• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why a softball program isn't coming to TCU any time soon

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why a softball program isn't coming to TCU any time soon

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

TCU will have to add another female sport in the next year or two to move closer to a balanced set of scholarships to satisfy its Title IX compliance.

What might that sport be? Think inexpensive and relatively easy to start up.

That means hopes of TCU creating a softball program are unlikely any time soon. Softball would require an estimated $60 million in start-up costs, which would include a stadium. But money isn't the only issue. TCU's campus is already bursting at the seams. There is no obvious space to build a softball stadium.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article212569474.html

Frogo

If correct, that's a shame. Softball is becoming more highly visible. Not having a team hurts the school overall.

GoFrog Yourself

If correct, that's a shame. Softball is becoming more highly visible. Not having a team hurts the school overall.

giphy.gif

froginmn

Do you people really spend time watching a lot of softball? I’m just a little surprised at the level interest. My only interest in the sport is that is aggravating that it relegates baseball regionals to find hard to find decent tv coverage.
My daughter plays and I coach, so I spend every weekend and a few weeknights watching. But I think the answer is probably no for just about everybody. I watch regionals and CWS but rarely a college game otherwise.

My daughter might be at TCU in two years but she isn't a D1 level player. Maybe she could help start it as a club sport?

TCU2002

Women's lacrosse would seem to make some sense because the game's format is easily accomodated by the existing soccer stadium. Travel costs would be high because most leagues are based out east. Still, it is a sport mainly composed of players from more affluent backgrounds and would likely promote geographic diversity, giving more Midwest and East Coast students a reason to look at TCU.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I just wish they’d add it as an excuse to build a new baseball stadium. Convert Lupton and it’d be a top-of-the-line softball complex. Build a new baseball stadium that rivals the new facilities in the SEC West. Done and done.
From what I’ve read, in order to rival the SEC, we’d have to build the modern equivalent of the Astrodome combined with the Taj Mahal.

Big Frog II

I just wish they’d add it as an excuse to build a new baseball stadium. Convert Lupton and it’d be a top-of-the-line softball complex. Build a new baseball stadium that rivals the new facilities in the SEC West. Done and done.
With the your check, we can get it done.

Do you people really spend time watching a lot of softball? I’m just a little surprised at the level interest. My only interest in the sport is that is aggravating that it relegates baseball regionals to find hard to find decent tv coverage.
No, but I don't know that that is the point, really. If TCU had a softball team, I personally would watch when I could and attend some games to support the team. That, as opposed to sports absolutely no one watches or cares about just to achieve Title IX compliance. I understand the issues but given the choice, I'd rather invest in a mainstream sport with an abundance of local talent than throw more dollars at compliance for compliance sake that yields absolutely zero return to no one except for the participants. There's only so much money to go around so I don't fault anyone for feeling different, just my own opinion.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Women need a viable income producing sport. Something at minimum that approaches what baseball pulls in. Something that will have low overhead as far as facilities are concerned.

I think a study of intercollegiate pole dancing has potential. Plus, you can double duty the facilities for the annual Festivus celebration...

Seriously, until women support their sports in numbers, Title IX is just a drain on the rest of the resources.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I'd be all for womens softball if they would put in a rule banning all the incessant dugout chants and chatter. It is mind numbing and makes me grab for the remote.