• The KillerFrogs

OT - I need black boots.

Paint It Purple

I wore boots instead of dress shoes for at least 30 years. As I aged, boots felt too hot in warm weather.

Leddy’s is great. I never thought I could afford Charlie Dunn’s. Well made custom boots are in a class of their own. FWIW, the stinkinest boots I ever owned were kangaroo. I recommend avoiding kangaroo.
I inherited my grand dad's roach killers. They were kangaroo, and too small for me, but had killer stitching on the uppers. Kangaroo are really soft, so I can see how they might be odoriferous.

FrogAbroad

At one time El Paso, San Antonio and Santa Fe (I think) were the only places you could walk in and buy Lucchesse.

There's a nice Lucchese store in El Paso, on Montana, not too far from the airport. After boot shopping cross the street for a Toro Burger.

Boot manufacturers use different lasts, so one brand will probably tend to be more comfortable than another brand for a given individual. I always gravitate to Tony Lama boots, myself. Other brands just aren't quite as comfortable to me. Try different brands as well as different styles and you'll probably find one boot maker is cosistently better for you.

Of course if you've got the wherewithall to have good custom-made boots that's another story.

Realtorfrog

I’m going to take heat for this but Boulet boots are the most comfortable off the shelf boots I have ever worn. Yes they are Canadian made but they fit so nice!! I can wear them all day with no problems at all!!!!!!!

Ron Swanson

I honestly don't intend to sound pretentious but any lucchese boot in the last 5-7 years offered for under $500 is Lucchese's entry into the mass produced inferior quality boot. They may be equal to a decent boot from several makers, but they do not equal the original Lucchese custom class of boot. In other words.....beware.
I got my main 2 pairs about 10 years ago and they are great.

I also got a pair of black TCU Lucchese boots maybe 4-5 years ago or so, and I noticed a dropoff in quality. I assumed that Lucchese just used some cheaper leather for their college series, but maybe their quality has lessened overall... not sure

OICU812

I inherited my grand dad's roach killers. They were kangaroo, and too small for me, but had killer stitching on the uppers. Kangaroo are really soft, so I can see how they might be odoriferous.

Pretty amazing coincidence. My grandfather gave me his Leddys 25 years ago before he died, My parents had them made for him as a gift at the San Angelo store in the 50s. Dark brown kangaroo roach stompers. Beautiful. I wore them some, but they were really too small, so I took them to the stockyards store and had them replicated in my size. Guy there who measured me said they hadn't seen that boot in 50 years, was pretty exciting. He also said kangaroo is the toughest leather there is. Never had a smell issue with either pair.

Paint It Purple

I’m going to take heat for this but Boulet boots are the most comfortable off the shelf boots I have ever worn. Yes they are Canadian made but they fit so nice!! I can wear them all day with no problems at all!!!!!!!
No,no. Boulet are terrific boots. Well made, solid materials and comfortable

Chongo94

Great info. Thanks. I'm not sure, but sadly, I think the San Angelo location no longer exists. It's a dying art I guess, and custom boots are beyond most folks budgets

Pretty sure the Angelo location still exists. I mean I drove past it at Christmas. Not sure if it was open but it was there at least.

You may be thinking of Rusty Franklin's. He was Leddy's grandson who started his own company down there. Did a ton of business but I'm pretty sure closed up shop sadly.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

I got great service from Art and Matt in the Vaqueros section at ML Leddys in the Fort Worth Stockyards. They measured both my feet and I was able to create the exact black boot I wanted and I put some TCU swag up on the pull straps. They look awesome and I've gotten a ton of compliments. Never buying another pair of black boots as a result.

netty2424

I’ve got a great pair of black leather boots, Laboutins, very sexy, if worn with the right outfit. You can find them at Neimans or Saks.
latest