Collins-I guess he gets his chance now

flyfishingfrog

As far as the interior OL … doubt our three 290 pounders are going to wear down too many DLs, though do agree we are better off in a hurry up the tempo, yet there are obviously times needed to slow it down,
OL don't wear out DL and LB's, the pace of play does. If you ever played D at a high level, you know that defense basically has to exert about 50% more energy than the O because you have to constantly react vs running a known play. Thus why the high execution speed hurts the D more than the O and its the DL and LB's that always are sucking air after long drives.

Pharm Frog

OL don't wear out DL and LB's, the pace of play does. If you ever played D at a high level, you know that defense basically has to exert about 50% more energy than the O because you have to constantly react vs running a known play. Thus why the high execution speed hurts the D more than the O and its the DL and LB's that always are sucking air after long drives.

What about when the O isn’t all clued into the “known” plays?

flyfishingfrog

What about when the O isn’t all clued into the “known” plays?
well the running around looking like the lost tribe on both sides of the ball is a bit ridiculous. When your entire scheme for both O and D is so dependent on the other team that you are not ready to play at the snap half the time on D and failing to set the agenda on O - then it seems we may have over complicated things...

I often wonder how good 42 could be if he actually had a second to set himself and focus instead of having to yell the call and look over the field while the ball is being snapped...

Uncle_Frog

The lack of deep balls were because Iowa State plays a cover 3 with main goal not to allow any deep balls. They force you to drive the length of the field.

It wasn’t because the staff is afraid to throw it deep
Good point, but that means you should be able to hit intermediate passes. Robsinon was actually pretty good on the intermediate stuff last night (especially when rolling out) although I can only remember about 4 or 5 throws around 10 yards downfield. I think the WR screens and quick throws to the flat are effective because we have real speed and quickness at WR, but they can’t be 80% of the pass plays called.

These will not be shootouts.... These will be blowouts...and thats whats coming, if this O isn’t corrected quickly...OU,WV,TT,BU,OSU... asking GP’s D to hold these teams O’s to 20 points?? Not likely..

MinFrog

If it is Collins time, then I hope he comes out slinging it better than he has this far. Skipping balls on the ground his year isn’t a good look.

Froggy Style

We play best when scripted.
This. Unfortunately, calling football plays is improv, not a screenplay.

The concerns about Cumbie calling the shovel pass play a week after that play losing a game for you, tells me that he needs a week to come up with decent play calls. If you can't do it on the fly, then you're not quite the guru we all hoped.