• The KillerFrogs

Article on 1957 Cotton Bowl Photo

Opintel

Moderators
I was 10 years old - we kids watched the game on TV - I think my Mom and Dad went to the game...that was a long time ago.  People were different then, and in many cases it's good that it changed.

Football players, and the entire athletic system, have morphed into something that we wouldn't have even dreamed of, way back then.  I'm not so sure that it's an improvement, except that I am positive that racial barriers needed to fall.  Something about team seems to have pretty much gone another direction...let's hope we still have some of that "old fashioned" team still out there off Stadium Drive in Fort Worth.  Let's hope that it travels well to Georgia for New Years Eve.

My tickets were delivered  a few minutes ago.  It's made me nostalgic...warm, somehow.  A nice glass of wine appears appropriate for today.

Go Frogs.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Reading that article made me think of Patterson. "You know what bothers the fellows most at a moment like this...the thought that they might let Abe (Gary) down." Another that made me think of Gary is, "he looked out for us the way our parents presumed he would." That team had a special coach. We now have a special coach. Thank you Gary Patterson.

Frog DJ

My childhood!  

Like Opintel, I was 9-years old, and watched the game on TV at my grandparents house on Waits Avenue, three houses south of Berry.  

My parents went to the game, and when they got back from Dallas that night my father had a glow on his face I had never seen before.

This is TCU history, people!  This is where we Horned Frogs came from!  Carve out an hour of your day and bathe in the legacy of our alma mater.

Thanks for posting - this made my day!

Wow!

Go Frogs!

I still see some of these men on Saturdays, Buddy Dike in particular.  He is a great guy.  As a high school sophomore, I had Frank Hyde for world history and as a coach.  My mom and dad attended Cleburne High with Frank.  I got to know Chuck Curtis when he was coaching Cleburne High to some of their most successful seasons since the '50s.  Lots of good folks in that photo.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The freshmen orientation committee needs to scrap the "Call Me Maybe" song skit immediately.  Replace it with a huge backdrop of this highlighted photograph and Dan Jenkins or William Walker reading the text of the article.  Kids will be imprinted with Horned Frog for life.

Leap Frog

purplepreacher said:
Every time I read this tears of pride well up.  This article explains the essence of TCU football.  Jim Brown said in an interview about the game that TCU players were a nice bunch of human beings.  This was TCU's zenith during the fifties.

Exactly right P.P., Jim Brown appreciated the hard hits he got and the clean way they were made. He and Jim Shofner became friends while playing with the Cleveland Browns, and Brown has always had good things to say about the Frogs in one of the best games of the 20th century.

Leap Frog

Dr. Gonzo said:
Anyone know where you can find a print of the photo?

I am not computer savvy, but the post S.I. Moment of truth (on this page) has excellent picture. Don't know why you couldn't copy that on photo paper-- maybe someone else has a better answer.