• The KillerFrogs

Alamo Bowl

Pharm Frog

Is that due to the fact we won one less game/lost one more game, or is their some other reason for your comment?

Our ranking probably had a lot to do w/beating UW and ND at the end of the season. If I am looking at the schedules correctly, our best win was slightly better and our worst loss was slightly better.

We are ranked slightly higher in the CFPR and you guys are ranked slightly higher in the other two polls...there is not a lot to get excited about either way. Both of our squads lost the opportunity to win the conference. Heck, we beat WA and they are going to a NY6 bowl so I do believe I have at least a small clue as to your gripe.

Policy, L-D, Public, or Parliamentary?

Endless Purple

This is not accurate as the PAC has always played a round robin schedule; we play 9 conference opponents not eight!
Actually the post about the full round robin schedule is true which is why the Pac went to 12 teams. You still play 9 conference games so there is some effect from that, but with the ability to schedule only some cross division teams, a few will miss the harder teams and be able to have a few more teams with more wins. The Pac just does not benefit like the SEC and ACC do, who really game the system.

Wexahu

Actually the post about the full round robin schedule is true which is why the Pac went to 12 teams. You still play 9 conference games so there is some effect from that, but with the ability to schedule only some cross division teams, a few will miss the harder teams and be able to have a few more teams with more wins. The Pac just does not benefit like the SEC and ACC do, who really game the system.

Which is the primary reason why conference championships should be devalued IMO. In a lot of cases, especially because of HTH tiebreakers, they aren't determined by who the best team is, or even who had the best season. It's who picks the long straw come schedule-making time. It's even more pronounced in the SEC because they only play 8 games. A team like Tennessee, who plays Alabama every year, is at a huge disadvantage to any other any SEC East team through no fault of their own.

Stanfordebate

Well, the CA schools made a pact so we play them every year and never miss USC or UCLA. We also have a standing home and home w/ND so I don’t believe there to be issues w/Stanford’s SOS.

Your current commissioner used to be our AD btw; the PAC almost did not expand to 12 teams because we/wanted the full round robin but ultimately the Powers that be felt forced to do so because of the advent and popularity of the Conf Championship games other leagues adopted.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Thank you. I do understand and I agree the game should be very competitive and enjoyable for both sides.

Love the Horned Frog moniker...

So. What are the odds of a mascot one-on-one, mano y mano sideline battle between our bulked up & spikey SuperFrog vs. your somewhat deciduous Tree?

Betting line is sliding, please reply soon.

Planks

The Pac doesn’t benefit from the division format to the same extent that the BIG, SEC, and ACC do, but they still benefit. This year being a perfect example. Washington was able to avoid ever playing the best Pac team, USC, leading to a final record of 10-2. TCU on the other hand had to play the best Big 12 team, OU, twice leading to a record of 10-3. Washington gets the NY6 spot, TCU gets left out.

The good news for the Big 12 is that with the Sugar Bowl tie in 2 out of every 3 years, the conference #2 won’t be left out like they were this year assuming the conference #1 makes it into the playoffs. Any other year and TCU would be facing Auburn in the Sugar bowl.

Moral of the story is TCU needs to learn to do a better job of having our best seasons on years when the Sugar Bowl isn’t a playoff bowl.

Long Time Lurker

Didn’t go to the last Alamo Bowl, but I remember complaints about sight lines. Could some please advise what I need to look for when purchasing tickets for this one? Kind regards, Lurker

Kipster198

Didn’t go to the last Alamo Bowl, but I remember complaints about sight lines. Could some please advise what I need to look for when purchasing tickets for this one? Kind regards, Lurker

The biggest issues are from the 20s to the corners of the endzones. If you're between the 20s, the seats are fine. If you're in the endzone, you're fine.

The problem is that the seats are not built in a convex shape, so every seat has a 90 degree angle to the field. If you're in the corners, you'll find yourself sitting with your legs and hips facing straight ahead, and your torso & neck turning to see the field- really not fun when the action is on the other end of the field from you.

Long Time Lurker

The biggest issues are from the 20s to the corners of the endzones. If you're between the 20s, the seats are fine. If you're in the endzone, you're fine.

