• The KillerFrogs

Dan Patrick

K

kdaltcu

”Iowa St did college football a favor by beating TCU.”

Really dude? Good take. Idiot.

CountryFrog

One of the few things Baylor psycho fan correctly states is that the media, in general, has no interest in seeing a small private school succeed in big time college football.

Obviously, when you take it 666 steps further and accuse the media of creating a rape scandal for the purpose of getting your God fearing, salt of the earth, Christian football coach fired in order to destroy your entire program then you've not only entered crazy town, but you now own every building in it and are constantly expanding the city limits as more of your insane friends move in with you.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
One of the few things Baylor psycho fan correctly states is that the media, in general, has no interest in seeing a small private school succeed in big time college football.

Obviously, when you take it 666 steps further and accuse the media of creating a rape scandal for the purpose of getting your God fearing, salt of the earth, Christian football coach fired in order to destroy your entire program then you've not only entered crazy town, but you now own every building in it and are constantly expanding the city limits as more of your insane friends move in with you.
I kind of get this but no one cares if Miami is good. It's a small private school. Or are there exceptions? Have to win one and hopefully this notion will go away.

CountryFrog

I kind of get this but no one cares if Miami is good. It's a small private school. Or are there exceptions? Have to win one and hopefully this notion will go away.
I know Miami is a private school but I don't think they're small. Maybe they are.

Either way, they are not looked at nationally as small because they had about a 20 year run of multiple national championships, being an NFL factory, and having some of the best teams ever assembled in college football history. Unfortunately for TCU, (and every other small private school), they don't have that type of relatively recent history to fall back on.

eh0215

Obviously we dont like it as TCU fans, but he isn't wrong. The number of teams in play for the playoff has jumped a whole bunch. The Pac-12 is alive again, etc.

notyalc

I know Miami is a private school but I don't think they're small. Maybe they are.

Either way, they are not looked at nationally as small because they had about a 20 year run of multiple national championships, being an NFL factory, and having some of the best teams ever assembled in college football history. Unfortunately for TCU, (and every other small private school), they don't have that type of relatively recent history to fall back on.

Miami isn't big but certainly bigger than we are. The only other top 25 program I know thats our size is Notre Dame. And they're Notre Dame...

Per Wikipedia:

Miami
Undergrad - 10768
Grad - 5725

Notre Dame
Undergrad - 8448
Grad - 3731

TCU
Undergrad - 8892
Grad - 1502

Wexahu

Miami isn't big but certainly bigger than we are. The only other top 25 program I know thats our size is Notre Dame. And they're Notre Dame...

Per Wikipedia:

Miami
Undergrad - 10768
Grad - 5725

Notre Dame
Undergrad - 8448
Grad - 3731

TCU
Undergrad - 8892
Grad - 1502

Stanford has less than 8,000 undergrads. Large graduate school but I don't look at that the same.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Stanford has less than 8,000 undergrads. Large graduate school but I don't look at that the same.
Good point. I guess my point is I don't think it is necessarily a small private school issue. I believe it's a perception issue. We are new, in most fans eyes, to big time football. They think of us as Boise. We need to keep winning. Win a national championship and a lot of the perception goes away. But not all of it.

By the way, most cfb fans are ignorant dumbasses. They have no idea of history. They just listen to what the Tv tells them to think. It's a tough hill to climb.

Wexahu

Good point. I guess my point is I don't think it is necessarily a small private school issue. I believe it's a perception issue. We are new, in most fans eyes, to big time football. They think of us as Boise. We need to keep winning. Win a national championship and a lot of the perception goes away. But not all of it.

By the way, most cfb fans are ignorant dumbasses. They have no idea of history. They just listen to what the Tv tells them to think. It's a tough hill to climb.

I think that effect is much more prevalent in the AP and Coaches poll (which I hardly even pay attention to since most coaches half ass it anyway) than the CFP poll. The committee has been pretty good about ignoring that and just going by results. Even saying that, we've gotten quite a bit of respect by the pollsters, nothing to really complain about there.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on here already, but how about ISU moving from #25 to #14 after beating us by 7 at home (and looking pretty average in the process IMO)? Obviously some voters think we're pretty good.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I think that effect is much more prevalent in the AP and Coaches poll (which I hardly even pay attention to since most coaches half ass it anyway) than the CFP poll. The committee has been pretty good about ignoring that and just going by results. Even saying that, we've gotten quite a bit of respect by the pollsters, nothing to really complain about there.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on here already, but how about ISU moving from #25 to #14 after beating us by 7 at home (and looking pretty average in the process IMO)? Obviously some voters think we're pretty good.
I want talking about playoff committee really. More a casual fan and disinterested media point of view. I think it says a lot we just lost a game and are still top ten.

Last edited:

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
What I don't get is the fact that many of these old writers are still stuck in the 80's as far as perception is concerned. Look no further than A&M as a great example. How many sports writers today would still consider A&M one of the big boys in college football? More than most. But it's been nearly 20 years since they even won a conference championship, they haven't won a national title since the 1930's and only have two Heisman winners overall. Now the same sports writers will all claim TCU is in the "new money" category of football, ignoring the early days where TCU contributed a lot to the sport up until the 70's - 90's. Sure, three decades of mediocrity will kill the perception of a program, but what exactly has many of these so-called blue-chip programs done lately other than be ranked high early, and failed to deliver? Some of these programs haven't had the same level of success TCU has in the last 17 years, yet we're constantly judged by the teams we had during those 3 decades.

It's a perception problem, and I fail to see how any of this will change until the current crop of sports writers die off or Patterson wins multiple National Titles.