• The KillerFrogs

In-house Landman

Rifframbahzoo20

Questions for O&G frogs and others in the knows:

Thanks in advance!

What would be the chances of working for 5 years or so as a field landman in Midland - WV - Pennsylvania - or wherever else I could manage a job and then switching to in-house? Would I have to possibly take a step-down job as an analyst in-house and then find a job as an in-house landman after?

Or would I be better off just starting as an analyst, land admin, or land tech and then finding a job in-house?

I know field landman pays more than being an analyst would usually so I would prefer that route but do you think it will be hard to eventually land in-house?

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
If you want to end up in-house, I would recommend starting there. From what I have seen, it is difficult to make that transition, based on perception. Many companies want that in-house experience and do not translate the field experience to what they do, even though the field guy has a better skill set than other applicants.

lonestarfrog89

I think its going to be especially difficult right now. I worked in the field for about 2 years before starting to look in-house. I got lucky and landed an in-house landman job (been here 5 years now), but it was literally the only offer I got after sending tons and tons of resumes to companies here in Houston.

My suggestion, if you go the land analyst route, is express your desire to move up to a landman position. You will want to know they're going to let you have some upward growth... If you have been in the field 5 years, you're going to know more than a lot of the lease analysts and division order analysts. This will probably be the best option via a larger company like Hilcorp, Marathon, EOG types..

Where are you trying to settle down?

Rifframbahzoo20

I would prefer to live in San Antonio, TX, but wouldn't mind Austin, Dallas, Houston. Before I have kids that are in school I would live anywhere, but when I have 5-7 years of experience I will do what I can to find a position in San Antonio.

lonestarfrog89

I would prefer to live in San Antonio, TX, but wouldn't mind Austin, Dallas, Houston. Before I have kids that are in school I would live anywhere, but when I have 5-7 years of experience I will do what I can to find a position in San Antonio.

I would see if you have any TCU connections at EOG since they're out of SA. Their land admin group is based out of Houston but all of their landmen are in SA. I think they closed their Corpus office, if I remember correctly. EOG could be solid, especially if they have some entry level analyst type position that would allow for upward trajectory.

Raw Frog

If you want to end up in-house, I would recommend starting there. From what I have seen, it is difficult to make that transition, based on perception. Many companies want that in-house experience and do not translate the field experience to what they do, even though the field guy has a better skill set than other applicants.

I was an in-house landman with Texas Oil & Gas in Midland before I went to law school, and I agree with Land Frog...

lonestarfrog89

I totally misread the OP's first post. I thought he had 5 years already. Now I see it is a hypothetical.. If that's the case, while I agree its going to be easier to go straight in house right out of college, I think you can learn a lot of invaluable land knowledge running title for a few years. You can always tell when you deal with landmen who have actually worked in the field vs. the guys who went straight in house.

Rifframbahzoo20

Another idea is to get my PLM degree after working as a field landman. I've heard it only takes one year at Western Colorado.

BTW - don't go to TCU, at least not yet. May transfer there but who knows. I just grew up as a fan.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Another idea is to get my PLM degree after working as a field landman. I've heard it only takes one year at Western Colorado.

BTW - don't go to TCU, at least not yet. May transfer there but who knows. I just grew up as a fan.
Feel free to send me a PM. If you know that's the field (industry) and area (land) you want to work, getting a PLM degree is a good option if you are willing to do that. A good internship should get you started on a great path.

Ray Finkle

A lot worse places to spend a year than Gunnison. Plus, you get in-state applications for deer, elk, sheep, goat, pronghorn, and moose. If you have some preference points, you are in the catbird seat. Oh, and the Taylor Catch & Release has 20"+ fish that are catchable, if you can crack the code.

There are also options like skiing Crested Butte and hippy chicks but I prefer the hunting and fishing side of life.

Rifframbahzoo20

Feel free to send me a PM. If you know that's the field (industry) and area (land) you want to work, getting a PLM degree is a good option if you are willing to do that. A good internship should get you started on a great path.
I will definitely be pming you at some point! Appreciate all your help

Westsider

Field experience is overrated IMO. You can shadow a friend for a few weeks or months and pick up all you need to know to supervise lease acquisitions and due diligence efforts when you go in-house, and most likely, field supervision will be only a small part of what you'll actually be doing. Know what the field guys do, but spend your time and get experience in-house as quickly as you can. A guy with 5 years experience with a major or mid major is much more marketable than a 5 year record checker.

lonestarfrog89

Field experience is overrated IMO. You can shadow a friend for a few weeks or months and pick up all you need to know to supervise lease acquisitions and due diligence efforts when you go in-house, and most likely, field supervision will be only a small part of what you'll actually be doing. Know what the field guys do, but spend your time and get experience in-house as quickly as you can. A guy with 5 years experience with a major or mid major is much more marketable than a 5 year record checker.

I respectfully disagree. There's tons to learn in the field that is necessary in house. I deal with entry level landmen at majors all the time (Conoco especially) who went to Tech, spent 6 months in the field and think they know everything about title research and the ins and outs of everything you have to do. But, that's not to say you (and others) haven't had different experiences.

bumblebeetuna

Go get a PLM (OU or Tech), make top tier grades, and start as an intern. The second bachelor degree will probably take you 2 years and you can do 2 internships. Most people would rather hire an older more mature person right out of school.

Westsider

I respectfully disagree. There's tons to learn in the field that is necessary in house. I deal with entry level landmen at majors all the time (Conoco especially) who went to Tech, spent 6 months in the field and think they know everything about title research and the ins and outs of everything you have to do. But, that's not to say you (and others) haven't had different experiences.

No problem. My experience was how I described it above, but the difference being, unlike the Tech and Conoco idiots, I never thought I knew more than the 20 year experienced field landmen we were paying the big bucks ($100/day) to. But I did know enough to administrate in-house the information they gave me. In short, I have the utmost respect for the field guys. Love em. Used many. But for the OP who wants to go in-house, I just hate to see him spend time in the field that could be spent in house.

P.S.: Throw Chesapeake and some of the older Oxy guys in with Conoco.

The Degenerate Frog

For those of us not in the "know," what does in house mean? I ask as a guy exiting the military in 4.5 years preferring not to live and beg on the corner of Berry St.

Rifframbahzoo20

No problem. My experience was how I described it above, but the difference being, unlike the Tech and Conoco idiots, I never thought I knew more than the 20 year experienced field landmen we were paying the big bucks ($100/day) to. But I did know enough to administrate in-house the information they gave me. In short, I have the utmost respect for the field guys. Love em. Used many. But for the OP who wants to go in-house, I just hate to see him spend time in the field that could be spent in house.

P.S.: Throw Chesapeake and some of the older Oxy guys in with Conoco.
How long will it take working as an analyst to move up to an in house landman? Does it pay much less than a field landman?