• The KillerFrogs

Is CFP really out of the question if we beat OU?

nwlafrog

I really hate how the committee and the 4 team playoff has turned any given team’s season into a disappointment to some if their team doesn't make the playoff. Count me as one of the fans ecstatic to just be playing for a conference championship.

*not pointing fingers at anyone here, just saying that it seems like they have changed the landscape of the football season for the worse*

Bizarro Frog

We will be in if we beat OU. Don’t care how bad Joey Galloway wants Ohio St in. My guess they will be in also after beating the most overrated undefeated team since Florida St in 2014.

1 Clemson
2 Auburn
3 TCU
4 Ohio St

Wexahu

Don't think he's on the CFP Committee. Those clowns positioned TCU today at 11 to make sure there will be absolutely no chance for Frogs to even be in the discussion if they win Saturday.:mad:

We were #12 last week and jumped Notre Dame. Who else did you expect us to jump, we had probably the least impressive win of any team ranked ahead of us.

MAcFroggy

Don't think he's on the CFP Committee. Those clowns positioned TCU today at 11 to make sure there will be absolutely no chance for Frogs to even be in the discussion if they win Saturday.:mad:

We are at 11 but if we win along with Wisconsin, clemson, and auburn. That would put us at number 8 with nothing else happening. If Stanford beats usc then we are at 7. If we beat ou we will surely jump Penn State. We are at 6 right there with nothing that crazy happening.

It would come down to conference champion TCU, OU (who we just beat), and Alabama.

We would be conference champion and have a harder SOS than Alabama according to multiple metrics (including Sagarin).

It would definitely be closer than some people think. If we pull a 2014 Ohio State and beat OU by 30+ then we would have a really good case. That would be a much more impressive win than Alabama would have.

Not saying that we would for sure make it, but we would have a punchers chance.

Wexahu

Committee is actually praying for a Clemson, OSU and TCU win so they can drop the Sooners and set up a Clemson, Aub/Ga, Ohio St, Bama....

No offense, but that's so unbelievably dumb.

I imagine the committee would probably like their job to be as easy as possible, and that would be Clemson, OU, Wisconsin, and Auburn winning. But I can assure you they aren't "praying" for it or have any other motive than they'd like the result to be as uncontroversial as possible.

MinFrog

I still think that if we win, we are in.

Notre Dame isn’t going in and the pac-12 wont get one in. I think they take the other four conference champions.

Mean Purple

USC and Penn State have no business being ranked above TCU. Ohio State and TCU rank about the same when you look at it.

USC's big win is Stanford. They barely escaped Texas at home. We manhandled Texas.

Penn State's big win is a weak Michigan team.

Okie State should be ranked above more teams as well.

Anybody trying to defend the CFP is either a blue blood homer, or they simply have not compared the teams and the teams those teams play. Hell, Penn State has no claim to be ranked higher than Stanford.

That said, according to the CFP spokesdbag, They put a lot of weight on conf. champs. If we win, we beat a team that Ohio State has not. After playing them about the same in reg. season, but we played them in Norman.

Also, Bama's big win is an LSU squad that lost to Troy. They barely beat Miss. State. And Packer was right, quit talking about the eye test. The score did not show all that happened in the Iron Bowl. Auburn pounded on Bama and had them all outa sorts.

Nothing matters if we don't beat OU. But if someone can claim the luckeyes can get in with a 2 loss record, then they can not have any integrity to their argument if they claim TCU can't get in with two losses if TCU beats a great sooner team.

CountryFrog

Forget the playoff. Is there a small chance we get in? Sure. But it's useless to try and crawl into the committee's collective mind to determine what precise scenario would need to take place for that to happen.

I'm just upset that they have us behind those big 10 teams because of the effect it has on NY6 bowl placement and matchups. If we'd lost to Iowa St by 35 instead of 7 I'm quite sure we would be punished for it. OSU has suffered no punishment for their two blowout loss to Iowa. And Penn St is ranked 9 based on, I don't even know, last year I guess? I hope we get to play PSU in a bowl game.

