• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Ohio St. Prediction Threads

As he should. The LAST thing we need to do in this game is have quick 3 and outs. The very last thing.

Wex - From an Ohio State fan perspective, what I feel like most Ohio State fans dread is TCU coming in, running the ball well, and using play action to throw over the middle or in the seams to their TE's. Ohio State has struggled mightily with that for the past couple of seasons.

as a tcu fan i demand to know what is a tight end

If TCU doesn't utilize their TE's often, that does make me even more confident, although throwing it to WR's crossing over the middle, and throwing it to RBs leaking out of the backfield can have essentially the same effect.

MTfrog5

Wex - From an Ohio State fan perspective, what I feel like most Ohio State fans dread is TCU coming in, running the ball well, and using play action to throw over the middle or in the seams to their TE's. Ohio State has struggled mightily with that for the past couple of seasons.
TCU fans can assure you that we will pass to a TE at most once during the game

Bob Sugar

as a tcu fan i demand to know what is a tight end
Had to be done...
aug-312013tcu-showgirls-perform-in-a-ncaa-football-game-between-the-DDXNHM.jpg

Wexahu

I'd worry way more about Patterson getting into the head of your QB and making a bit of a mess of your offense. That's what he's best at. Now, it doesn't always work, see last year's OU games, but if TCU wins this game OSU fans will be wondering what the hell happened to their offense. And the thing that gives me the most hope is that your QB is relatively inexperienced and that usually means some trouble for TCU opponents.

Our offense is pretty inconsistent and I'm not expecting them drive the ball up and down the field, if TCU wins it'll be because we didn't turn it over and we gave your QB fits.

I'd worry way more about Patterson getting into the head of your QB and making a bit of a mess of your offense. That's what he's best at. Now, it doesn't always work, see last year's OU games, but if TCU wins this game OSU fans will be wondering what the hell happened to their offense. And the thing that gives me the most hope is that your QB is relatively inexperienced and that usually means some trouble for TCU opponents.

Our offense is pretty inconsistent and I'm not expecting them drive the ball up and down the field, if TCU wins it'll be because we didn't turn it over and we gave your QB fits.

Come Saturday night, this may have been a bad take, but that is the least that I am worried about. I can definitely see GP getting inside Haskins' head, that I'm not doubting. If that's the case, Ohio State would just run the ball 40 times with Dobbins/Weber and let the chips fall where they may.

Eight

Essentially, this is the perfect meme to explain how our LB's react to a well executed gameplan that makes them cover.

anyone who tells you they know much about the tcu offense really is throwing crap at a wall because they just haven't had to so much in the first two games.

biggest problem for the fan base in my mind is separating their expectations from what has actually played out over the first two games.

frogs replaced 4 offensive linemen and are breaking in a new quarterback so they are working to find an identity. in both games they have run the ball and under cumbie last year they ran the ball more than half the time. some will same first two games were against bad defenses which they were, but to me the only time that comes into consideration is if we couldn't run the ball which didn't happen.

can we run the ball on saturday? don't need to run for 200+, only do so enough to avoid long downs, keep defense honest, and open up parts of the passing game. running back looks to be the deepest part of the offensive roster at this time with 3 quality backs.

additionally, the frogs do use the short, quick passing game as an extension of the running game. osu can match the athletic ability of the frogs receivers in the slot so to me it comes down to execution by the wide receivers to block versus secondary tackling in space.

in regards to the tcu passing game there is talent at receiver at quarterback, but it is young. young isn't always bad, just unpredictable. one thing i have seen in two game this year that you didn't see much last year is a willingness to throw in the middle of the field. last year was a great deal of around the edges and while i am not ready to say that trend won't hold with a young quarterback they have shown a willingness to throw it down the center of the field.

one final point, unlike some frog alums/fans and the media i don't see this game as the holy grail and a chance to put 2014 in the past once and for all. patterson is a big music guy and i think he is going into this game with a mindset from the rolling stones' classic ruby tuesday of "yesterday doesn't matter if its gone".

winning saturday doesn't do [ Finebaum ] for 2014, but what is does serve is as a benchmark for where this team is and the real work starts next week on conference play. i very much see tcu opening up both game plans, but i don't expect a win at all cost attitude.

one thing to note on defense, patterson in the past has shot himself in the foot at times by over scheming at the start of a game and going back to playing fundamentally sound defense. the key to the defense when tcu plays at its best is not freaking mind games, but the ability to recognize, respond, and attack with a great deal of speed.

Frog-in-law1995

Those were the 4th and 5th times Bakeface started against a TCU defense. That makes a difference.

Frog-in-law1995

Only QB I can think of recently who really beat us up in his first start against us was that kid from the FCS team in 2016. A few others crept above 200 yards with a TD or 2 and no picks, but can’t think of a QB that beat us with his arm.