• The KillerFrogs

Sptspage: Patterson on new NCAA transfer rule: 'Terrible'

Gil LeBreton

Patterson has a word for the new NCAA transfer rules: 'Terrible'

By GIL LeBRETON

Under the guise of “transparency and open conversation between coaches and student-athletes,” the NCAA’s Division I Council rewrote its rules on transfers last week.

“Terrible,” said TCU football coach Gary Patterson.

“The bottom line is it’s not a good rule. And I don’t really like it.”

Simply put, beginning in October, athletes will be allowed to transfer to another Division I school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

Alabama coach Nick Saban likened the new system to “free agency” for college football.

A Greek chorus of fellow coaches echoed Saban’s and Patterson’s reactions.

Read more at: https://sptspage.com/patterson-has-a-word-for-the-new-ncaa-transfer-rules-terrible/

Dman890

They can still fix this at the conference level. Can impose a sit out period if you transfer in conference or something similar.

Gunner

Understand coaches have to deal with a lot of problems. But so do kids. I never understood why kids had to be punished for moving on. There must be limits and I'm for that. But making a kid sit out a whole year, that is extreme.

If a player decides he made a mistake, it could be better for the team and everyone involved if he can easily move on. On balance, I don't see how one team is disadvantaged anymore than the other.

A six game sit out, might be a better solution. Transferring to any school seems to me, not to hurt anybody except the kid. Can understand coaches' attitude, but you will notice, not one sports writer will ask players' their opinion.

Gil LeBreton

Undergraduate transfers must still sit out one year.

Transfers who have obtained their degrees are eligible at the start of the next semester/quarter.

Those things have not changed. What has changed is the necessity to get permission from the current school (even graduates) in order to transfer and receive a scholarship.

The SEC had a rule that forbade transfers within the conference without a waiver. With the NCAA's announcement this past week, the SEC no longer has that rule and, in fact, Alabama had some kid transfer to Tennessee.

Conferences are unlikely to adopt any league-specific transfer rules in light of this new legislation.

What may happen, as Gary Patterson said, is universities will seek to define the window when a student-athlete on scholarship may declare that he wants to transfer.

Of course, the kids would say that they should be able to transfer any time to any place. But that would be chaos. Schools would be poaching players from other teams all season long. Abuses would be rampant.

jack the frog

Undergraduate transfers must still sit out one year.

Transfers who have obtained their degrees are eligible at the start of the next semester/quarter.

Those things have not changed. What has changed is the necessity to get permission from the current school (even graduates) in order to transfer and receive a scholarship.

The SEC had a rule that forbade transfers within the conference without a waiver. With the NCAA's announcement this past week, the SEC no longer has that rule and, in fact, Alabama had some kid transfer to Tennessee.

Conferences are unlikely to adopt any league-specific transfer rules in light of this new legislation.

What may happen, as Gary Patterson said, is universities will seek to define the window when a student-athlete on scholarship may declare that he wants to transfer.

Of course, the kids would say that they should be able to transfer any time to any place. But that would be chaos. Schools would be poaching players from other teams all season long. Abuses would be rampant.

That is how I read it. I do believe they were considering the anytime anyplace transfer rule or at least discussing it but it pooped out.

Eight

gil,

thanks for the reply and info. one question about the grad transfer being able to transfer without sitting out at the next academic term.

any restrictions on sports in season that extend over multiple academic terms?

example, a basketball player is a december grad and during the early part of the season a highly regarded team in conference losses a player for the year at the same position as our december grad. would the december grad be able to transfer to the other time in time for the new academic period which also happens to be the remainder of the season?

So is Patterson and the rest of these guys going to refuse to take some intra-conference transfer on principle?
I understand this is meant to be a rhetorical question but I would find nothing hypocritical in CGP criticizing the rule yet accepting transfers whose schools did not want them coming to TCU. Nothing inconsistent there

Zubaz

I'll buy criticism of the rule change as soon as the same"permission" / waiting period rules are implemented on coaches choosing to make a move.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
This rule will be a disaster.

