• The KillerFrogs

Is CFP really out of the question if we beat OU?

CountryFrog

Unless we win by a lot (15 pts+), I don’t see us even passing OU. Other than a “conference championship” that would have been earned under strange circumstances, there wouldn’t be much to justify it.

Let’s be honest, this game is being called a CCG, but it’s really just an extra game to keep up with the other leagues.
How is winning a conference championship game considered strange circumstances for a conference championship? All of the conferences have championship games now so this seems like the current standard way of determining a champion, whether we like it or not.

FrogLifeYo

If they have the right teams positioned correctly, what the heck is the problem then? What are we arguing about? Isn’t that exactly what the committee is supposed to be doing?
Good Question. ..why are you arguing with me?...I just think if all things were equal the committee would jump at a chance to have both Bama and OSU in the playoff. It just so happens they have positioned both to make that happen. A TCU upset coupled with an OSU win gets them what they want...It would have been more ballsy on their part to move OU to 2 and us to 8..Now we could win by 3 scores and still not really get considered..

Zubaz

Unless we win by a lot (15 pts+), I don’t see us even passing OU. Other than a “conference championship” that would have been earned under strange circumstances, there wouldn’t be much to justify it.

Let’s be honest, this game is being called a CCG, but it’s really just an extra game to keep up with the other leagues.
Uh, does that apply to Auburn vs Georgia too? Is USC already the PAC 12 champ and if Stanford beats them it won't really count? CCGs are a thing, the winner is the champ. Period.

netty2424

No offense, but that's so unbelievably dumb.

I imagine the committee would probably like their job to be as easy as possible, and that would be Clemson, OU, Wisconsin, and Auburn winning. But I can assure you they aren't "praying" for it or have any other motive than they'd like the result to be as uncontroversial as possible.
Here you go Wex. Straight from a guy who was paid by the machine to endorse and promote the college football "playoffs."

Now that he's not paid by espn, he can speak free and honest.

NavyFrog

The table is set for max eyeballs on E$PN

The winner of the ACC and SEC championship in and the losers are out

If there are no upsets then OU and Wisconsin are in too.

If tOSU wins and TCU loses:
SEC Champ, ACC Champ, OU and Alabama are in

if tOSU wins and TCU wins:
SEC Champ, ACC Champ, Alabama and tOSU are in

Wexahu

Uh, does that apply to Auburn vs Georgia too? Is USC already the PAC 12 champ and if Stanford beats them it won't really count? CCGs are a thing, the winner is the champ. Period.

It applies to all of them really. I've been pretty clear all along that since the advent of split divisions and unbalanced schedules, conference championships have lost their luster and should be discounted to a degree when determining national playoff teams. Limiting the 4-team field to conference champions would be a terrible idea because there isn't an equal playing field as to how they are decided. For instance, an SEC East team that draws, say, Alabama and Auburn as their crossover games is at a huge disadvantage to one that draws Ole Miss and Arkansas.

tcumaniac

The table is set for max eyeballs on E$PN

if tOSU wins and TCU wins:
SEC Champ, ACC Champ, Alabama and tOSU are in

Not that I have any faith in the corrupt CFP committee, but it would be REALLY hard to justify putting in tOSU and not TCU.

Bama has the worst strength of schedule of any P5 team ranked in the Top 25. No impressive signature win. No Conference Championship.

If tOSU gets in, TCU sure as hell should as well.

Wexahu

I'll ask again....if all the favorites win this weekend (OU, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State, and USC) who is making the playoffs?

Young and Horned

I am going to say this honestly, I think we have just as good a chance to miss NY6 bowl than make playoff, maybe better. If we get whooped again, they can very easily give our spot to Stanford who would have two wins over top 25 teams to our 1.

What do you think the Vegas line would be for OK St vs every other 3 loss team? Ok st by 17+? They would smoke Wash St, ND, Northwestern, Mich St, etc. not even a fair game. Top 10 Penn St struggled with Pitt, OK St scored 49 in the 1st half.

This whole deal is a media circus.

SIAP but IMHO, neutral site taken into account, I would handicap as follows (using latest power rankings):
-OkSt vs. Wash St (+2.5)
-OkSt vs. ND (+2.5)
-OkSt vs. NWSU (+3.5)
-OkSt vs. MSU (+4.5)

Past results are not indicative of future outcomes. Top 10 PSU struggled with Pitt, OkSt scored 49 in 1st half - to that I will point out Auburn lost ATS vs. Mercer, yet won ATS (and SU vs. Bama):
-Aub 24 - Mercer 10
-Bama 56 - Mercer ZERO
-Aub 24 - Bama 16

OkSt would NOT be a 17 point favorite against any of those teams, double digit favorites are not as common as you think. Take this season for example - OkSt closed as DDFav 5 times this year against P5 teams:
Pitt (5-7) -11 // TTU (6-6) -11 // BU (1-11) -26.5 // KSU (7-5) -19.5 // KU (1-11) -41

MN Frog

During the CFB Playoff show they outlined the resumes of Clemson, tOSU and Bama with the assumption Clemson loses in ACC champ game. They were debating who gets in the final two spots. The graphic was showing top 40 FPI wins.

Clemson would have 9, tOSU 4 and Bama 3. Conveniently they left TCU out who would have 5 with a win over OU. Additionally if you go to 44, Tech and WVU make it 7 in the top 44 for TCU.

I seem to recall that the committee put an emphasis on bowl eligible wins in one of Jeff Longs BS sessions. If that is still the case, TCU has a strong resume. Just frustrating ESPN chooses to ignore us when considering two loss teams.