• The KillerFrogs

TCU v. Syracuse Basketball NCAA Tourney Game Thread

P

purplePPO

Robinson is a great athlete. Except for the size and shooting ability he is a poor man’s Ginobili IMO. Very active, great penetrator, and keeps everybody involved.

The challenge for a coach is how to use him. Going into the tournament he was ranked 20th nationally in assists but 164th in assist / turnover ratio.

Fisher needs to be the point guard. However, Robinson needs to play but they need to find him some kind of hybrid role that plays to his strengths.

Will Fisher be a redshift sophomore next year due to his injuries the last two years? Please advise. Thanks.

LisaLT

You made me read through this entire pile of negativity, and still no pic.

sad-puppy-face-640x480.jpg
that is how I felt after watching the TCU basketball game!!! lol :(

TX_Krötenechse

Interesting perspective: I spoke to a Syracuse fan today at a party, and he thought that TCU had figured out their zone very well and was picking it apart in the second half but just couldn’t sink shots. This was surprising because I felt like we never really did a good job of breaking the zone.

There was also an OU fan there who thought he knew a lot more than he did. He said TCU is not a great shooting team but that our defense won us games. I don’t think he watched any of our games ...

Tom Brown

Interesting perspective: I spoke to a Syracuse fan today at a party, and he thought that TCU had figured out their zone very well and was picking it apart in the second half but just couldn’t sink shots. This was surprising because I felt like we never really did a good job of breaking the zone.

There was also an OU fan there who thought he knew a lot more than he did. He said TCU is not a great shooting team but that our defense won us games. I don’t think he watched any of our games ...

Ou fans suck

Froggy Style

Why are we replacing Robinson?
Because he owns the worst FT % in the last 30 years for a point guard. 57% is what they made jokes about Shaq for. It's a sign of laziness and weakness. I wasn't shocked to see him quoted before the game as just wanting to win a game in the tourney. Every other team is thinking "let's go win the whole thing."

A winner says I'm going to raise my FT shooting from 61% to 75% in the off season. AR get's worse.

I'm not too thrilled that Noi really tanked with his FT shooting in the last ten games either. 60% FT's? Dude hit 43% on his 3's. It's just ridiculous. There is a correlation that when you start missing FT's, your confidence goes for the rest of your game which we seemed to see with Noi. It seems we just don't have enough priority on this. Ironically, we were saying the exact same thing a year ago when we lost several games to miss the tourney last year for the same reason.

MTfrog5

I agree with the Syracuse fan. We were getting the ball in open spots on a lot of our possessions, but then it turns into a personnel problem. Arob turns the ball over way too much and can’t hit free throws. He’s ok in the middle of the zone, but ideally you’d like to have someone Bane’s size. They tried Miller there to get more size and seal some of the top defenders off. Our guys just didn’t trust what they were seeing and with their length you can’t hesitate on shots or passes.

Tom Brown

Because he owns the worst FT % in the last 30 years for a point guard. 57% is what they made jokes about Shaq for. It's a sign of laziness and weakness. I wasn't shocked to see him quoted before the game as just wanting to win a game in the tourney. Every other team is thinking "let's go win the whole thing."

A winner says I'm going to raise my FT shooting from 61% to 75% in the off season. AR get's worse.

I'm not too thrilled that Noi really tanked with his FT shooting in the last ten games either. 60% FT's? Dude hit 43% on his 3's. It's just ridiculous. There is a correlation that when you start missing FT's, your confidence goes for the rest of your game which we seemed to see with Noi. It seems we just don't have enough priority on this. Ironically, we were saying the exact same thing a year ago when we lost several games to miss the tourney last year for the same reason.

Doug Gottlieb had the worst ft% for pg's.

Below 50%

Tom Brown

I agree the ARob FT% should improve.

However the Arob turns it over too much argument is incorrect.

He is in the top of the league in assist/to ratio and minutes played.
Would provably be 1 or 2 in assists and minutes played since Jay Fish went out.

Edit: truthfully, every player in the country could say they aim to improve FT% and reduce TO's in the coming year.

cheese83

Good based on what?

Are you serious? He’s a good basketball player and always gives it his all. Not the most talented but makes the best of what he’s got. Imagine how our season would havw played out without him?

Also Fisher is a better shooter but he can make some really dumb mistakes. His shooting would have helped against Syracuse but as we just saw their zone is really tough. When they can beat Michigan St in Detroit we shouldn’t feel bad.

Saying Robinson isn’t a good player is just stupid. For TCU and where our program is he’s a solid player. We couldn’t even win conference games a few years ago and now we are acting like we trot out Derrick Rose level PGs. But you guys would probably think DRose was trash since he couldn’t shoot FTs.

Tom Brown

In a league of great guards, we had a 3 near the top.

But we had to play 3 naismith candidates and keenan evans. Pretty stiff competition.

SuperTFrog

In a league of great guards, we had a 3 near the top.

But we had to play 3 naismith candidates and keenan evans. Pretty stiff competition.
Alex Robinson is 6th in the big 12 in assist to TO ratio behind:

Devonte Graham
Jevon Carter
Another WVU guard
KSU guard - stokes
TCU - Kenrich Williams

Seems like he may not have the TO’s to fit the narrative so many have that he is a TO machine. He had 8 assists and 3 TO’s in the tourney. That ratio would essentially be a tie with Devonte Graham as the best in the conference. He is not the scapegoat that people so desperately want.

Wexahu

Our whole team struggled with free throws save for Vlad, singling our Robinson is kinda dumb. All in all, he’s a pretty solid player.

We lacked an inside defensive enforcer and a pure shooter/scorer from the wing, and the loss of Fisher was hard to overcome. Having that one guy that can break down his defender and get a good look one-on-one is critical, especially now with a 30-second clock. We didn’t really have that. Hopefully we keep getting a little better every year.

Dogfrog

I agree the ARob FT% should improve.

However the Arob turns it over too much argument is incorrect.

He is in the top of the league in assist/to ratio and minutes played.
Would provably be 1 or 2 in assists and minutes played since Jay Fish went out.

Edit: truthfully, every player in the country could say they aim to improve FT% and reduce TO's in the coming year.

Not sure about conference stats but NCAA national stats as of 3/17/18 have Arob ranked 18th in assists but only ranked 156 in assist / TO ratio. 190 assists/ 101 turnovers.

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Sebastian S

I had my mourning period up until Saturday night.

No social media and sports on TV.

I am over it, they had a great season and we have some stud recruits that will play next year.