• The KillerFrogs

Louisville

Froginbedford

Anyone have the 2001, 2002, 2003 games with Louisville on DVD? The first two were blowout surprises (the only Louisville loss in 2001) and the third was a nail-biter....I remember the 2002 game was there, and homecoming for Louisville...IIRC, the Frogs were up 38-7 at halftime and the Louisville fans were booing their own team as it left the field....Good times, good times....

Zubaz

They had lost one other game in 2001, but they definitely had run the table in CUSA. If I remember correctly, our opening play was an 80 yard bomb, we kicked an onside kick, scored a TD, and with like 12 minutes left in the 1st quarter we were up 14-0.

The Carter was largely empty, it was the Thanksgiving break, and I remember my buddies and I just spent the entire time ragging on "#9!!" because he dropped a pass or something. To the point where he turned around and flashed is 1/2 of a peace sign (and not the good half). He would go on to be future Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch. I like to think we had a hand in that.

TCU2002

In 2001, I was in attandance (senior year, in the band). Everyone was bitter that we had to shorten our Thanksgiving break in order to attend the final home game of a lost season (the home opener was that terrible loss to Northwestern State). We had also lost a home game with Marshall due to the September 11 attack. It was a crap season, or so it appeared. The crazy start to the game certainly improved our attitude about the whole thing. I vividly remember watching the following game, on the road at Southern Miss, then the Frogs pulled it out to become bowl eligible. What followed, of course, was the pitiful Furniture Bowl performance against Texas A&M and the whole Casey Printers fiasco. So, it was back to a crap season. But, at least the Louisville game was cool.

In 2002 I was in grad school at Indiana University-Bloomington. Despite being only 90 minutes from Louisville, I could not make it to that game for some reason. I had already driven to Cincinnati for the 2002 season opener (a terrible blown lead and loss) and to Chicagoland for a game at Northwestern (a win). I was able to pick up a Louisville radio station while driving around town and remember hearing one of the late first half touchdowns. The "what the hell" tone of voice was glorious. We were two inexplicable road losses - the come from ahead loss to Cincy and a stupid loss to an East Carolina team which finished 4-8 - from running the table that year.

I do have the 2003 game on VHS. We all remember that one. I forgot that the Louisville kicker missed three FGs in the game, the last one being the final play. I remember that, despite it being Wednesday night, the attendance was around 30,000. It sounds pitiful today, but at that time getting 30,000 on a Saturday was still quite rare. The table was set for the climax to that season against Cincinnati, when 40,000+ were in the Carter and everyone was throwing bags of Tostitos around. Then came the terrible night in Hattiesburg, whch had been site of the season saving win just two years before.

MTfrog5

In 2001, I was in attandance (senior year, in the band). Everyone was bitter that we had to shorten our Thanksgiving break in order to attend the final home game of a lost season (the home opener was that terrible loss to Northwestern State). We had also lost a home game with Marshall due to the September 11 attack. It was a crap season, or so it appeared. The crazy start to the game certainly improved our attitude about the whole thing. I vividly remember watching the following game, on the road at Southern Miss, then the Frogs pulled it out to become bowl eligible. What followed, of course, was the pitiful Furniture Bowl performance against Texas A&M and the whole Casey Printers fiasco. So, it was back to a crap season. But, at least the Louisville game was cool.

In 2002 I was in grad school at Indiana University-Bloomington. Despite being only 90 minutes from Louisville, I could not make it to that game for some reason. I had already driven to Cincinnati for the 2002 season opener (a terrible blown lead and loss) and to Chicagoland for a game at Northwestern (a win). I was able to pick up a Louisville radio station while driving around town and remember hearing one of the late first half touchdowns. The "what the hell" tone of voice was glorious. We were two inexplicable road losses - the come from ahead loss to Cincy and a stupid loss to an East Carolina team which finished 4-8 - from running the table that year.

I do have the 2003 game on VHS. We all remember that one. I forgot that the Louisville kicker missed three FGs in the game, the last one being the final play. I remember that, despite it being Wednesday night, the attendance was around 30,000. It sounds pitiful today, but at that time getting 30,000 on a Saturday was still quite rare. The table was set for the climax to that season against Cincinnati, when 40,000+ were in the Carter and everyone was throwing bags of Tostitos around. Then came the terrible night in Hattiesburg, whch had been site of the season saving win just two years before.
That 2003 Cincinnati game is still in top 5 games I’ve been to

LVH

I think the 2002 game was Tye Gunn's first game to start, or at the very least his coming out party. No one really respected us at the time because of the bonehead loss to Cincy to open the year and then winning 5 straight against really bad teams.

The 2003 game was a great atmosphere. The weather was absolute [ Finebaum ] that entire week, and it was cold, and there was standing water on the field at gametime as it had rained all day. The fact we got as many in the stadium for that game as we did was impressive. I remember thinking we had the game put away, and Petrino called for a fake field goal that they converted for a TD that put them back in it.

I don't think our 2003 team was that good compared to the record. We played to the level of our competition all year. Nailbiters against terrible teams, squeaking by against the good ones. That Arizona team we beat in overtime was terrible and lost something like 62-3 the week before to Purdue. You could see the Southern Miss loss coming from a mile away. The pass defense issues that killed us in 2004 started to rear its head toward the 2nd half of the 2003 season. I don't think we would have gone to the BCS had we run the table with Kansas State stealing a bid. Had we gone unbeaten we probably play Urban's Utah team in the Liberty Bowl.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Which year was it that Louisville was ranked and we were beating them and yelling “overrated!”? We planned on rushing the field but can’t remember if we did. Maybe I landed on my head after jumping over the wall.

Zubaz

Which year was it that Louisville was ranked and we were beating them and yelling “overrated!”? We planned on rushing the field but can’t remember if we did. Maybe I landed on my head after jumping over the wall.
I don't remember that, but it must have been 2001. We only played them at home twice (2001 and 2003), and in 2003 we were the higher rated team. As @TCU2002 said, we were pretty bad in 2001 and we blew the doors off of them when they were 1-loss and ranked around #15, so that would make sense.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I don't remember that, but it must have been 2001. We only played them at home twice (2001 and 2003), and in 2003 we were the higher rated team. As @TCU2002 said, we were pretty bad in 2001 and we blew the doors off of them when they were 1-loss and ranked around #15, so that would make sense.
I was still in high school that year, so that checks out. Thanks.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The 2001 game was a good memory. We were flying back from Cat Island (Bahamas, just south of Eleuthera) after experiencing an absolutely fabulous trip, and had a one-night layover in Hollywood before we picked up our Texas bound flight. We piled in to a nearly-deserted Sportsbar next to our hotel to eat some dinner, and there were the Frogs on the TV! We watched the game and just laughed...

ShadowFrog

Moderators

Good history

MTfrog5

I think Patterson blitzed 95% of the snaps that night. Was a fun game to watch