Wexahu

I still think that if we win, we are in.

Notre Dame isn’t going in and the pac-12 wont get one in. I think they take the other four conference champions.

Unless we win by a lot (15 pts+), I don’t see us even passing OU. Other than a “conference championship” that would have been earned under strange circumstances, there wouldn’t be much to justify it.

Let’s be honest, this game is being called a CCG, but it’s really just an extra game to keep up with the other leagues.

TheFDN

I

I imagine the committee would probably like their job to be as easy as possible, and that would be Clemson, OU, Wisconsin, and Auburn winning. But I can assure you they aren't "praying" for it or have any other motive than they'd like the result to be as uncontroversial as possible.
If you think the committee would rather have Clemson, Wisconsin, OU and Auburn over Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and Bama then you are clueless regarding the CFP. But we already knew this.

texas_sicilian

USC and Penn State have no business being ranked above TCU. Ohio State and TCU rank about the same when you look at it.

USC's big win is Stanford. They barely escaped Texas at home. We manhandled Texas.

Anybody trying to defend the CFP is either a blue blood homer, or they simply have not compared the teams and the teams those teams play. Hell, Penn State has no claim to be ranked higher than Stanford.

That said, according to the CFP spokesdbag, They put a lot of weight on conf. champs. If we win, we beat a team that Ohio State has not. After playing them about the same in reg. season, but we played them in Norman.

Also, Bama's big win is an LSU squad that lost to Troy. They barely beat Miss. State. And Packer was right, quit talking about the eye test. The score did not show all that happened in the Iron Bowl. Auburn pounded on Bama and had them all outa sorts.

Nothing matters if we don't beat OU. But if someone can claim the luckeyes can get in with a 2 loss record, then they can not have any integrity to their argument if they claim TCU can't get in with two losses if TCU beats a great sooner team.

They’ll use the transitive argument. OSU lost to Iowa, who beat Iowa State, who beat TCU. Ergo, OSU had a better loss.

Bizarro Frog

Think about this scenario that has been discussed very little.

Georgia beats Auburn and takes Auburn and Bama out.

Ohio St beats the Badgers and Wisky is out.

Clemson beats MiamI.

TCU beats OU.

I like our chances.

Wexahu

I get that OSU played OU in Columbus, but the idea that we played OU about as tough as OSU did is just revisionist history. We were getting beat 38-14 at halftime and OU had about 400 yards of offense in the 1st half alone. The score after the 3rd quarter of the OSU-OU game was 17-13.

Saying that we played OU about the same as OSU did is quite a stretch. I know we played them in Norman and Ohio State played them in Columbus, but we were down 38-14 at half and I think OU had about 400 yards of offense by then. It was 17-13 after the 3rd quarter of the OU-OSU game. Exactly nobody who saw those games and isn't a TCU homer thought we played them about the same.

I'm not saying we wouldn't have a case vs Ohio State, their loss to Iowa was really bad, but at least be factual. And if the score in the Iron Bowl didn't show what happened in that game, then the score in our game with OU didn't show what happened in that game either. We could've lost by 40 had OU kept their foot on the gas.

Wexahu

Think about this scenario that has been discussed very little.

Georgia beats Auburn and takes Auburn and Bama out.

Ohio St beats the Badgers and Wisky is out.

Clemson beats MiamI.

TCU beats OU.

I like our chances.

That gives us the best chance (actually Wisconsin beating OSU would be better, wouldn't it?) but I'm not sure that knocks Alabama out.

