• The KillerFrogs

My only complaint

Chongo94

Totally possible that he doesn’t want to run, I don’t want to speculate.

Nobody has outright said “fire Cumbie” but if you look at the first page, we have posters saying that Cumbie can’t gameplan and isn’t a good gametime coach. Reducing his input to recruiting quarterbacks.

Oh I’m not either, just throwing out another possible thought is all, and I do think the spy in the second half really accounted for a lot of that. I do wish DA had gotten the ball more or that we had seen more of Demercado (sic?)...

PurpleBlood87

I have a really hard time putting any of those TOs on SR honestly. The strip sack from the back side was a total whiff by the LT and when you get hit on your arm like that as you're getting ready to throw then the ball is pretty much always going to come out.

The pick 6 is a shovel pass as he's sprinting to his left picked off by a DT coming from the backside. It would've been great if he'd seen the guy but really all the QB can focus on there is the front side and has to assume that there won't be a backside defensive linemen cutting across the face of the RB. Again, this is another whiff by the OL.

Then the last int is just situational. You have to take some chances down the field when there's 2 minutes left and you need 2 TDs.

I thought SR was pretty freaking good in this game.

SR checked down to that shovel pass that was intercepted so he needs to take some responsibility for that

CountryFrog

SR checked down to that shovel pass that was intercepted so he needs to take some responsibility for that
I guarantee you he didn't just totally on his own make that decision as a true sophomore. The check either came from the sideline (which is where most of our checks come from) or he was specifically told that if he sees a specific front to check to that play. There's no way that a true sophomore in his 4th career start has complete control of the entire offense at the LOS.

But whether he did or didn't check to the play is irrelevant to my point because there's no way he ran up to the line and said "don't block the DT! Don't block the DT!" It was a blown assignment up front. Even with that though there's no way anyone could've seen a pick 6 coming on a pass that would travel about 4 feet in the air.

jake102

Your opinions would generate more positive discussion if you didn’t exaggerate them

It would also help if I wasn’t posting while entertaining a baby.

Rereading in your quote and I realize it sounds like I am saying Anderson wasn’t used at all during the 2nd half. Point I was trying to make is that Anderson should have rarely ever left the field while we were on offense in the 2nd half. Instead of a 50/50 split it needed to be like 90/10

maddogDemocrat

Play calling? Man I get so tired of this. I kinda got mad when he called the butterfingers punter play. And I don't understand calling the QB fumble in our end zone. But the handoffs to DA were genius.

I love SR but that kid needs to protect the ball. Period. We gave this one away.
We didn't give it away. They took it away. GP has won many a game like this.

maddogDemocrat

Yeah I haven’t seen the fire Cumbie posts. I think he made a major mistake not using Anderson the entire 2nd half. Playing Ohio State isn’t the game to play it safe with his health, we have UT next week to rest the starters
Hate to say it but UT game will be a struggle.

CountryFrog

Yeah, Austin ran JET down to block for him if needed. I was surprised with how smoothly Austin was catching up to him. I've never thought he's particularly fast, but he looked like it on that play.
It's also possible that DA knew he had a TD after he crossed midfield and wasn't running full speed anymore.

He looked pretty dang explosive through the hole. If he's not at 100% then he's not real far off. His conditioning may be a factor since he didn't practice much in camp and wasn't used much in the first 2 games.

HG73

We didn't give it away. They took it away. GP has won many a game like this.
Troll away dude. The Bucs forced a fumbled punt snap? They forced Turpin to drop a pass, hold a DB and throw a forward lateral on a kickoff? There was no way for us to win that game with all the errors, turnovers and penalties. A normal game and we win easily. SR must learn to protect the ball. Period.

brut85

We both had many mistakes....we had 5 dropped passes including a gimme TD on a pinpoint pass right in our WR hands....
Troll away dude. The Bucs forced a fumbled punt snap? They forced Turpin to drop a pass, hold a DB and throw a forward lateral on a kickoff? There was no way for us to win that game with all the errors, turnovers and penalties. A normal game and we win easily. SR must learn to protect the ball. Period.

FrankDMaynard

I've watched TCU football from a unique perspective for a good while now and regardless of the outcome last night, I have a great sense that there are some exciting years ahead of us. Last night was a step towards that. SR and Reagor are going to be a combo as good as we have seen and Rogers is right behind Robinson. Good days no doubt! I'm very proud of our staff and players and I truly believe we are on the cusp of being in the elite category in spite of our many disadvantages as a small private school. We saw the beginning last night.

Uncle_Frog

The game plan was good and we had yards than anyone has had against Ohio State in 5 years. Shawn protects the ball better and we win.

He looks solid and I think we are playoff contenders in 2019 and 2020. Shawn was a high 4* recruit because he is a dual threat, not a pure pocket passer. So far his passing has been better than I expected to be at this point, but he is so dominate with his feet that he needs more carries. 40 passes and 5 true runs (was sacked 3 times) isn’t an optimal use of his abilities. He needs to tuck and run more when scrambling and pull it more running the zone read in my opinion. Im encouraged through 3 games on offense and if Shawn just uses those feet more and we will really hum on offense.

Horny4TCU

The game plan was good and we had yards than anyone has had against Ohio State in 5 years. Shawn protects the ball better and we win.

He looks solid and I think we are playoff contenders in 2019 and 2020. Shawn was a high 4* recruit because he is a dual threat, not a pure pocket passer. So far his passing has been better than I expected to be at this point, but he is so dominate with his feet that he needs more carries. 40 passes and 5 true runs (was sacked 3 times) isn’t an optimal use of his abilities. He needs to tuck and run more when scrambling and pull it more running the zone read in my opinion. Im encouraged through 3 games on offense and if Shawn just uses those feet more and we will really hum on offense.
Running the QB is okay against teams like Southern and Tech, who both have no defense. However, running against aOSU, OSU, OU you're risking his health.

Granted, if Andy Dalton came down for a couple weeks and taught SR the read option, I wouldn't be upset. He was one of the best quarterbacks for spotting those opportunities and exploiting them with his feet.

Edit: And Andy was able to stay relatively healthy doing it.

Uncle_Frog

Running the QB is okay against teams like Southern and Tech, who both have no defense. However, running against aOSU, OSU, OU you're risking his health.

Granted, if Andy Dalton came down for a couple weeks and taught SR the read option, I wouldn't be upset. He was one of the best quarterbacks for spotting those opportunities and exploiting them with his feet.

Edit: And Andy was able to stay relatively healthy doing it.
Dalton was a real overachiever running the zone read: guaranteed 7 yards and a slide!

I guess my thought is if we can’t run our dual threat QB against good teams when we need that mobility, then why recruit dual threat guys instead of true pocket passers? We like to recruit dual threat guys because of the extra dimension it brings to the offense but I just think we need to utilize it more.