The SEC/Ohio State will benefit the most from this crap. The allure of College football is almost dead. It will only take a few seasons until it’s completely dead.

asleep003

This rule will be a disaster.

The SEC/Ohio State will benefit the most from this crap. The allure of College football is almost dead. It will only take a few seasons until it’s completely dead.

Or maybe quality bench players with much less playing time than desired, say enough of this and split. TCU could possibly benefit more.

Think of all the quality players, at 18, who thought the Big stadium school was the way to go, Then at 20 or 21 their dreams dashed by more and more 4* and 5*s entering it's program. Sure there could be lots of replacement diamonds in the rough for the Frogs, whose players depart TCU.

But a reasonable time, is in line... say at the end of the Spring Semester for football. Then the carousel begins. Will need a full time desk job to handle this

P

purplePPO

Understand coaches have to deal with a lot of problems. But so do kids. I never understood why kids had to be punished for moving on. There must be limits and I'm for that. But making a kid sit out a whole year, that is extreme.

If a player decides he made a mistake, it could be better for the team and everyone involved if he can easily move on. On balance, I don't see how one team is disadvantaged anymore than the other.

A six game sit out, might be a better solution. Transferring to any school seems to me, not to hurt anybody except the kid. Can understand coaches' attitude, but you will notice, not one sports writer will ask players' their opinion.

It's probably because they have their college tuition being paid for by the college!
No matter how much it may be or from whichever school is paying for it. That is significant!!

MagicFrog

I'll buy criticism of the rule change as soon as the same"permission" / waiting period rules are implemented on coaches choosing to make a move.

Except a player is a student athlete getting a free ride while coach is an employee, two different things. Coaches have earned their stripes, the players haven’t even earned a degree. They are not equal and above all else student athletes are students who are participating in an elective and working toward a degree, They aren’t employees.

This rule and others like it will result in even less focus on players being students first and working toward their degree.

Casey T

I don't expect the poaching to be as common as some think because of the one year sit out rule. If I'm a kid, I don't want to finish a season with K-State in Dec 2018, transfer to LSU, and not play in another game until Sep 2020. That's nearly 2 years on top of moving to a new place where you don't know anybody. But maybe I'm wrong, we'll see

Eight

Except a player is a student athlete getting a free ride while coach is an employee, two different things. Coaches have earned their stripes, the players haven’t even earned a degree. They are not equal and above all else student athletes are students who are participating in an elective and working toward a degree, They aren’t employees.

This rule and others like it will result in even less focus on players being students first and working toward their degree.

except that if a player gets their degree they can transfer where ever they wish with the fewest restrictions. it would seem that if a player wants to take control they would actually get their degree to reduce the number of restrictions.

Zubaz

Except a player is a student athlete getting a free ride while coach is an employee, two different things. Coaches have earned their stripes, the players haven’t even earned a degree. They are not equal
So we should hold 18-22 year olds who are not getting paid (at least not directly) to a higher standard and commitment than professionals earning millions of dollars a year? Seems a bit off, personally.

I fully recognize the need to maintain a certain level of competitive parity, you don't want annual free agency in any sport. However, the idea that an otherwise transfer-eligible student needs to get permission to transfer to another university? Please.

and above all else student athletes are students who are participating in an elective and working toward a degree
tumblr_m32ucneVaW1rut0ggo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

kidkarr

Or maybe quality bench players with much less playing time than desired, say enough of this and split. TCU could possibly benefit more.

Think of all the quality players, at 18, who thought the Big stadium school was the way to go, Then at 20 or 21 their dreams dashed by more and more 4* and 5*s entering it's program. Sure there could be lots of replacement diamonds in the rough for the Frogs, whose players depart TCU.

But a reasonable time, is in line... say at the end of the Spring Semester for football. Then the carousel begins. Will need a full time desk job to handle this
This is where I’m at on the issue. The schools that have quality 4-5 stars on the two and three deep might be the most effected. We will see