• The KillerFrogs

Any Olympians you've ever really disliked?

Frog-in-law1995

I had this poster on my wall. (I was very young.)
W4V5trr.jpg

2ESvvtO.jpg

My son in front of the Men’s swimming results in the amphitheater at Munich olympic park.

Chongo94

Apparently that Shani Davis dbag skipped the opening ceremony because he didn't get to be the flag bearer. What a loser. Can't stand that he is on the American team. Will definitely be rooting against him, sorry.

220px-Shani_Davis_2010.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Apparently that Shani Davis dbag skipped the opening ceremony because he didn't get to be the flag bearer. What a loser. Can't stand that he is on the American team. Will definitely be rooting against him, sorry.

220px-Shani_Davis_2010.jpg

I really don’t understand his issue with what happened unless I am missing something. It makes so little sense that it makes me think that there must be more to the story that I’m not seeing.

Who does the initial vote? Isn’t it his fellow Olympians?

Chongo94

I really don’t understand his issue with what happened unless I am missing something. It makes so little sense that it makes me think that there must be more to the story that I’m not seeing.

Yes, a committee made up of I believe 8 fellow winter olympians from the various sports. In case of a tie vote, like they had, the rules state they use a coin.

He then said that was dishonorable.

Bob Sugar

Yes, a committee made up of I believe 8 fellow winter olympians from the various sports. In case of a tie vote, like they had, the rules state they use a coin.

He then said that was dishonorable.
I think we was more pissed that he only got 4 votes compared to another Olympian who has not performed as well as him in the past. His tweet complaining about the coin flip and dishonesty also included the hashtag #blackhistorymonth so I will leave it up to you to decide what part of the process he took issue with, but I have my suspicions.

Chongo94

I think we was more pissed that he only got 4 votes compared to another Olympian who has not performed as well as him in the past. His tweet complaining about the coin flip and dishonesty also included the hashtag #blackhistorymonth so I will leave it up to you to decide what part of the process he took issue with, but I have my suspicions.

Indeed. He seems to think he should be treated like Phelps. My understanding is past performance is not indicative of why someone should be the flag bearer, especially if being voted on by your peers. Also, definitely not the first time he has played that card. Just really seems like an obnoxious jerk to me who I can't really root for.

If this is any indication into his true attitude, no wonder the vote was a tie between him and a less heralded teammate.

Last edited:

Bob

How about favorites?

Mine start with the improbable gold winning men's hockey 1980 miracle on ice.

1035x699-20140205-1980hockey-x1800-1391625042.jpg

then there was the loveable losers 1988 Jamaican Bobsled team

a3-31jan-bobsled-b.jpg

and then, there's that Mexican basketball team

454480B24338474ABA74E9B273F01DF8.jpg

Eight

eric heiden laughs at shani's two golds and two silvers in two olympics.

LisaLT

How about favorites?

Mine start with the improbable gold winning men's hockey 1980 miracle on ice.

1035x699-20140205-1980hockey-x1800-1391625042.jpg

then there was the loveable losers 1988 Jamaican Bobsled team

a3-31jan-bobsled-b.jpg

and then, there's that Mexican basketball team

454480B24338474ABA74E9B273F01DF8.jpg
That Mexican basketball team photo makes me think of the Netflix show I just finished watching called "El Chapo." Is that wrong?

Bob

That Mexican basketball team photo makes me think of the Netflix show I just finished watching called "El Chapo." Is that wrong?
The caption on the image was "Our Team Our Pride". Mexicans take a lot of pride in their sports teams.

I saw the series "El Chapo" on the Telemundo station in New Mexico, it was a good view, but was a romantic view of a murderer, similar to similar shows in the USA depicting Billy the Kid, Butch and Sundance, etc. So, I agree with the comparison.

I just admired the Mexican team for taking on the world in a sport they are not known to compete in. There has been a lot of negative connotation, in a generic racist forum, about them recently which I think is uncalled for.