FrogLifeYo

Praying might be extreme but certainly can't go wrong with any of their top 6 teams. The committee has repeatedly stated they want the best 4 teams in the playoff. Their rankings and how they've positioned Bama and Ohio St are telling you who they think those top 6 teams are. They know ACC (likely Miami) and SEC (Likely GA) are gone..Who does that leave as your real top 6? I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. I'm simply saying they have positioned the scenario who makes their jobs easiest. A win win for them. OSU is a 6 point favorite over Whisky..Do you know anyone who thinks Whisky wins that game? Whisky looses and OSU or Bama slides in and whatever happens in the OU/TCU game makes for easy selection for the committee. They either get OU or Bama/OSU we know they love all those schools. The idea that some have that chaos could break out or their jobs could be difficult is today' top 4 don't hold serve is ridiculous.

Wexahu

Praying might be extreme but certainly can't go wrong with any of their top 6 teams. The committee has repeatedly stated they want the best 4 teams in the playoff. Their rankings and how they've positioned Bama and Ohio St are telling you who they think those top 6 teams are. They know ACC (likely Miami) and SEC (Likely GA) are gone..Who does that leave as your real top 6? I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. I'm simply saying they have positioned the scenario who makes their jobs easiest. A win win for them. OSU is a 6 point favorite over Whisky..Do you know anyone who thinks Whisky wins that game? Whisky looses and OSU or Bama slides in and whatever happens in the OU/TCU game makes for easy selection for the committee. They either get OU or Bama/OSU we know they love all those schools. The idea that some have that chaos could break out or their jobs could be difficult is today' top 4 don't hold serve is ridiculous.

Ok, but if Miami has no chance of beating Clemson and Wisconsin has no chance of beating OSU, wouldn’t it be pretty logical that Clemson and Ohio State are really good and maybe Top 4 teams?

How can you say Ohio State isn’t that good and then act like Wisconsin has no chance of beating them? It’s like a complete opposite argument. I think Wisconsin has a good chance of beating them. They’re pretty good. If we were playing Wisconsin do you think it’d be automatic that we’d win like you apparently think it’s automatic that Ohio State wins? Because I sure don’t.

FrogLifeYo

Ok, but if Miami has no chance of beating Clemson and Wisconsin has no chance of beating OSU, wouldn’t it be pretty logical that Clemson and Ohio State are really good and maybe Top 4 teams?

How can you say Ohio State isn’t that good and then act like Wisconsin has no chance of beating them? It’s like a complete opposite argument. I think Wisconsin has a good chance of beating them. They’re pretty good. If we were playing Wisconsin do you think it’d be automatic that we’d win like you apparently think it’s automatic that Ohio State wins? Because I sure don’t.

Hold up. .. I never said Ohio St isn't
That good..nor have I ever said they don't have the right teams positioned correctly. Im simply saying this week' rankings are designed to help them head off any backlash in the final 4. They are setting up their choices..

AroundWorldFrog

I get that OSU played OU in Columbus, but the idea that we played OU about as tough as OSU did is just revisionist history. We were getting beat 38-14 at halftime and OU had about 400 yards of offense in the 1st half alone. The score after the 3rd quarter of the OSU-OU game was 17-13.

Saying that we played OU about the same as OSU did is quite a stretch. I know we played them in Norman and Ohio State played them in Columbus, but we were down 38-14 at half and I think OU had about 400 yards of offense by then. It was 17-13 after the 3rd quarter of the OU-OSU game. Exactly nobody who saw those games and isn't a TCU homer thought we played them about the same.

I'm not saying we wouldn't have a case vs Ohio State, their loss to Iowa was really bad, but at least be factual. And if the score in the Iron Bowl didn't show what happened in that game, then the score in our game with OU didn't show what happened in that game either. We could've lost by 40 had OU kept their foot on the gas.
LOL, That 30 point loss to Iowa was an embarrassment. No team should be in the playoffs with a 30 point loss to a very mediocre team. Period.

Wexahu

Hold up. .. I never said Ohio St isn't
That good..nor have I ever said they don't have the right teams positioned correctly. Im simply saying this week' rankings are designed to help them head off any backlash in the final 4. They are setting up their choices..

If they have the right teams positioned correctly, what the heck is the problem then? What are we arguing about? Isn’t that exactly what the committee is supposed to be doing?