• The KillerFrogs

Aardvark is closing

D_Frog

A bar scene from Born on the 4th was filmed at the HOP.

I think the Plaid Pig was located in part of the strip they demolished. I think it was about where the walk way between the bookstore and Mcalisters is now.

tcumaniac

So this location will become a faith-based venue with food and no alcohol? Will be interesting to see if this plan remains viable.
Christ Chapel’s college ministry has been meeting here every Sunday morning since before even I was a Freshman.

I heard Christ chapel made the owner an offer he couldn’t turn down.

YA

When did Hi Hat become the cellar? I basically said both half the time I went there. Hell, I still miss Fat Harry's.
The Hi Hat was for sale in 1994-1995 timeframe for $25k--the bar location was not owned and was a leased space. I and a friend came within a day of buying the bar before my dad convinced me that going to law school and owning a bar was not a combination that a young lad should take on. We backed out and was sold to the folks that made it what is was till it was closed.

One Frog Nation

Extra points if you know what "Hop" stood for.
House of Pizza
worked there
saw space opera many times there
Country Max
I'm in love that's no lie
you don't need to ask me why
cause I'm high high high

Vince ran the place. Toad was the owner. Don't ask the year cause it was a while back

Zen Moon

Man, if I had a time machine, and could go back in time 5 times, I would spend one trip going back to the HOP on a night when Pico de Gallo played. Some TCU profs (Franzwa & Galvin, to name a few) led an incredibly above average garage band that played a little of everything from Sugar Magnolia to Piss Ant. Most nights would result in gyrating with lady profs and dancing on tabletops, the latter of which once resulted in one being splintered by a lad called Big Jay. People would chant in unison one phrase that I'm pretty sure today would qualify as sacrilege, but it was pure, unadulterated, harmless bacchanalia back then.

I could write paragraphs about the character that was my Philosophy prof, Gregg Franzwa, but I can sum it up with this. When he passed in late 2016, the final line in his obituary read... "He passed surrounded by broken-hearted women begging him not to leave, just as he would have wanted."

Long live Pico, and long live memories of nights at the HOP...

FrankDMaynard

Loved catching Schwantz Lefantz at the HOP back in the day. I wonder whatever happened to the old portrait of Bob Dylan that hung in the booth?
I couldn't verify this personally, but I had a good friend that was in the HOP when Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell actually came in late one night after a concert in Dallas.