• The KillerFrogs

Daily Comet: TCU’s Hill ready to help Horned Frogs bounce back

Armadillo

Jeff Ballard is one of my all time favorite TCU QBs. Kid was a back up then got a chance to play and excelled. As most have pointed out here, he was an excellent game manager at a time when our program was really taking that next step. Ballard had a very nice arm and was tough as nails. Was not a good runner but always put his head down to fight for the extra yard.

Wexahu

KH is a tremendous athlete. I hope he can be a better QB this season. Just needs to make better decisions. Hopefully a revitalized OLine with a very good OLine coach in place will also help Hill be more consistent.

A defense that doesn't consistently get chewed up by physical running teams and causes a turnover every now and then would make Hill look a lot better. As would receivers that don't drop 4 passes a game. As would a halfway decent running game.

Go back and watch the 2014 games if you can. Everyone has this idea that Boykin and crew just couldn't be stopped, which is far from true. That team was great because the defense was a disruptive, turnover causing machine.....not because we had a great offense.

Of things I worry about this year, Hill's performance is one of them, but it's pretty far down the list. The defense needs to get nasty again, it hasn't been for two years.

Horny4TCU

A defense that doesn't consistently get chewed up by physical running teams and causes a turnover every now and then would make Hill look a lot better. As would receivers that don't drop 4 passes a game. As would a halfway decent running game.

Go back and watch the 2014 games if you can. Everyone has this idea that Boykin and crew just couldn't be stopped, which is far from true. That team was great because the defense was a disruptive, turnover causing machine.....not because we had a great offense.

Of things I worry about this year, Hill's performance is one of them, but it's pretty far down the list. The defense needs to get nasty again, it hasn't been for two years.

Bumpas, Bumpas.... Bumpasupload_2017-7-3_1-1-23.png

Look at the Okie State game here last year as that game points out the trouble we had most of the year. Close early, miss a kick or two, make some odd decisions right before half, then get totally gashed by the run in the second half.

PO Frog

Look at the Okie State game here last year as that game points out the trouble we had most of the year. Close early, miss a kick or two, make some odd decisions right before half, then get totally gashed by the run in the second half.
GMFP making odd decisions before half? Giving me bad flashbacks of his brutal last-second of the first half punt attempt in a Waco for 61-58. Still blame that play for the loss more than any other. Not a single solitary positive outcome could have come from punting there. Even a muffed punt would have just given us the ball back with zero seconds on the clock.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, KH attended the Manning Passing Camp. This is deeply encouraging. It made a hell of a difference in Dalton, and I hope KH learned a few things about footwork and vision. These were areas in which he desperately needed improvement, and in which the Manning gig instructs beautifully. At the very least, some of the lessons and drills KH learned might be passed down to SR so he can begin processing them early on...

cdsfrog

Jeff Ballard is one of my all time favorite TCU QBs. Kid was a back up then got a chance to play and excelled. As most have pointed out here, he was an excellent game manager at a time when our program was really taking that next step. Ballard had a very nice arm and was tough as nails. Was not a good runner but always put his head down to fight for the extra yard.

Tough as well. Tye Gunn probably was more talented but got hurt so often. We got pretty lucky with that transition. He saved us after that horrible SMU loss and probable BYU loss.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Ballard was definitely good at throwing the ball away, sometimes a little too good. I don't think I've ever seen more passes launched into the stands than that 12-3 game against Tech. We did win the game, though, so it worked out.
Those were different days in TCU football philosophy.

TCU needs to catch the ball, make FGs, be Power 5 size (no more being run over like OSU and KSU did last season because TCU was MWC size). QB needs to make good decisions, defense needs to be able to pressure the guy with the ball without having to blitz every down. 4-2-5 works best with the defensive front can get to the QB without blitz help. And OL needs to be good to be a contender, and if they want to be Top 4 OL needs to be superb, starting with immediate chemistry and understanding what each others assignments are. These things I hope for TCU this coming season.

Snoop1122

TCU needs to no. 1 make FG kicks consistently 2. catch a consistent number of passes 3. beef up the the redshirt freshmen D lineman so we do not get pushed around inside and have more consistent pass rush.

ifrog

TCU needs to catch the ball, make FGs, be Power 5 size (no more being run over like OSU and KSU did last season because TCU was MWC size). QB needs to make good decisions, defense needs to be able to pressure the guy with the ball without having to blitz every down. 4-2-5 works best with the defensive front can get to the QB without blitz help. And OL needs to be good to be a contender, and if they want to be Top 4 OL needs to be superb, starting with immediate chemistry and understanding what each others assignments are. These things I hope for TCU this coming season.

Let's hope that our receivers don't drop almost 40 catchable passes this year.

Horny4TCU

The defense would be hard hitting, interceptions generating machines. And the offense would be touchdown passing, first down running speed demons if we just took down the GP statue until after he retires...

Froginbedford

And a pony...don't forget to ask for a pony...sooner or later, Santa will bring one, I just know it....

K Hill is just not a Gamer. Apparently a great practice week QB. I hope I'm wrong, but with KH being the starter for he season, I see 5-7.