• The KillerFrogs

Interesting Mac Article today

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Okay, what the actual crap was this implanted in the middle of that story? A stealth ad? Has the Star-Telegram stooped that low?

“Growing up in Dallas, TCU was just becoming a powerhouse in the Mountain West; I never thought when it came into the Big 12 it would have the impact like this so fast,” said former UT defensive end Bryce Cottrell, who played at UT from 2012 to ‘16.

(BTW: Cottrell is an absolute success story; his father, Comer, was a part owner of the Rangers with George W. Bush. Bryce is now the founder of Noble Wolf Vodka, which is the first of its kind to be distilled entirely from grapefruits).

“It was their speed,” he said. “We didn’t realize how fast TCU was.”

Frog-in-law1995

Okay, what the actual crap was this implanted in the middle of that story? A stealth ad? Has the Star-Telegram stooped that low?

tumblr_o4sk7mTE5M1ue779no10_r1_400.gif

Zubaz

Stupid comments.

First, how the heck has the LHN blew up in Texas' face? It blew up in ESPN's face, but Texas gets their check regardless. It's been a great move for Texas.

Second, the Big 12 had to add someone, they weren't going to stay at 8 or 9, and adding a terrible team like SMU or Tulane would have hastened their decline. If it came down to us or Louisville (as was the rumor), do they really think that Louisville wouldn't have dominated comparably? Or even the stretch of adding someone like Clemson or Florida State, both of whom have won a National Title and competed for others since realignment? Texas under Strong was a consistently .500 team. Their issue wasn't being dominated by the conference newbies, it was losing to guys like Bayor, Kansas State, Iowa State, and even Kansas that one year.

Eight

Stupid comments.

First, how the heck has the LHN blew up in Texas' face? It blew up in ESPN's face, but Texas gets their check regardless. It's been a great move for Texas.

Second, the Big 12 had to add someone, they weren't going to stay at 8 or 9, and adding a terrible team like SMU or Tulane would have hastened their decline. If it came down to us or Louisville (as was the rumor), do they really think that Louisville wouldn't have dominated comparably? Or even the stretch of adding someone like Clemson or Florida State, both of whom have won a National Title and competed for others since realignment? Texas under Strong was a consistently .500 team. Their issue wasn't being dominated by the conference newbies, it was losing to guys like Bayor, Kansas State, Iowa State, and even Kansas that one year.

not sure if having lowell galindo and ahmad brooks associated with your program is a great move.

broadcast without those two commentating would be a much stronger move

Didn't click , don't even know what the story is about. Just read some comments about expansion. Always read people saying TCU was the last choice to add to Big 12 after A&M and Missouri left but that wasn't the case. TCU was in Big 12 before West Virginia. They were deciding between WV or Louisville not TCU. If anything Big 12 was considering bringing in Pittsburg before anyone.

After taking TCU , everyone thought they should take both WV and UL and be at 11 as Big 10 was for so many years. Unfortunately ESPN who controls the ACC (Boston College AD Says ESPN Told ACC 'what to do' for conference expansion) was smart and added Louisville to ACC before Big 12 could decide. Thus it ended with Big 12 just adding WVU and that closed out further expansion.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Stupid comments.

He was saying that the Longhorn network blew up in their face because it was the reason (or at least the last straw) for A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri leaving the Big 12.

Long Time Lurker

I thought the other teams agreed to let the Whorns have their own network??? Also heard Texas somehow offered to share it some how with some of the other schools.

Both of those are just things I heard or read somewhere, take it with a grain of salt.

AustinFrog

The LHN is good for TCU because it opened up the Big XII by being the last straw for ATM and the others who left. It is also what will keep the conference together. UT-Austin no longer owns it's 3rd tier rights. It has the LHN, and that prevents UT-Austin from joining (defecting) any conference with a conference TV deal. No Pac 12, No BIG10, no ACC, No SEC. They put themselves in a golden cage.

bleedpurple

The LHN is good for TCU because it opened up the Big XII by being the last straw for ATM and the others who left. It is also what will keep the conference together. UT-Austin no longer owns it's 3rd tier rights. It has the LHN, and that prevents UT-Austin from joining (defecting) any conference with a conference TV deal. No Pac 12, No BIG10, no ACC, No SEC. They put themselves in a golden cage.
This.

Zubaz

He was saying that the Longhorn network blew up in their face because it was the reason (or at least the last straw) for A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri leaving the Big 12.
Yeah I know that's the narrative, I don't really buy it. First, Nebraska and A&M were both against equal revenue sharing for the same reason Texas was. Second, does anyone really buy that if the SEC or Big Ten came calling, any team would say "No thanks, we have a conference network and equal revenue sharing here too"? I don't. MAYBE Colorado wouldn't have been so anxious to go West, but I think the other three schools were gone either way.

I'm sure that there were grumblings about Texas swinging their influence, but I don't really buy that if the LHN was the Big 12 network those schools would have stayed.