• The KillerFrogs

Biggest OOC Game in Patterson Era?

Biggest OOC Game in Patterson Era?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeuceBoogieNights

Outside of bowl games, is this the biggest out of conference game for TCU in the Gary Patterson era? Obviously Oklahoma 2005, Clemson 2009, and LSU 2013 all come to mind. You have Oregon State and Stanford in there as well but this one feels like the biggest.

froginaustin

This is definitely the biggest OOC game of this season, unless a bowl game eclipses it.

Every year TCU has a "biggest OOC game". 1 "stretch" game. Patterson wants it that way, or so I hear/read.

DeuceBoogieNights

It might be the biggest OOC game in the Patterson era, but I remember the Clemson game being a big deal. It is FAR from being THE biggest game in the Patterson era, though. Not even close.

Clemson and LSU were definitely big deals. They are all "big" cause TCU has to basically win em all, but this one could do a lot for "perception"

Zubaz

OU in 2005 was minimized a bit by the way the rest of their season turned out, though I disagree with OU fans that they were terrible that year. They just lost to some pretty good teams. 2013 LSU was OK, but they weren't worldbeaters either. I honestly don't remember Clemson being that big of a deal. Good win on the road against a quality opponent, but they were just coming off the Tommy Bowden era of good-but-not-great.

If Ohio State holds serve the way that everyone expects them to (win or lose this game), then the only comparisons would be OU in 2008 and Nebraska in 2001, teams that ended up playing for the national title.

WhatTheFrog

Clemson and LSU were definitely big deals. They are all "big" cause TCU has to basically win em all, but this one could do a lot for "perception"

It COULD, but I'm not sure it's as big now that we are in a P5 conference. Remember, we were one of the "Little Sisters of the Poor" during those games. Now we may only be one of the "Little Sisters of the Middle Class".

It's definitely a "must win" for Ohio University.

jake102

What Moose said is correct. If we win, it's easily the biggest OOC game we've had.... it will mean we have a good team and will give us a one (maybe two) game mulligan in Big 12 play.

MinFrog

I think previous years were bigger just because we were in lesser conferences. Whereas, if we lose to OSU, we can still win our conference and have a shot at the playoffs. But if we lost in the MWC, then we had no shot at a BCS game.

Planks

I don't know, a win in this game sure seems like it would take the profile of the program up yet another notch.

Yep. TCU’s problem right now is that perception-wise we are not only not seen as a first tier program, we are not even seen as a second tier program in most eyes. We are seen as behind programs like Stanford, Washington, Penn State, Michigan State, Oregon, Wisconsin, despite consistently providing similar if not better results.

We’ve finished in the top 10 of the final AP seven of the past ten seasons. Yet we rarely ever start off in the top 10 of the preseason AP poll because people simply don’t see TCU as a top 10 program, no matter how much we win. Beating #4 Ohio State would go along way in solidifying TCU in peoples mind as a top 10 program, and would provide one hell of a recruiting tool

Mean Purple

I would have to list 2005 OU as the bigger OOC. We were not the size or depth we have now, nor were we a bcs/power 5/whatever term they use next to violate anti trust laws.
Same with LSU.