• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread - Part 2

Eight

It amazes me.

malcolm gladwell writes about the myth that the bigger "name" is better in choosing a college in his book david and goliath though i don't think that is the reading material for many of the people giving these kids advice.

listening to the radio yesterday and i heard about how texas puts kids in the pros and connor williams is projected possibly in the late 1st round. connor williams has had 3 different ol coaches and 2 s&c coaches so unless his development to pro prospect was a byproduct of just putting on the burnt orange it is [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] yet here are these idiots on the radio passing this off as truth.

Last edited:

OICU812

A morality tale in the local paper about a 3-star player with 8 D-I offers who decided to wait until yesterday for one of his dream schools (OU, OSU, Arkansas) to offer.

SOL all the way around.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_032cc18f-3d3b-5350-8d9d-32d6b83467f8.html

My niece is married to a kid who played tight end at Huntsville, and also was their long snapper. He went to a bunch of camps and was specifically aiming at the long snapping thing.
Aggy (his "dream school" apparently) kept promising him an offer "any minute now." He had a firm offer from SMU and kept them waiting while he waited for Aggy.
After NSD had passed he had bupkis. When he called SMU they had given his scholarship to another recruit who wanted to be there. Hellooooo, Sam Houston St. On the other hand, he got lots of PT as Long Snapper and as Tight End Caught Balls from that kid that OU had kicked out over his "Job."

netty2424

texas fans claiming that jackson never sent in his loi, that he is reconsidering because he now realizes atm lied to him about playing running back, and that he has been in contact with mensa

some people are also telling me scheissing mensa will be taking horns to the big 12 title game this year and nc in 2019 based upon this class so take the only thing i would take with any merit is that jackson's loi not got to bcs
With what QB?

CountryFrog

I don’t give one [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] about what Texas fans claim.
Amen to this. Most of them can't name a single player on the Texas team. "Uh, is Colt Macentire still playin QB or is it that Tim Young fellar? All I know is Mack will get em coached up whoever it is. Beat the Aggies, then take down Nebraska in the Big 12 title game! Hook em!"

Wexahu

Ehlinger had a pretty good true freshman season. If he progresses, he'll be a solid QB for them.

Ehlinger biggest problem is going to be staying healthy. Such a big part of his game is extending plays and being a tough guy to bring down, that kind of stuff tends to have a short shelf life especially for a kid that already has had some concussion issues. As far as just dropping back and getting the ball to recievers, I think Buechele is the better QB. Ehlinger had a ton of problems seeing things downfield last year.

CountryFrog

Ehlinger had a pretty good true freshman season. If he progresses, he'll be a solid QB for them.
Same song different year. Maybe Sam will be good, but just about every season since 2011 they've been pinning their hopes on a true freshman who's never played or a sophomore who showed a lot of promise his first year and just needs to keep progressing.

That school has been a revolving door of QB flops.

Eight

Ehlinger biggest problem is going to be staying healthy. Such a big part of his game is extending plays and being a tough guy to bring down, that kind of stuff tends to have a short shelf life especially for a kid that already has had some concussion issues. As far as just dropping back and getting the ball to recievers, I think Buechele is the better QB. Ehlinger had a ton of problems seeing things downfield last year.

sam got used and abused by todd dodge at westlake where he was the offense. kid took a beating in the state title game against gpns. trying to do the same thing in college as you point out wex and he doesnt do a great job of avoiding hits. already missed some time with concussions in only one season is not a good trend.

Eight

Amen to this. Most of them can't name a single player on the Texas team. "Uh, is Colt Macentire still playin QB or is it that Tim Young fellar? All I know is Mack will get em coached up whoever it is. Beat the Aggies, then take down Nebraska in the Big 12 title game! Hook em!"

my experience with most texas fans/alums i know is just the opposite. they can recite the freaking depth chart and rattle off the bio of each class of wonder recruits more than happy to tell you why they are so much better than the prospects your program just signed

most i know lack any perspective outside their program such as who their competition is regardless of what they think. here how ou, ohio state, usc, bama are there comp yet they are 1-5 against the frogs in big 12 play

they have no idea about the rosters of other teams and really don't care to listen. i keep hearing how all our offensive talent is gone and howard is the only guy who make tackles on defense for the frogs.

hear about facilities which in longhorn talk is code for stadium size and scheissing cyborg lockers. when i keep asking if they still use that giant parachute by the interstate to practice they say yes and don't have a clue tcu has had a permanent indoor structure for years.

Austintxfrog94

A morality tale in the local paper about a 3-star player with 8 D-I offers who decided to wait until yesterday for one of his dream schools (OU, OSU, Arkansas) to offer.

SOL all the way around.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_032cc18f-3d3b-5350-8d9d-32d6b83467f8.html
I don’t have a problem with what he did. If he didn’t want to go to those schools that offered and has the grades to qualify where he wants to go then see what might come up and then pursue the schools you want via walk-on (w/financial aid) or juco. No need to select a 4 year school you don’t want to be at and spend all that time and effort there. (IMO) Your undergraduate school is a decent part of what folks identify themselves with and theres no need settling on something you don’t entirely want because “at least it’s something.”

kidkarr

I don’t have a problem with what he did. If he didn’t want to go to those schools that offered and has the grades to qualify where he wants to go then see what might come up and then pursue the schools you want via walk-on (w/financial aid) or juco. No need to select a 4 year school you don’t want to be at and spend all that time and effort there. (IMO) Your undergraduate school is a decent part of what folks identify themselves with and theres no need settling on something you don’t entirely want because “at least it’s something.”
I agree, but he seems to be upset that his options passed him by. He doesn’t sound like he’s happy to go juco route is how I understand it.