• The KillerFrogs

SF Gate: Stanford to play TCU in Alamo Bowl Dec. 28

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Stanford to play TCU in Alamo Bowl Dec. 28

By Tom FitzGerald

Although it would rather be going to the Fiesta Bowl and avoid having to spend Christmas in Texas, Stanford received a fine consolation prize Sunday: a berth in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio on Dec. 28.

For Stanford’s opponent, TCU, the in-state game is less of a treat. The Horned Frogs and their fans thought they deserved a more prestigious New Year’s Six bowl berth.

Instead, the No. 13 Frogs (10-3) will play the No. 15 Cardinal (9-4), who lost to USC in the Pac-12 title game Friday night, at the Alamodome.

Read more at http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Stanford-to-play-TCU-in-Alamo-Bowl-Dec-28-12402205.php

Stanfordebate

Oh horrors, spending Christmas in, ugh, Texas. Typical Californian look down their noses at backwards Texas.

Come on now, you can’t complain about being viewed stereotypically and the. Use a stereotype in your complaint unless you wish to be disingenuous. Just like you, our fan base is disappointed about not playing in a Holiday 6 Bowl. We also just played in TX last year in another bowl. The claim of disappointment has absolutely nothing to do w/disparaging the people of the great State or TX.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Come on now, you can’t complain about being viewed stereotypically and the. Use a stereotype in your complaint unless you wish to be disingenuous. Just like you, our fan base is disappointed about not playing in a Holiday 6 Bowl. We also just played in TX last year in another bowl. The claim of disappointment has absolutely nothing to do w/disparaging the people of the great State or TX.

After living in California for 12 years I hardly think the way people in California think of other places, especially the south is not stereotypical for no reason. The comment was not about the fine institute founded by Leland Stanford, but more towards the writer.

Stanfordebate

After living in California for 12 years I hardly think the way people in California think of other places, especially the south is not stereotypical for no reason. The comment was not about the fine institute founded by Leland Stanford, but more towards the writer.

Gotcha...sorry for the typos...I don’t proof or edit message board errors

Deep Purple

Speaking as one who has relatives in California and has traveled there perhaps 20-25 times since I was about 5 years old (the latest trip being 2015), I can definitely attest that most older Californians definitely look down on Texas.

However, younger Californians (say, under the age of 40) did not inherent that attitude. They're moving to Texas in droves, partly for college, and partly for better career opportunities and the much more affordable cost of living.

California is a very beautiful state. The only major problem with it is that it's so overcrowded with Californians.

Stanfordebate

I don't think all Californians look down upon Texas. I just think most people in California are nuts. The sane ones send their kids to TCU.

Texas has their fair share of first class nut jobs as every state has; the more populous the state, the more crazies to criticize...this transcends politics, religion and cultural idiosyncrasies.

Any thoughts on the game by anyone or is it too early yet and this is simply the fore play stage?

Endless Purple

Oh horrors, spending Christmas in, ugh, Texas. Typical Californian look down their noses at backwards Texas.
This was my initial thought as well. Then I looked at the calendar. It might be a literal response - with the Alamo they will have to leave before Christmas for all the bowl activities and be away from their families for Christmas. While with the Fiesta, they would be home for Christmas and not leave until after for Arizona. Might be a date thing more than a place thing.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
This was my initial thought as well. Then I looked at the calendar. It might be a literal response - with the Alamo they will have to leave before Christmas for all the bowl activities and be away from their families for Christmas. While with the Fiesta, they would be home for Christmas and not leave until after for Arizona. Might be a date thing more than a place thing.

I agree with this. Even though it is in the week between Christmas and New Years, a Wednesday night game is not ideal.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
necromancer-history-720x720.jpg

Necromancy!!

Frog DJ

Mrs. DJ and I lived in Marin County and I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge everyday at 4am to host a morning radio show on a station located in the Mark Hopkins Hotel in the 70s.

We loved the French Onion Soup at La Central, picnicking in Golden Gate Park and sharing wine and cheese on the beach. San Francisco was a young couple’s dream-come-true.

Obviously, things have drastically changed since we used to stroll hand-in-hand through the streets of the Financial District as evening fell.

This makes me very sad...

Go Frogs!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
San Francisco is the conservative suburb of Berkeley. I was out there when they tried to pass an ordinance in Berkeley to keep panhandlers 100 ft from ATMs. It failed to go to a vote because they felt bums had a constitutional right to beg as the person stood at an ATM...

ShreveFrog

What big city or urban center is actually liveable anymore? I'm talking from a total standpoint of quality of life -- employment, safety, education, health care, recreation, cleanliness, etc.,

It's been nearly 20 years, but Boise (albeit a medium size city) was very nice in all those areas.

We just got the heck out of Shreveport and fled across the river. The present and future not so bright in Shreves. I suspect it's the same in many cities.

Suburban life looks better now than ever.