• The KillerFrogs

AP: Fine's 3 TD passes lift North Texas over SMU 46-23

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Fine's 3 TD passes lift North Texas over SMU 46-23

DENTON, Texas -- Mason Fine threw for 444 yards and three touchdowns, Kemon Hall returned an interception for a touchdown and DeAndre Torrey had a 96-yard kickoff return for North Texas in a 46-23 win over SMU in a season opener on Saturday night.

Fine threw two TD strikes to Jalen Guyton, and another to Nic Smith. Hall picked off a pass by Ben Hicks and returned it 36 yards for another Mean Green score.

SMU trailed 36-0, and had only one first down compared to University of North Texas's 27, before scored all of its points in the final 8 1/2 minutes of coach Sonny Dykes' debut with the Mustangs. Braeden West had a 5-yard TD run and Hicks threw two TD passes in the final 1:41 -- 59 yards to James Proche and 71 yards to West.

Read more at http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401014976

Frostie

I can’t imagine they were focused on TCU, they were underdogs in this game. Most likely they are just a really bad team.
Wow, did not realize they were underdogs. Always think of University of North Texas as a homecoming type game. Apparently they have come a long way.

LexiMax

Seth Littrell best mid major coach in the country. Great for DFW area football. Bad thing is he will probably scooped up next year. And University of North Texas OC Harrell probably going to Tech next year.

Big Frog II

Seth Littrell best mid major coach in the country. Great for DFW area football. Bad thing is he will probably scooped up next year. And University of North Texas OC Harrell probably going to Tech next year.
He is a good coach. Surprised SMU did not try to hire him.

Chongo94

Most Tech fans seem to want Littrell over Harrell although there seem to be a growing number that don’t want anyone associated with the Leach coaching tree. Guess they’ve finally had enough of that offensive system.

Chongo94

Wow, did not realize they were underdogs. Always think of University of North Texas as a homecoming type game. Apparently they have come a long way.

University of North Texas absolutely dominated them. It was a fun game to watch. SMU didn’t start really scoring until University of North Texas started emptying its bench. Mason Fine sliced them up at will.

f_399

I think IF Patterson gets a comfortable lead on Friday he will take it easy on SMU.

I am sure he does not want to ruin the career of Sonny Dykes.

If it was someone like Art Briles, he probably couldn’t care less.

SnoSki

I wandered over to Ponyfans today. They average about three people online discussing football. I suspect that football is close to being over at SMU.

They’d be a great basketball only school, at least from a cultural fit standpoint. They see themselves in line with some of the smaller east coast schools, academically speaking.

I can’t imagine they were focused on TCU, they were underdogs in this game. Most likely they are just a really bad team.

I will repeat myself, We are their Superbowl. I remember 97 when we were 0-10 and they were playing for a bowl invite. I remember 05 when we had a great team, beat Zero U and lost to them. This year we need to hang 50 on them and blow them out early.