• The KillerFrogs

OT: Worthington or Omni?

TCUdirtbag

Haven't they recently renovated the Worthington?

Yes.

Ashton should be your first choice. From there, am I the only one that prefers the Hilton to the Omni and Worthington? I’ve always liked that hotel and it’s location on Main and across from Del’s.

If you’re going to be downtown most of the time, I’d probably go Worthington over Omni. The Omni is pretty loud, parking is overpriced and takes a while, and is a little off the main drag. Plus is the relentless small group of protesters still hanging out over there? They’re super annoying.

Chongo94

The other thing about the Omni is if you’re there on a weekend or just even the week that some type of convention is going on across the street, it’s a madhouse.

Frog-in-law1995

Yes.

Ashton should be your first choice. From there, am I the only one that prefers the Hilton to the Omni and Worthington? I’ve always liked that hotel and it’s location on Main and across from Del’s.

If you’re going to be downtown most of the time, I’d probably go Worthington over Omni. The Omni is pretty loud, parking is overpriced and takes a while, and is a little off the main drag. Plus is the relentless small group of protesters still hanging out over there? They’re super annoying.

Yes, they’re still there. Started as a show of support for Jacqueline Craig but seems to have taken on a more general BLM tone lately. Not really sure why they’ve chosen that spot, though. There are at least 15 places further north in downtown where they’d draw more attention.

LeagueCityFrog

For you Houston people, a parallel excellent weekend in H-town would be Killen's STQ for dinner then the St. Regis or JW Marriott Galleria or Xochi and the Marriott Marquis downtown H-town.

Dogfrog

Yes.

Good point about Hilton. Stayed there a few days while house hunting couple years ago and was impressed. After spending 40 years traveling for a living, quiet is a premium asset.

HToady

I am not a fan of Del Frisco's. Much prefer Ruth's Chris or Silver Fox.
The problem with Del's is that they try to cram as many people in there as possible. Tables so close together it's difficult to move. The food is good, don't get me wrong, but if I'm going to spend $150+ per person, on a meal, I don't want some one sitting on my lap. Prefer Capital Grille....

tcumaniac

The problem with Del's is that they try to cram as many people in there as possible. Tables so close together it's difficult to move. The food is good, don't get me wrong, but if I'm going to spend $150+ per person, on a meal, I don't want some one sitting on my lap. Prefer Capital Grille....

I've been to Capital 3 different times, and every time the steak was insultingly bad. Overcooked, flavorless, room temperature, and gristlely.

I've tried their filet and "dry aged" NY Strip (which didn't taste dry aged).

Anyway, the rest of the dining experience is fine and on par with other fine dining restaurants... but I'd rather have a steak at Hoffbrau than from that place. 3 experiences. 3 awful steaks. If you like a fancy experience and enjoy bad steak, then Capital Grille is the place for you. Otherwise, steer clear.

Heck, they even burn their steak in their promotional videos.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I've been to Capital 3 different times, and every time the steak was insultingly bad. Overcooked, flavorless, room temperature, and gristlely.

Anyway, the rest of the dining experience is fine and on par with other fine dining restaurants... but I'd rather have a steak at Hoffbrau than from that place. 3 experiences. 3 awful steaks. If you like a fancy experience and enjoy bad steak, then Capital Grille is the place for you. Otherwise, steer clear.

Agreed. And let’s not forget that the same people that bring us Olive Garden and Red Lobster also own Capital Grille.

BABYFACE

My reply is not about Capital Grille. It is about how a steak is cooked.

Maniac, you are supposed to initially sear the meat on both sides to seal in the juices and tenderness. The sear on the outside is also caramelization that produces a good flavor. That is not burning a steak, whether one does that on a salamander type broiler or an open flame.

Hoffbrau and Outback cook steaks on a flat top grill, basically like putting a steak in a pan. That is fine for choice grade of beef but never would cook a prime grade that way.

tcumaniac

My reply is not about Capital Grille. It is about how a steak is cooked.

Maniac, you are supposed to initially sear the meat on both sides to seal in the juices and tenderness. The sear on the outside is also caramelization that produces a good flavor. That is not burning a steak, whether one does that on a salamander type broiler or an open flame.

Hoffbrau and Outback cook steaks on a flat top grill, basically like putting a steak in a pan. That is fine for choice grade of beef but never would cook a prime grade that way.
I agree with all of this. But that steak still looks burnt imo.

Dogfrog

I haven’t cooked steak outside for years. Too many variables out there. Get nice cut 1.5-2 inch thick steaks at room temp, brush with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Preheat a Cast iron skillet ( I have a 17 incher) yes you heard right - to 500F. Put the skillet in the oven before setting heat so it heats gradually.

At 500 remove the skillet and leave oven on at 500. Place skillet on a large burner at high heat. Turn on Jenn air as next step can be smoky. Place steaks in skillet and allow to sear 2 minutes. Turn with tongs and sear another 2 minutes. Move the skillet / steaks to the 500 oven. Allow to cook 2 minutes, remove skillet, turn steaks, and place skillet/steaks back in oven another two minutes. Remove steaks to a board and allow to sit untouched (don’t cut or pierce) for 5-10 mins. Middle should be around rare to med rare. Adjust cook times for desired doneness. Medium to med rare would probably be more like 2/2, 3/3. Not sure because I like rare. Serve.

Warning: be careful to use mits during this entire process. A 500-600 iron skillet will cook your hands.

Last edited:

Wexahu

I haven’t cooked steak outside for years. Too many variables out there. Get nice cut 1.5-2 inch thick steaks at room temp, brush with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Preheat a Cast iron skillet ( I have a 17 incher) yes you heard right - to 500F. Put the skillet in the oven before setting heat so it heats gradually.

At 500 remove the skillet and leave oven on at 500. Place skillet on a large burner at high heat. Turn on Jenn air as next step can be smoky. Place steaks in skillet and allow to sear 2 minutes. Turn with tongs and sear another 2 minutes. Move the skillet / steaks to the 500 oven. Allow to cook 2 minutes, remove skillet, turn steaks, and place skillet/steaks back in oven another two minutes. Remove steaks to a board and allow to sit untouched (don’t cut or pierce) for 5-10 mins. Middle should be around rare to med rare. Adjust cook times for desired doneness. Medium to med rare would probably be more like 3/3, 3/3. Not sure because I like rare. Serve.

Warning: be careful to use mits during this entire process. A 500-600 iron skillet will cook your hands.

Sounds like you're removed most of the variables.

If that much goes into cooking a good steak, I'll just have the restaurant do it.