• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth Regional discussion

flyfishingfrog

Again, it's hard to gauge anything in Omaha like that clip does. When I was there a few years back (the 15 inning UVA game) there were many neutral fans wooing, and at odd times. I guess for them it was just spontaneous and fun, but I've read that people get annoyed by it on neutral ground and I let them know that it's not always TCU fans.
However, Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be loud as Art Briles. So to the woman covering her ears and giving people dirty looks for being loud fans (not obnoxious, just loud) bring earplugs if you can't handle noise.
Exactly - I attend a lot of games when I get to Omaha, not just TCU games. And last year there were people wooing during almost every game - even the ones that we were not involved in and were a long time from our games so there were not many TCU fans in the stadium yet.

Just like I heard someone imitating the Vandy whistler the other day at one of the regionals that Vandy wasn't playing in

Pharm Frog

Wait, so are we bad again, unless the opposing team implodes and walks in runs?

giphy.gif

Not bad at all. But when we don't get free passes (which also turns the lineup over and runs up pitch counts) we struggle. We are not the type of team that generates a bunch with the bats. And, a lot of those free passes aren't really free...we earn them.

frognutz

On paper DBU hit better than we do too. I'm not saying I expect Mizzery State to be terrible, but we saw three teams in our regional with better offensive numbers than us and I think it says a lot about who they played relative to who we played.

You're right that it's foolhardy to think we're suddenly the best offense of the 16 remaining teams after all those walks and HBP this weekend. But we've been getting walks all season and at some point you have to start giving credit to the offense for working walks, getting guys on base, and getting timely hits/contact in order to drive them home. It's not something new.

Add stolen bases in there and that's how we've won games all year long.

PurpleBlood87

If I wasn't present at Lupton 3 years ago when the wooooooo first happened I might agree with you. If the wooooooo hadn't been effective I might also agree with you.

But after a full day of tailgating in the late May/early June heat and about 2/3 of the way into a 22 inning game when it's well after midnight you become a special kind of delirious. At that point ordinarily stupid things become fantastic. And the fact that it clearly rattled pitchers from day 1 and has remained effective since establishes it as a justifiable Lupton tradition, IMO.

Sure, visiting fans who are offended by it won't know the back story and probably won't care. But I don't care what they think. Really, it's too bad they can't have similar moments with their programs to have similar traditions. I know the story and I know it was a spontaneous creation that swept everyone at Lupton within a single inning so that's all that matters to me. It's more than some doofus bringing a bubble machine and a bunch of other half-wit adults thinking it was a good idea and calling it a tradition.

Thank you Joel for the WOO.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Some of you are big talkers who talk big behind a computer screen but are the biggest pusses. The Frogs won a tough regional but played average at best down the stretch...even uninspired sometimes. Traver and JJ pitched great. Howard was solid. DF showed signed of coming around. But a month ago, nobody knew what to expect...even the head coach who made a comment On a national radio show about not knowing how far this team can go, So all the name calling of Frog fans is stupid. Celebrate a tough regional win and hope the boys stay focused against mo state and keep improving so that something special might happen in Omaha. And quit acting better than someone else just because they may be more realistic about our teams.

You say realistic, I say ignorant.

HToady

Exactly - I attend a lot of games when I get to Omaha, not just TCU games. And last year there were people wooing during almost every game - even the ones that we were not involved in and were a long time from our games so there were not many TCU fans in the stadium yet.

Just like I heard someone imitating the Vandy whistler the other day at one of the regionals that Vandy wasn't playing in
So are you saying that blowing bubbles has not caught on with other school fans?

Tumbleweed

No mistake the Missouri gang is going to bring a higher level of competition. Two very good pitchers plus a staff to support the starters. Two or three who have big bats.. One called the best pure slugger in all of college baseball.

Does JS start Traver or who?? And, I believe Jim tinkers with the batting order again.

Going to be a heck of a game and see who jumps the first three innings.

Props to the ground crew. Bet they NO trouble falling to sleep.

Jet Set Frog

Not sports related, but the guy panhandling on the corner on the access road under I10 east and BW8 yesterday had a shirt that read "I'm ok with violence." He may need to rethink his strategy.

Must be a transplant from Waco....that probably worked out pretty well for him there.

OmniscienceFrog

I'll admit I'm trying to sweat out some alcohol this morning, but from the last few pages it's a bit clear that some of us will always have a negative look on anything and be scared of any opponent.

We scored 9,5 and 15 runs. That's amazing and if we do that this next weekend we'll be in Omaha.

"Yeah but the other pitchers walked us."
-Well, no poo poo, so you want us to swing at those pitches? Good hitters have great eyes.

"Yeah but we didn't do much against the starting pitcher and had to wait to get into the other teams bullpen."
-Yes. That's called baseball. Good teams do that. Like flyfish pointed out we stayed alive with a lot of guys fighting off two strike pitches. Some great, long at-bats from Sunday night.

"Yeah but we didn't hit many home runs."
-Frankly, I'm more impressed with situational hitting, execution and capitalizing on another team's mistakes more than I am back-to-back home runs.

The frogs might win the series and Missouri State might embarrass us Saturday and Sunday (that's the way baseball go) but our team is playing the way we want them to. So enjoy the ulcers, pill-popping and irregular heart beats this weekend folks.
To each his own.