• The KillerFrogs

Shohei Ohtani

LisaLT

Are you an Angels fan? I was wondering who your favorite team is :)
The Sho was a no show during the NYY series. I went to 2 of the 3 games (sat and Sun) and was hoping to watch him but he got injured. Yanks were on fire during that series. Usually NOT the case when they come to the west coast.

FBallFan123

Are you an Angels fan? I was wondering who your favorite team is :)
The Sho was a no show during the NYY series. I went to 2 of the 3 games (sat and Sun) and was hoping to watch him but he got injured. Yanks were on fire during that series. Usually NOT the case when they come to the west coast.

The Yankees are rolling now.

Well, I love baseball in general and follow the sport closely. I'm A's fan, although growing up my dad was a die hard Yankees fan, and still is, so I've always followed them since we talk Yankees often.

I know, it's a bit of a conflict, given the A's status as a Yankees farm club....but it is what it is. lol

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
The Yankees are rolling now.

Well, I love baseball in general and follow the sport closely. I'm A's fan, although growing up my dad was a die hard Yankees fan, and still is, so I've always followed them since we talk Yankees often.

I know, it's a bit of a conflict, given the A's status as a Yankees farm club....but it is what it is. lol
I thought for sure you'd be a FBallFan.

IdiotsAlert

What Ohtani is doing is revolutionary...and it really took his situation: a Japanese player coming over as a free agent for basically a nothing contract to force MLB teams to agree to let him do both.

But this could lead to major changes in the way teams handle prospects that can both hit and pitch.

The next test case will be Brendan McKay....who some scouts considered a top 10 pick in last yea'rs draft as both a hitter and a pitcher.

He's one to really follow...because he's going to do both in the Ray's system and we'll see how far he goes doing both, and whether he can do it all the way to Tampa Bay.

Isn't it more de-evolutionary?

hometown frog

For those who have read the book, The Arm, Ohtani needing TJ is a shot to the Japanese method of baseball training and arm care. Both Darvish and now Ohtani have come over here and needed TJ within a year.

Whoever solves the riddle of the arm is gonna be a rich rich human....

MTfrog5

For those who have read the book, The Arm, Ohtani needing TJ is a shot to the Japanese method of baseball training and arm care. Both Darvish and now Ohtani have come over here and needed TJ within a year.

Haven’t read that book but I’d like to see the number of guys that need TJ that’s best pitch is a split finger. That puts a ton of stress on the elbow

LisaLT

Sorry to read that he's gone for the season, but I have to say, I'm not completely shocked. When the Yankees acquired Tanaka a few years back there was concern about the workload of a MLB starting pitcher compared to what these Japanese pitchers are used to. Tanaka had some injury issues and problems in the beginning until he was properly conditioned to handle this kind of schedule. The Yankees learned quickly, and have been very smart with how they have developed Tanaka. I wonder if this will change how they use him in the future - as a pitcher or just a hitter.

TCaliU

Sorry to read that he's gone for the season, but I have to say, I'm not completely shocked. When the Yankees acquired Tanaka a few years back there was concern about the workload of a MLB starting pitcher compared to what these Japanese pitchers are used to. Tanaka had some injury issues and problems in the beginning until he was properly conditioned to handle this kind of schedule. The Yankees learned quickly, and have been very smart with how they have developed Tanaka. I wonder if this will change how they use him in the future - as a pitcher or just a hitter.
Hes not done for the season. Angels are hoping he can at least come back and hit come early July. Will be re-evaluated for throwing again after that.

TCaliU

Also looks like a decent number of Japanese pitchers have had TJS.

LisaLT

Hes not done for the season. Angels are hoping he can at least come back and hit come early July. Will be re-evaluated for throwing again after that.
I read that the earliest he would be playing again is 2020. Tommy John surgery has to take more than a few weeks to recover from, no? Is he not having surgery?