• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread

TCU_backer

There is still a lot of time until signing day... but who would have thought Baylor would have a Top 10 recruiting class? Of note, they only have two more players committed than we do.

upload_2017-8-2_9-49-22.png

Wexahu

There is a glitch in the matrix regarding Baylor's ranking. Once it is fixed they will drop pretty far.

(their average of 88.56 is way off, they only two players that are above that number)

They were actually shown as #1 for a little while yesterday. You're right, it's just an error in the system.

ScottPatrick

Reminder that Slade Bolden expected to announce tomorrow at 5:30 between TCU and Alabama and TCU is the favorite (Who woulda thunk it).

We will see if he pulls the surprise move for Alabama and Coach Daboll's revised offense or go with Coach Cumbie and his known offense. Having Coach Schloss talking to him doesn't hurt also.

Bolden had 37 touchdowns last season with over 2,500 all-purpose yards. Also played outfield and hit over .350 with 5 home runs. He has said he wants to concentrate on football but wants the option to add baseball and both programs open to that possibility.

Good quote from him recently regarding LSU:

“They’re just going to have to get over it,” Bolden said. “Once I got to high school, I finally realized that it’s not about what other people want. It’s what I want and what’s best for me. If Alabama or TCU is best for me, that’s where I need to go. It doesn’t matter what others think because they’re probably just sitting on the couch and watching TV.”

Wexahu

They need OTs:

The numbers don't seem to suggest this, especially if McKinney and the LSU transfer end up signing. I think that would make 6 non-true freshman OTs on the roster. How many do you need? Are the coaches resigned to the possibility that we may have missed on a couple recruits over the past few years?

ScottPatrick

The numbers don't seem to suggest this, especially if McKinney and the LSU transfer end up signing. I think that would make 6 non-true freshman OTs on the roster. How many do you need? Are the coaches resigned to the possibility that we may have missed on a couple recruits over the past few years?

Only 4 returning OTs for 2018: Niang, Myers, Awolope and Bolisomi and only Niang has had significant experience so far. Bolisomi may move inside especially if Vai struggles with injuries. Lettman is looked at as more of a guard right now due to lack of experience, could be another Pryor. Also Niang is getting really big and not sure he is as mobile as Thomsen likes on the corner but the kid is good.

I don't think they believe they missed on any of the players who joined the last few years, just have some more catching up to do.

TCU_backer

Sounds like you need to reconsider your follows if your timeline was blowing up about this (unless it was people questioning why a rape loving school like baylor was able to recruit so well).

Bingo. A lot of comparisons to UCF player getting the boot, while crickets for Baylor's sex abuse/rape cover-up and a Top 10 class.

Wexahu

Alabama is currently ranked #56 and #12 in SEC. They only have 7 commitments as of 8/2.

Which is why these rankings are pretty irrelevant at this point, and I've never understood why they don't have some kind of weighted average factored in so gross numbers of recruits isn't such a huge component of a ranking.

A team with 28 recruits is almost always going to have a higher ranking than a team with 20 recruits, which is stupid. So I guess the key to consistently "winning" the recruiting rankings is to always have a bunch of kids leave school or get kicked off the team so you can always have a max recruiting class.

Oh well, recruiting rankings are generally just something to give fans bragging rights anyway, I get suckered in just like a lot of people. As long as the coaches are getting guys they want, the rankings don't mean much.

Wexahu

Reminder that Slade Bolden expected to announce tomorrow at 5:30 between TCU and Alabama and TCU is the favorite (Who woulda thunk it).

We will see if he pulls the surprise move for Alabama and Coach Daboll's revised offense or go with Coach Cumbie and his known offense. Having Coach Schloss talking to him doesn't hurt also.

Bolden had 37 touchdowns last season with over 2,500 all-purpose yards. Also played outfield and hit over .350 with 5 home runs. He has said he wants to concentrate on football but wants the option to add baseball and both programs open to that possibility.

Good quote from him recently regarding LSU:

“They’re just going to have to get over it,” Bolden said. “Once I got to high school, I finally realized that it’s not about what other people want. It’s what I want and what’s best for me. If Alabama or TCU is best for me, that’s where I need to go. It doesn’t matter what others think because they’re probably just sitting on the couch and watching TV.”

Looks like he's picking Bama. A whole slew of CBs just came in for him going there. I would think that's usually an obvious sign.

Only 4 returning OTs for 2018: Niang, Myers, Awolope and Bolisomi and only Niang has had significant experience so far. Bolisomi may move inside especially if Vai struggles with injuries. Lettman is looked at as more of a guard right now due to lack of experience, could be another Pryor. Also Niang is getting really big and not sure he is as mobile as Thomsen likes on the corner but the kid is good.

I don't think they believe they missed on any of the players who joined the last few years, just have some more catching up to do.

Championships are made from the OL. TCU better get going.

Young and Horned

A shaky month for recruiting. I know we got a few guys, but lost out on bigger targets. Need to get some momentum going. Lets go kick Arkansas in the teeth, what say you?