• The KillerFrogs

Galloway and Herbstreit

Zubaz

I would expect these highly paid professionals to give accurate assessments. Saying the B12 doesn't play defense is not an accurate assessment in my opinion.
40% of the Big 12 is ranked 100+ in total defense. Another 3 are ranked 78th and above. That's 70% of the league in the bottom half of defenses. That is mostly due to the fact that some of the top offenses in the country also play in the Big 12, with 40% of the league being in the Top 10 for passing offenses.

Want to go more advanced? OK. Let's look at the FEI defensive rankings. That helps a little because it adjusts for the opponent, but you still 4 teams ranked 64th or worse (TCU leading the Big 12 at #13).

Yes, TCU plays good defense (and gets near unanimous respect because of it). As a league though? The wide-open pass-happy stereotype has pretty much held true. That's neither good nor bad, it just happens to be true more often than it's not.

Tom Brown

Todd and Wexahu are like a tag team in WCW. It’s hilarious how they both show up for any match that involves the CFP.

WWF Bushwhackers

Bushwhackers_NZEDGE01.jpg

40% of the Big 12 is ranked 100+ in total defense. Another 3 are ranked 78th and above. That's 70% of the league in the bottom half of defenses. That is mostly due to the fact that some of the top offenses in the country also play in the Big 12, with 40% of the league being in the Top 10 for passing offenses.

Want to go more advanced? OK. Let's look at the FEI defensive rankings. That helps a little because it adjusts for the opponent, but you still 4 teams ranked 64th or worse (TCU leading the Big 12 at #13).

Yes, TCU plays good defense (and gets near unanimous respect because of it). As a league though? The wide-open pass-happy stereotype has pretty much held true. That's neither good nor bad, it just happens to be true more often than it's not.
OU plays no defense, but held tOSU to their lowest total of the year -- by 8 points. Why isn't anyone talking about the B10 not playing defense. tOSU has scored 49+ in half their games, but only scored 16 against OU? They are

Same with Arkansas...their lowest point total of the year was against us. They are losing most of their games, but scoring points.

You just said it...it's not that we don't play defense, it's that the offenses are built to score points. You need to look at history to understand why...Stoops and Mack Brown switched to high powered offenses because they knew that they had to keep up with Leach and Gundy. Those two guys were equipped to ruin their season every year if they got into a shootout.

And no, TCU doesnt get near unanimous respect for defense. There's been evidence of that posted right here in this thread. You accuse us of having blinders on, but you could do yourself a favor by opening your eyes a little and paying attention to what is being said. I could post numerous examples of TV personalities saying things that support my conclusion, but I doubt you would believe it.

Ron Swanson

I’m not one of those who thinks there’s some huge agenda against TCU or the Big 12 in general, but I watched the same show as the OP and it was extremely frustrating to sit there and watch them lambast the entire Big 12’s defenses without at least throwing in a TCU exception.

ESPECIALLY WHEN TCU HAS HELD 6 OF THEIR 9 OPPONENTS TO 7 POINTS OR LESS.

I mean, Christ, that’s incredible

EDIT: 5 of 9... I’m a stupid person

Last edited:
The Frogs had a golden opportunity to witness one of those infamous Ole Miss 'Land Shark' defenses

in the 2014 Peach Bowl. A humiliating embarrassment for the SEC.

The Colonel

I’m not one of those who thinks there’s some huge agenda against TCU or the Big 12 in general, but I watched the same show as the OP and it was extremely frustrating to sit there and watch them lambast the entire Big 12’s defenses without at least throwing in a TCU exception.

ESPECIALLY WHEN TCU HAS HELD 6 OF THEIR 9 OPPONENTS TO 7 POINTS OR LESS.

I mean, Christ, that’s incredible

Just stole your Mark Cohen-like stat and tweeted Herbie derp...

FrogLifeYo

Actually 5 of 9. Still pretty damn good though.
This what gives me hope for a Sat night win..At the end of the day, looking purely at strength on strength, OU hasn't seen anything near as good a defense as ours and that includes Ohio St. While some My disagree, I think we've seen offenses as good as theirs in Ok St and WVU..I think we have an edge because of that.