• The KillerFrogs

Is Sonny Cumbie a Good Offensive Coordinator?

tcumaniac

The guy seems like a stand up individual that recruits are very clearly drawn to. And from all accounts he is just a fantastic husband, father, and man in general... exactly the kind of guy you want a part of your football program. And let's not forget how he told the Texas Longhorns to go pound sand a few years ago. It's really, really hard not to love the guy.

But... is he actually good at game planning and play calling? Discuss.

ETXFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
The guy seems like a stand up individual that recruits are very clearly drawn to. And from all accounts he is just a fantastic husband, father, and man in general... exactly the kind of guy you want a part of your football program. And let's not forget how he told the Texas Longhorns to go pound sand a few years ago. It's really, really hard not to love the guy.

But... is he actually good at game planning and play calling? Discuss.

Just like in my post, I initially thought he was through his first 2 seasons. But the body of work is now telling me otherwise.

BABYFACE

I like Cumbie as on OC. When players are making plays, coaches look brilliant. When they are not, coaches look inadequate. Of course there is more to that. Coaches can sometimes over think and end up outsmarting themselves. That just comes with the territory.

Turnovers have been the main issue the last two games. We can debate whether Cumbie should have sat SR after his 3rd TO against UT.

Until SC shows otherwise, I hope Cumbie is at TCU for the long haul.

Zubaz

Yes.

It's not that difficult to see the dramatic shift that occurred in our offense the season that Cumbie and Meachem came in. We might have our struggles here and there, but he's got a pretty great track record over 4 seasons.

flyfishingfrog

Unscheissingbelievable.

This fan base as exhibited on this board since last Saturday does not deserve nice things.
Actually he just asked a question that is a good question.

I think he is - obviously so do you - but do you have any data points to support a yes answer or are you just bitching about other people bitching?

I would say that the fact that we played in the B12 Championship game last year with what I considered a good but not great QB tells me his a pretty good at his job.

I do wonder why we seem to always have such a big drop off every time we have to break in a new QB.

Seems like we need to change our philosophy a little about getting the next man up some real playing time across the board - not just waiting until we are up in the 4th and do the handoff to kill the clock move

FrogLifeYo

Maybe......Jury is still out. His play calling is no bueno right now but it’s easy to forget he literally just started calling plays for only the second season

SnoSki

I think he is. This offense for years has put up strong stats in terms of yardage and points.

We are just 9 days removed from gaining the most yards that Ohio State and all their 5-Star players have given up in 5 years. I’m pissed that we lost to UT and I’m sure sonny and GP are also. Let’s not let our emotions get the best of us.

I think quite a few people, myself included, saw all the stars on Robinson’s recruiting profile and thought he would be a heisman contender from day one, and they are allowing reality to skew their view of both our quarterback and offensive coordinator.

Dalton, Pachall, Boykin, Kenny ALL looked like hot garbage at times in their first years. Remember Andy losing to Wyoming for pete’s sake? Or Trevone making ISU look like Bama? Kenny in 2016 threw 3 picks against Kansas, and followed that up with 0 TD and 1 pick against Tech’s pass defense that was rated among the worst in the country. In neither game did he cross 200 yards passing.

Even Baker Mayfield wouldn’t beat out Davis freaking Webb for a starting job and transferred out.

Just saying - let’s cool the jets on thinking that Sonny and Shawn aren’t any good. Very few players are electrifying in their first full season no matter how good they were in HS or how good their careers ended up.

Edit: some more interesting Andy Dalton stats.. 0 TD and 4 INT vs Utah as a freshman. Had a 9 game stretch (between the final 4 freshman games and first 5 sophomore games)where he had just 1 total TD pass and 5 picks. He really was “bad Andy” until at least halfway through sophomore year.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Actually he just asked a question that is a good question.

I think he is - obviously so do you - but do you have any data points to support a yes answer or are you just bitching about other people bitching?

I would say that the fact that we played in the B12 Championship game last year with what I considered a good but not great QB tells me his a pretty good at his job.

I do wonder why we seem to always have such a big drop off every time we have to break in a new QB.

Seems like we need to change our philosophy a little about getting the next man up some real playing time across the board - not just waiting until we are up in the 4th and do the handoff to kill the clock move
Yes. 3 top ten rankings in last four years. 500 yards of offense with 3 turnovers against Ohio State. Outgained UT with 4 turnovers. Think what those totals would be without giving up the ball so many times.

Our offense is a problem but it’s not the play calling that is causing it. Turnovers are the problem. Remove those and the frogs are 3-1 or 4-0 and this thread never happens.

But instead we get threads based on feelings which are pointless. So, yes, if someone is going to [ hundin] I feel I have the green light to [ hundin] about it. And since there was no data provided in the original post I didn’t feel compelled to provide any either.

Satisfied?

CountryFrog

Yes. I thought the game plan and play calling last week was good enough to score 30 - 35 points with good execution.

Against OSU we basically did score 35 points but had 7 taken off the board through no fault of the OC.

To play devil's advocate on my own opinion, this offense has made a ton of mistakes so to a certain degree the person running the offense has to have at least a little responsibility for that. Even if those mistakes are not directly atributable to his game planning and play calling.

Last edited:

Strat Frog

Cumbie’s fine. He didn’t draw up the plays where we threw it to the other team nor where we put the ball on the turf. Players have to execute the actual plays.

SnoSki

Yes. 3 top ten rankings in last four years. 500 yards of offense with 3 turnovers against Ohio State. Outgained UT with 4 turnovers. Think what those totals would be without giving up the ball so many times.

This is a great point. If those seven turnovers are turned into even just field goals, TCU probably has close to 700 yards of offense on Ohio State, and at Texas. Wow.

AustinFrog

Cumbie is doing his job. We are just not executing the plan or making plays. The OC does not drop passes, he does not have stupid penalties that get TD's called back, he does not miss blocks or turn the ball over and give up offensive TD's. It's time to ask the coaches to leave, close the doors, and have an old fashion players only come to Jesus meeting.

4th. down

Cut out the turnovers, which are not the OC's fault, and we are 4-0 and top 5 and everyone loves him

They would be calling him brilliant and give him more money right now. Sonny cannot see the field for Shawn, it's all on Shawn and he has to own up to it and correct. However, Sonny, you better hit the delete button on that sideline screen or that's going for 6 the other way, and GP is going to be hopping mad and will call you out in the Sunday coaches meeting - be careful. If your afraid to let Shawn throw across the middle this year, throw over the middle only to that 6'6" tight end, and verticals down the sideline, and or, dump offs to RB's.

Anderson, Sewo, and Emari - we've got the hosses, use them and take some of the pressure off Shawn to win the game for you and remember, he can run also.

pgdaly84

My biggest gripe is that the offense has no identity. When Meach called plays we ran the Air Raid. Worked great in 2014-2015 and half of 2016. When it didn’t work the second half of the 2016 season I think CGP decided that the Air Raid style wasn’t worth the extra risk to his D and that’s why we’ve ended up with a disjointed offense. Cumbie is torn between what he knows and what his boss wants. The result is an offense that is all over the place. Some possessions are all passes, some are straight ahead runs that don’t play to our OL strength, some are option heavy side to side. There is no set of plays that seems to be our go to except the screen passes, which have become really predictable. We also constantly rotate personnel for the purpose of rotating. There’s no rhythm. Part of that might be because our WR corps can’t catch consistently, and we’re trying to find guys who can catch. I’m just tired of seeing a disjointed offense cost us games against the teams we need to beat.