8. The hard taco
9. The echarito
10. The gordita
11. The corn tortilla
12. The tamale
13. The taquito
14. The flauta
15. The fork
Commendable effort sir, not too many disagreements.

I would add "taco bell spork" ABOVE fork.

Frog-in-law1995

Thanks.

Been years, and I did note that the "beachfront" ones I saw were actually across a busy street.

Is there a beach beyond the seawall accessible by foot? I was probably about 7 the last time I was down there...

Yes if you rent a house, but I don’t think so if you’re in a hotel. Rentals at pretty cheap, too. We do a “friends and family” thing every 2-3 years down there and the Pirates Beach neighborhood is our go-to. We go through VRBO, I think (I don’t make the reservations). There are two walk-up entrances to the beach there, one at each end of the neighborhood. I will say, though, that last time we picked a house on the street closest to the highway, and the 5-block wall to the beach was a bit of a drag. If you look there, it’s worth it to get something closer, imo.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Quilter and phormer

Please explain what you mean by taquito.

And for the record... I like tamales, but I at least understand someone not liking them. When not done well, they have way too thick of a masa/hominy wrapping and not enough of a filling, and I can understand thinking they’re too dry.

Not long after graduating from TCU, I had a crappy job in east Austin. Our building was right next to a tamale factory and the sights and smells will never leave my memory. I have a friend who makes tamales at Christmas and she gives me some. Those I can eat, because I know how they were made. But commercially made tamales ? No way.

Not long after graduating from TCU, I had a crappy job in east Austin. Our building was right next to a tamale factory and the sights and smells will never leave my memory. I have a friend who makes tamales at Christmas and she gives me some. Those I can eat, because I know how they were made. But commercially made tamales ? No way.

My family makes tamales every year. It's probably my least-favorite day of the year. Those things are a pain in the ass!

Ron Swanson

Neither of you have answered my question about what you mean by taquito....

Are you talking about the fried rolled taco type things, or the Whataburger taquito type things? Or the little Mexican street tacos with onions and cilantro?

Last edited:

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Neither of you have answered my question about what you mean by taquito....

Are you talking about the fried rolled taco type things, or the Whataburger taquito type things?

Don't know about the Whataburger things, cuz I don't eat there very often. To me taquitos are these:
21-ct-chickencorn-taquito.png

Pretty much the same as flautas. I find them dry, and when you bite them, they shatter into a million pieces. There's so little filling, you hardly taste it. Like cupcakes, just not worth the effort.
However, my main support of Phormer's statement concerned the tamale, the reasons outlined in my previous post.
:)

netty2424

You can definitely darn up a tamale.

Our house keeper makes us tamales a couple times a year. Incredible. Perfect balance of filling to masa. Juicy and spicy.

And for the darned up tamales, put a little chili on them if they're dry and you got something delicious there.

Ron Swanson

Don't know about the Whataburger things, cuz I don't eat there very often. To me taquitos are these:
21-ct-chickencorn-taquito.png

Pretty much the same as flautas. I find them dry, and when you bite them, they shatter into a million pieces. There's so little filling, you hardly taste it. Like cupcakes, just not worth the effort.
However, my main support of Phormer's statement concerned the tamale, the reasons outlined in my previous post.
:)
That’s like saying Totino’s Pizza Rolls are the worst Italian food