• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: Options abound in TCU quarterback competition

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
IMG_0052-200x300.jpg

Options abound in TCU quarterback competition

By Garrett Podell

During the search to find Kenny Hill’s replacement as the next Horned Frog quarterback, TCU head coach Gary Patterson has found the position group to be as deep as its ever been.

“Best first two days of spring we’ve had in two years,” Patterson said of his quarterbacks. “All three probably spinning it better the first two days of the spring than we have in two years.”

Shawn Robinson, who played in six of TCU’s thirteen games as a true freshman, including a win in his only start in Lubbock against Texas Tech, is the likely starter Patterson said, but Justin Rogers and Penn transfer Michael Collins have also impressed.

“Shawn Robinson is probably the leading candidate because he’s started a game and won it,” Patterson said. “He’s been here and learned how to manage and prepare for a ball game during the week. The best part about that was I don’t think he understood what to do. You go into Lubbock to play a ball game as the starting quarterback, that’s hard to do. He threw the ball well, missed a couple routes, but found a way to win the ball game.”

Read more at https://www.tcu360.com/2018/03/options-abound-in-tcu-quarterback-competition/

East Coast

Tier 1
Did the Muehl graduate and leave? He has a year of eligibility left. Would not be surprised if he did but 2 scholly QB’s is very thin. Did Collins get a scholly for 2018?

Gunner

Anybody make a copy of Tech game, take a look and really give an honest evaluation of Robinson.

When you consider it was real windy and cold, first game, I think back to how Dalton struggled early. He, SR, hit a couple long balls, one dropped, and made some dandy short throws, about 3 out of the backfield which requires some touch and timing. Seemed to me he made some good decisions selecting open guys.

It really impressed me, and those challenging guys have a bunch of competition facing them. Shawn saw a lot of big games in hi school and that is why I think Tech never fazed him.

Add all this to his "run" ability which is immense, and I'm feeling good about September.

4th. down

Anybody make a copy of Tech game, take a look and really give an honest evaluation of Robinson.

When you consider it was real windy and cold, first game, I think back to how Dalton struggled early. He, SR, hit a couple long balls, one dropped, and made some dandy short throws, about 3 out of the backfield which requires some touch and timing. Seemed to me he made some good decisions selecting open guys.

It really impressed me, and those challenging guys have a bunch of competition facing them. Shawn saw a lot of big games in hi school and that is why I think Tech never fazed him.

Add all this to his "run" ability which is immense, and I'm feeling good about September.

Offensive line and corners are our major concerns. Don't believe QB will be a problem that keeps us from winning games if our offensive line develops. This is all good actually as we have some major offensive firepower and can sit JR for a year.

Ohio State may be our only loss because the offensive line won't be ready yet. They have a all american at defensive end, the other, a 5* and the defensive tackles one a freshman all american and the other a 4*. A lot of talent on the defensive front.

Limp Lizard

Robinson impressed my by trying to throw touch passes when needed. So often you see a young QB with a strong arm try to throw everything on a line. All three of these QBs can give us a deep ball threat we just did not have the last two years.

Eight

the article actually doesn't give you anything that wasn't already covered in the first couple of days of spring practice via the fwst and 247. in fact, gary's quote which is the second paragraph of the article was seen in several other places days back.

jr early on went through non-contact drills, but it was made known that once pads were put on he was not going to be going through drills, etc.. because he hadn't been cleared for that type of work.

east coast, when jeremy wrote a preview of the quarterbacks for 247 on the 20th he mentioned muehlstein.

hard to know for sure if you aren't at practice who is on the roster as the roster gofrogs.com is the roster from last sure. guess it will be updated by august.

netty2424

the article actually doesn't give you anything that wasn't already covered in the first couple of days of spring practice via the fwst and 247. in fact, gary's quote which is the second paragraph of the article was seen in several other places days back.

jr early on went through non-contact drills, but it was made known that once pads were put on he was not going to be going through drills, etc.. because he hadn't been cleared for that type of work.

east coast, when jeremy wrote a preview of the quarterbacks for 247 on the 20th he mentioned muehlstein.

hard to know for sure if you aren't at practice who is on the roster as the roster gofrogs.com is the roster from last sure. guess it will be updated by august.
Thanks. Haven't been keeping up with spring practices lately.

Eight

Thanks. Haven't been keeping up with spring practices lately.

not much information out on practice, some players had posted some tweets early on, but that seems to have stopped.

pay sites might have something and if you really want the deep numbers i heard cambridge analytica is doing a spring football report