The problem is that the seats are not built in a convex shape, so every seat has a 90 degree angle to the field. If you're in the corners, you'll find yourself sitting with your legs and hips facing straight ahead, and your torso & neck turning to see the field- really not fun when the action is on the other end of the field from you.

Great thanks for that. I was thinking stay in front of the pillars or get in the end zones.

Dogfrog

Sorry if already covered but looks like ticket office hit my credit card for $125 per ticket + $30 sometime last couple days. Online order history just indicates lower level but no other specifics.

Long Time Lurker

Yeah 4 tickets ends up being $550 with fees. I want to purchase through Go Frogs for priority points purposes but my points are so low and I think it matters.

Dogfrog

Which is the primary reason why conference championships should be devalued IMO. In a lot of cases, especially because of HTH tiebreakers, they aren't determined by who the best team is, or even who had the best season. It's who picks the long straw come schedule-making time. It's even more pronounced in the SEC because they only play 8 games. A team like Tennessee, who plays Alabama every year, is at a huge disadvantage to any other any SEC East team through no fault of their own.

Ridiculous. Conference championships are much fairer criterion than your precious OOC schedule which is lottery-level unfair. Again, who pays you for this lobbying?

FBallFan123

Is that due to the fact we won one less game/lost one more game, or is their some other reason for your comment?

Our ranking probably had a lot to do w/beating UW and ND at the end of the season. If I am looking at the schedules correctly, our best win was slightly better and our worst loss was slightly better.

We are ranked slightly higher in the CFPR and you guys are ranked slightly higher in the other two polls...there is not a lot to get excited about either way. Both of our squads lost the opportunity to win the conference. Heck, we beat WA and they are going to a NY6 bowl so I do believe I have at least a small clue as to your gripe.

I'm not gonna get too upset with the rankings of Stanford and TCU, although I personally think TCU should be higher than Stanford, but I recognize it doesn't really matter.

There are arguments on both sides about win/loss totals, margins of losses, higher rated wins, results against bowl teams, results on the road, etc.

Stanford finished 9-4, 7-2 in conference, beat 6 bowl teams, had two highly rated wins (#11 Washington, #14 Notre Dame), and had no bad losses ("worst" loss came to a 10-2 San Diego State team).

On the other hand, Stanford two biggest wins came at home late in the season...and Notre Dame's travel schedule the last 3 weeks went from Miami (where they lost 41-8) to Indiana to Stanford (where they lost by 18).

Stanford lost four games away from the farm (at USC, at San Diego State, at Washington State, and what can be considered basically a clost-to-home neutral game at Levi's to USC).

Three of Stanford's losses came by 3 points. The only loss that wasn't close was the first USC game.

Stanford's road wins came at Rice (1-11), Utah (6-6) and Oregon State (1-11).

TCU finished 10-3, 7-2 in conference, beat 5 bowl teams, their highest rated win was #19 Oklahoma State....which came on the road, and was one of 4 road wins TCU had...at Arkansas (4-8), Oklahoma State (9-3), Kansas State (7-5), Texas Tech (6-6).

TCU had two blowout losses (by 18 and 24 points) to the #2 ranked team and Playoff contender Oklahoma (on the road, and a close-to-home neutral site game to Oklahoma). The third loss came on the road to 7-5 Iowa State team that also beat Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Realtorfrog

Last year USC filled half of Jerry World to see a team that lost 5 games the year before get absolutely curb stomped by Alabama. That's about 45,000 tickets. Contrast that with how many purple people were there yesterday. Maybe 25%. That's 16,000 for a game not 30 minutes away. Not terribly good.

See if they learned...... will get curb stomped by osu this year.

So. What are the odds of a mascot one-on-one, mano y mano sideline battle between our bulked up & spikey SuperFrog vs. your somewhat deciduous Tree?

Betting line is sliding, please reply soon.

Point of fact Stanford does not have a Mascot the tree is part of the band. The Stanford Cardinal is not a bird either it is the color red they wear. The tree symbol is on the town logo where the school is located and it represents a California Redwood Tree. Not sure if that is called a Seqoua or not. Can't spell it either.