• The KillerFrogs

WFAA: TCU founder's great-great-granddaughter prepares to graduate from same school

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
WFAA: TCU founder's great-great-granddaughter prepares to graduate from same school

Author: Lauren Zakalik

Like most TCU students, senior Zoey Clark has walked past the statue of the university's founders countless times in her four years on campus. It's featured prominently on the mall.

But unlike most TCU students, the statue is more to her than just a landmark; it's a piece of family history.

"I feel incredibly proud, I do," Clark said Friday, the day before she's set to graduate. "Randolph Clark, one of the founders, was my great-great-grandfather."

Read more at https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/l...es-to-graduate-from-same-school/287-551363710

ShadowFrog

Moderators
On the Veterans Plaza plaques there is an Mitchell Olen Sadler Jr. listed as died in service World War II, class of ‘65. Is this a family member of Dr. M.E. Sadler?

TemCatFrog71

Shadow, in the 1930 census, MacGruder Ellis Sadler was living with his wife and one daughter in Indianapolis, Indiana. If Owen had been his son, then in 1930 he would have been at least 8 or 9 to have fought in WWII. So I doubt if he was M.E.'s son, but could have been a nephew ... possibly.

froginmn

Shadow, in the 1930 census, MacGruder Ellis Sadler was living with his wife and one daughter in Indianapolis, Indiana. If Owen had been his son, then in 1930 he would have been at least 8 or 9 to have fought in WWII. So I doubt if he was M.E.'s son, but could have been a nephew ... possibly.
Are you related to Deep?

Seriously though, respect on the research.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Yes, I too respect the research.
Possibly cousin, extended family?
For a Sadler to be in Veterans Plaza as well on our signature central building less than 50 yards away—seemed to me had to be related.

ShadowFrog

Moderators

Updated
After a long overdue walk thru the plaza today I updated my post (once I stepped off campus & free from the TCU no WiFi zone) — it is Mitchell Olen Sadler Jr., class of ‘65.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Found him:

http://www.virtualwall.org/ds/SadlerMO01a.htm

http://www.virtualwall.org/js/Profile.htm

Rhino driver
Tiger FAC
Pilot, F-4 Phantom
Died in combat
Went down over Laos 30 June 70 on a Fast FAC mission (those take even Bigger Balls as there were no NavAids in the area)
Body never recovered
Flew with the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron - the Fighting Bulls
Part of the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing
Libertas Vel Mors (Liberty or Death)

Squadron later reorganized as a training unit for European/NATO Joint Jet Training (ENJJT) that still fly over campus in the distinctive Black Jets outta Sheppard AFB nearby.

Captain Sadler was a hardcore Mans Man.
And a Horned Frog.