• The KillerFrogs

Fear the Lavender....

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
My apologies. I can’t imagine being there and/or involved with TCU during that event.

I didn’t mean for that to sound like a hand slap. If you weren’t around, it doesn’t mean much. Knew someone that went to the 9/11 Memorial a few years ago and a bunch of jr hi kids were joking about it and thought it was disgraceful until he realized they hadn’t even been born yet in 01.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
We lived in Wedgewood and some other coaches' boys lived in the neighborhood. I remember some backyard pickup football games with Alec Tohill (?) and a Bourgeois (sp?) boy. We went to Westcreek Elementary.

I don’t remember Tohill’s kids, if any. If it was Alec Pittman I hope the former VamaLB took it easy on you!
My family went to the game at Baylor while I was trick or treating. I remember Dad describing what happened when they got home. Sad.

ECoastFrog

Me too, arrived ‘77 August for band basic training 2 weeks before the rest of campus. Drove right up the rear of Clark hall & offloaded my crap from dads 1973 Malibu & reported to duty marching my scrawny little butt every day from 0800–not for the faint of heart tho we did have some fainters. Halftime in September was ShowTime when we marched in heavy wool uniforms, sweatin’ Balls, already down 45-0 on scoreboard.

Good ole daze......

No doubt, our band is highly under-appreciated. I was a music ed major but in choral music. I saw how hard you folks worked. Thanks for the memories. Maybe the FB team couldn't play, but our band sure could!!!

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Yep, down at half after he died in the back of a McClelkand County Sheriff car. Ended up up winning with a lot of tears.

It was a Tarrant County Sheriff's car, driven down to Waco by Lon Evans. The stand-by ambulance had taken Buster Brannon to the hospital already, and there were no more ambulances nearby. So, Lon had them load the coach into his vehicle and took him to the hospital. Coach Pittman was probably dead as soon as he fell to the ground.

Virginia Frog

Me too, arrived ‘77 August for band basic training 2 weeks before the rest of campus. Drove right up the rear of Clark hall & offloaded my crap from dads 1973 Malibu & reported to duty marching my scrawny little butt every day from 0800–not for the faint of heart tho we did have some fainters. Halftime in September was ShowTime when we marched in heavy wool uniforms, sweatin’ Balls, already down 45-0 on scoreboard.

Good ole daze......

I was there in Fall '76 and "sat through" the 0-11 season (only 4 home games though) so in '77 with a 2-9 season with a "maybe" win vs Oregon at home that season was a bit of a picnic.

I always liked the marching band - the fellows that I knew in the band were good guys.

Than you for your service! Salute.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Yeah, A couple of us were right behind him and I remember thinking he somehow got jerked off his feet by his headset cord. I’m guessing he was gone before he hit the ground.

I was told it was a McClelland Sheriff, but we both may be wrong. The article below said it was a private car, not that it matters. Someone told me that the team doc cut him open and gave manual heart massage in the car. Have no idea if true or not. All in all a pretty bad night.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/tcu-horned-frogs-baylor-bears-big-12-jim-pittman-081715

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I didn’t mean for that to sound like a hand slap. If you weren’t around, it doesn’t mean much. Knew someone that went to the 9/11 Memorial a few years ago and a bunch of jr hi kids were joking about it and thought it was disgraceful until he realized they hadn’t even been born yet in 01.

Concur.
One of those “if it were my call, I’ld have one of these soldiers on post at the 911 memorial all day, every day” just like the Tomb of the Unknown:

Gunner

There is no explanation as to considerations when it comes to uniform selection. Coaches usually make the final decisions but don't know a damn thing about visuals. The biggest audience for college football is the TV audience. Never considered.

Players have influence, as when one commented last year the 'greys" were his favorite. They will spend endless money to Nike who think , "what's it look like in my hand".

By far, far, far, the games we watch on TV, show the Frogs in a standard dull looking "blue". Mindless.

Have made a giant gamble before expressing my thoughts on this, to upper folks, but nobody listens, kinda' like my wife.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Concur.
One of those “if it were my call, I’ld have one of these soldiers on post at the 911 memorial all day, every day” just like the Tomb of the Unknown:

Interesting unit that comes from the 3rd Infantry, also called Toy Soldiers, 3rd Herd, Old Guard. Not sure if the requirement have changed, but used to have to be right at 6’, wear special heel taps on their shoes and on butt stock of ceremonial rifles. Shirts have button inside the pants to keep it tight and they have a dressing room behind and below the tomb. These guys also do the caisson military burials. Some of the tedium during the daily, sometimes multiple trips during the Vietnam war caused a bit of irreverance. One told me they got in big trouble for quietly chanting on the way, “ashes to ashes, dust to dust, let’s bury this f@#&er and get on the bus.” This did not go over well when the brass found out and thus caused some friction from those who were in country that heard of this and may have coined the term Toy Soldiers (it isn’t true they were all recruited from A&M). In any event, these guys likely ended regretting any irreverence as they rotated out and into combat units. The guy I met said he only heard these stories and that his experience was an honor and they had a real esprit de corps...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Concur.

Had the embarrassing and unfortunate dishonor of being called on the carpet just like that there. Once on a family vacation when my brother was torturing me. Just as my dad grabbed us to shut up, the guard stopped and gave the canned order. My dad was so humiliated I thought we’d never live to see dinner.

Then again in the early 90s I tried to keep a respectful distance (I thought) taking pictures with an auto zoom, my last frame was used and the auto rewind kicked in. As I ran away trying to muffle the sound, I heard the same embarrassing command!

I’m probably on a watch list forbidden to enter now. Very embarrassing!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Ouch Hoosier!
That’s quite a pair of auspiciousness.
Allow me to provide some humor to balance.
I found this listed as “commercial filmed but never aired” but still funny.
GI Joe anyone?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Ouch Hoosier!
That’s quite a pair of auspiciousness.
Allow me to provide some humor to balance.
I found this listed as “commercial filmed but never aired” but still funny.
GI Joe anyone?

Dolls for boys (that didn’t inflate) was a big no no in the dark ages.

We had rocks and sticks and were told to be grateful!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Lipstick on pig, it’s still a pig...

Growing up, I did not have my own GIJoe, maybe that’s one of the reasons I enlisted later. Have you seen the new ones now that Gunny Ermey sells? Comes in 2 versions—regular “motivational” or... “extra Salty.” Be careful which one you “gift” to your impressionable nephews.