• The KillerFrogs

Off week Press Conference

4th. down

We have Big 12 depth now just hope we don't have to keep using it. Even if a team goes undefeated they are still playing the Big 12 championship for the 13'th data point and to play on championship weekend like all the other conferences. The one benefit of not having two divisions is our one versus two championship match-up will be two highly ranked teams more than other conferences anyway. Bad news is runner up could easily beat the number one team and screw the Big 12 out of CFP. We really should add two teams and go to divisions.

It's stupid to have a championship game with only 1 division. This is the exact excuse the CFPC will use when the runner up beats the conference champion and now both have at least 1 loss apiece so no final 4. We're out again and Bowlsby just got a renewed contract to 2025.

West Coast Johnny

Ty has struggled at DE. Remember in camp when GP said he was all over the QB during practice..well that hasn't been the case in games thus far. Outside of Howard, our LB play has been a little uneven. I think as we get into some ground attack teams he has more value in the middle. I'd like his strength at LB against a team like K-State and OU who are going to come down hill at us for 4Qts.
Ty is doing what Patterson has asked him to do. He's at the d-end position but half the time he's standing up at the line and covering the running back in the flat. He's definitely a LB / DE hybrid.

PO Frog

Surprisingly we are giving up a yard more per play this year than last year, barely inside the top 100. Seems like we are playing better but I think it really shows how important it is to have an effective offense. Okie Light scored 31 on us last year and this year and those two games couldn't have been more different as to who was the dominant aggressor.

It's fun to lead the nation in 3rd down conversions. Led the country most of the year in 2014 too. Sure makes the defense seem better too.

LovesFrogsNDogs

Surprisingly we are giving up a yard more per play this year than last year, barely inside the top 100. Seems like we are playing better but I think it really shows how important it is to have an effective offense. Okie Light scored 31 on us last year and this year and those two games couldn't have been more different as to who was the dominant aggressor.

It's fun to lead the nation in 3rd down conversions. Led the country most of the year in 2014 too. Sure makes the defense seem better too.
These are all good points. Our turnover margin last year was -4 on the year. We are at +2 right now.

Wexahu

It's stupid to have a championship game with only 1 division. This is the exact excuse the CFPC will use when the runner up beats the conference champion and now both have at least 1 loss apiece so no final 4. We're out again and Bowlsby just got a renewed contract to 2025.

Why don't we let that scenario play out first? A likelihood of a 1-loss winner of the Big 12 Championship game getting left out of the CFP is miniscule as best.

4th. down

Why don't we let that scenario play out first? A likelihood of a 1-loss winner of the Big 12 Championship game getting left out of the CFP is miniscule as best.

Still don't agree, 1 loss is not as good as 0 losses from another Power 5 conf. And, if it were to come down to us having 1 loss and Ohio State having 1 loss, who do you think get's in? If we go undefeated in conf, play and then lose the championship game, why put yourself at an unnecessary risk situation when you don't have to?

Wexahu

Still don't agree, 1 loss is not as good as 0 losses from another Power 5 conf. And, if it were to come down to us having 1 loss and Ohio State having 1 loss, who do you think get's in? If we go undefeated in conf, play and then lose the championship game, why put yourself at an unnecessary risk situation when you don't have to?

Of course 0 losses is better than 1 loss. But how many times have we had more than two teams with 0 losses? Ohio State with 1-loss is not getting in ahead of a 1-loss Big 12 champion this year. It's not going to happen. Oklahoma's thrashing in Columbus took care of that. The Big 12 champion will either be OU, or a team that has beaten OU at least once. That'll get them the nod over OSU.

My guess is they'd both get in but OSU isn't getting in at the expense of a Big 12 team if they both have one loss. I'll bet you anything you want on that.

4th. down

Of course 0 losses is better than 1 loss. But how many times have we had more than two teams with 0 losses? Ohio State with 1-loss is not getting in ahead of a 1-loss Big 12 champion this year. It's not going to happen. Oklahoma's thrashing in Columbus took care of that. The Big 12 champion will either be OU, or a team that has beaten OU at least once. That'll get them the nod over OSU.

My guess is they'd both get in but OSU isn't getting in at the expense of a Big 12 team if they both have one loss. I'll bet you anything you want on that.

Ok, you win. Let's substitute Ohio State for Penn State. I'm talking about TCU vs. a big brand name like what happened to us last time. I don't care what the record is, if it's even close the brand name goes in before TCU. It still comes down to money like it always does and what the sponsors want to show to draw more of the public viewing into it.

frog-hat

30 million reasons

Peacefrog

Degenerate
These are all good points. Our turnover margin last year was -4 on the year. We are at +2 right now.
For some reason I was surprised we are only +2 so I went back and looked. Which made me go look at prior years. 2014 was so amazing. We were +18 with 26(!!!) interceptions. We need that again.

Raw Frog

We should have a Championship Game if we need it, i.e. if there are teams that finish with losses. If somebody runs the table, there is no reason they should have to beat somebody again to say they won the league. Dumb.

HeidelFrog

I need to look at the current CFP selection committee roster. Not sure what the turnover ratio was from the past. We all know that they have no set gameplan or formula for selecting the top 4. It's just the good ol "eyeball test" aka who do I personally want in it this year...

Mean Purple

We have Big 12 depth now just hope we don't have to keep using it. Even if a team goes undefeated they are still playing the Big 12 championship for the 13'th data point and to play on championship weekend like all the other conferences. The one benefit of not having two divisions is our one versus two championship match-up will be two highly ranked teams more than other conferences anyway. Bad news is runner up could easily beat the number one team and screw the Big 12 out of CFP. We really should add two teams and go to divisions.
agree about adding teams and divisions. a team goes undefeated now...and the next team is 10-2 or worse, then it is pretty jacked up.

H0RNEDFR0G

The committee is there to assert its will. Has nothing to do with putting the best four teams in the playoff. It is all to do with TV ratings.

2014 TCU kept out for not having a CCG, Ohio State wins CCG and gets in
2015 OU loses to UT who proceeds to go 5-7, no CCG. OU makes the CFP
2016 Penn State wins the CCG, Ohio State doesn't play for CCG and gets CFP invite

Long story short: Ohio State and OU pull in viewers, TCU does not.

Source: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/
OU @ Ohio State had 8.3 million viewers this year. TCU @ Oklahoma State had 2.6 mil. Our best ratings since 2014 was 5 million viewers at the Peach Bowl.

We afford to leave any doubt, the only way TCU makes it is by going 13-0.

The most-watched games of 2016 season on television were as follows:
1: 16,841,000 for Michigan at Ohio State on Nov. 26, 2016 on ABC
2: 11,093,000 for Alabama vs. Florida on Dec. 3, 2016 on CBS
3: 10,945,000 for Notre Dame at Texas on Sept. 4, 2016 on ABC
4: 10,385,000 for Alabama at LSU on Nov. 5, 2016 on CBS
5: 9,286,000 for Louisville at Clemson on Oct. 1, 2016 on ABC
6: 9,189,000 for Wisconsin at Penn State on Dec. 3, 2016 on FOX
7: 8,964,000 for Ohio State at Wisconsin on Oct. 15, 2016 on ABC
8: 8,455,000 for Texas A&M at Alabama on Oct. 22, 2016 on CBS
9: 8,354,000 for Ole Miss vs. Florida State on Sept. 5, 2016 on ESPN

Notice any blue bloods on there?

Last edited: