• The KillerFrogs

New redshirt rule

MinFrog

I may have missed this discussion, but I haven’t seen it yet.

What is the best way to use the new redshirt rule? Play the freshmen in the warm up games against lesser competition? Hold them out until you need depth against the Oklahoma teams? Wait u til the end of the year to give them as much time to pick up the system?

Limp Lizard

There was another article which linked Sptspage, to which I am not a subscriber. No comments on that post. Disappointed because the article was by LeBreton and specifically addressed TCU. Gotta drop some other subscriptions and get that one, I guess.

Anyway, I imagine the rule will be applied on a case-by-case situation. Some players, yeah just get their feet wet in a college game and more ready for next year. Other players, get better experience to back up depth or get them ready to step in next year. Really glad to see that rule, though.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the coupon code needed to sign up for sptspage? Trying to subscribe but won’t let me proceed without code.
Thanks!

Gil LeBreton

We started Sptspage back in March and, yes, we are a pay site. Our subscription price ($4.95 per month, $50 for the year) is less than 17 cents a day.

We charge for subscriptions so that our writers can be paid something for the time, effort and experienced perspective they bring to our stories. All of our writers were at one time employed by either the Fort Worth Star-Telegram or Dallas Morning News, and in some cases both. People like yours truly, Jim Reeves, Gary West, Carlos Mendez, John Henry, Jimmy Burch, Jan Hubbard and Marjorie Lewis.

We contain no ads, no annoying pop-up videos, no videos from things that don't even pertain to the stories -- nothing that would distract from the reader experience, even if you're reading us on your smartphone.

We want to stay ad-free, so that's why we charge a modest amount for a subscription. We offer a free seven-day trial before your credit card is charged. You can cancel at any time during that week. Unlike other publications, our subscription price will not go up once you start.

To receive your free trial, you do have to sign up and enter a credit card. The card will not be charged until after your seven-day trial has completed.

The sign-up box contains a line that asks for a coupon, but you shouldn't have one, unless you've gotten it specifically from me. Anybody else who is reading Sptspage with a coupon isn't doing it legally (and, frankly, isn't being fair to our team of writers).

Zubaz

So now we're getting ads for Sptspage in non-article threads? I get that you were referenced in passing, but this isn't a thread about that website.

Best of luck to you Gil, I really mean that, but can we ease up just a touch?

We started Sptspage back in March and, yes, we are a pay site. Our subscription price ($4.95 per month, $50 for the year) is less than 17 cents a day.

We charge for subscriptions so that our writers can be paid something for the time, effort and experienced perspective they bring to our stories. All of our writers were at one time employed by either the Fort Worth Star-Telegram or Dallas Morning News, and in some cases both. People like yours truly, Jim Reeves, Gary West, Carlos Mendez, John Henry, Jimmy Burch, Jan Hubbard and Marjorie Lewis.

We contain no ads, no annoying pop-up videos, no videos from things that don't even pertain to the stories -- nothing that would distract from the reader experience, even if you're reading us on your smartphone.

We want to stay ad-free, so that's why we charge a modest amount for a subscription. We offer a free seven-day trial before your credit card is charged. You can cancel at any time during that week. Unlike other publications, our subscription price will not go up once you start.

To receive your free trial, you do have to sign up and enter a credit card. The card will not be charged until after your seven-day trial has completed.

The sign-up box contains a line that asks for a coupon, but you shouldn't have one, unless you've gotten it specifically from me. Anybody else who is reading Sptspage with a coupon isn't doing it legally (and, frankly, isn't being fair to our team of writers).
Keep up the good work, Gil. I’m a satisfied subscriber.

Ron Swanson

No because they don’t exist.
76b0.gif

JugbandFrog

I was only answering the above direct comment about a "coupon."
And there have been a few comments/complaints on these pages about us being a "pay site." I was simply explaining why we charge.
Don’t engage Gil...you’ll end up in a 12 page battle about the correlation between squats, vertical jump, draftability, and whether or not you’d bang the Baylor Beer Thief.

TemCatFrog71

I believe that the biggest problem in playing 'red shirts" early in the year against weaker opponents and mop up duty in blowout wins is that 1) you need to play your starters in those early games to let them get ready for the season )conditioning and snaps), you don't need red shirts getting those snaps when they will not be a big part of your season and 2) in mop up games, if you have any, you have past year red shirts, sophs and red shirt juniors who will be front line guys the next year that will need all the playing time they can get. I think the most likely use of the new rule will allow those rare uses of a "red shirted' players and still get to keep that year of eligiblity.