• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Charges dropped against former QB Trevone Boykin

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Charges dropped against former QB Trevone Boykin

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Public intoxication charges against former TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin have been dismissed by Dallas County prosecutors, according to CBS DFW.

Boykin was arrested in March 2017 after a car he was a passenger in crashed in Uptown Dallas. He was arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana and public intoxication.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article198157079.html

lowfrog

Not surprising. Many of the lawyers who looked at this case said this would happen. Now that the PI charge has been dropped, the other charges will likely be dropped too. DPD arrested him on the PI, which gave them the right to search his bag in which they found the MJ and a weapon. So now the rest of the charges will probably be dropped since the DPD and the prosecutor have lost their "probable cause" to search his bag. He was a passenger in the car, so no charges there. Can only hope TB has learned his lesson -- be careful who you hang out with, drop the drugs (you don't need them), and if you have a weapon, make sure it's legal (you have a CCP for it).

PO Frog

Not surprising. Many of the lawyers who looked at this case said this would happen. Now that the PI charge has been dropped, the other charges will likely be dropped too. DPD arrested him on the PI, which gave them the right to search his bag in which they found the MJ and a weapon. So now the rest of the charges will probably be dropped since the DPD and the prosecutor have lost their "probable cause" to search his bag. He was a passenger in the car, so no charges there. Can only hope TB has learned his lesson -- be careful who you hang out with, drop the drugs (you don't need them), and if you have a weapon, make sure it's legal (you have a CCP for it).
Dropping those charges doesn't impact whether or not there was probable cause on the scene. There is a different standard for probable cause and guilt at trial, so you can have probable cause without being confident you would get a guilty verdict. Separate inquiries.

Shorty

Weapon?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Exactly. I went back and read a number of reports on this and not one mentioned a weapon being found.

We could continue to sensationalize this with some other stuff - like I heard the police searched his Gucci bag and found 100 tons of marijuana, 29 AR-15 rifles, an M1 Abrams tank modified for moon warfare, Siberian tiger eggs, and 987 illegal immigrants all wearing Batman costumes. The case is still pending.

lowfrog

An initial online article in the DMN that I read said the police found MJ and a weapon in a bag in the car. I've gone back to find that article on-line and it is gone. Either the initial report of a weapon turned out to be false and the DMN removed it or since Boykin was not charged with illegal possession of the weapon, the DMN (and others) dropped that and re-focused their reporting on the actual charges.

Spike

Exactly. I went back and read a number of reports on this and not one mentioned a weapon being found.

We could continue to sensationalize this with some other stuff - like I heard the police searched his Gucci bag and found 100 tons of marijuana, 29 AR-15 rifles, an M1 Abrams tank modified for moon warfare, Siberian tiger eggs, and 987 illegal immigrants all wearing Batman costumes. The case is still pending.

Must have been a big bag!