• The KillerFrogs

Recent content by McGregor's Goat

1. McGregor's Goat

2023 BOWL GAMES THREAD

The best team that SMU had in roughly 40 years wasn't particularly competitive against a 6-6 Boston College.
  2. McGregor's Goat

ACC about to blow up?

I almost feel bad about being this petty, but it will crack me up if SMU blows $200MM of booster money on joining a conference that dies well before they see a dime of media rights money.
  3. McGregor's Goat

DC Joe Gillespie let go

This looks like a very reasonable hire. A guy from outside the program with a history of success as a DC? That's all you can ask for. Some people really love to complain.
  4. McGregor's Goat

Football Scoop: Sonny Dykes lays bare college football's problems

I think the argument for Dykes was "He was very bad at Cal, but that's a Cal issue, no one could have won there with the complete lack of resources. He was good at LA Tech and SMU, and he made both places better." I was sympathetic to this argument last year, obviously, but then he turned...
  5. McGregor's Goat

247 sports says changes might happen at coordinator(s) in next 24 hours

I didn't know this (I'm not saying it's wrong) so I looked up UT's defensive rankings (per Sports Reference) 2021: 99 2022: 28 2023: 12 Yeah, they were bad in 2021, but the defense was kind of good in 2022, hard to see why you would want a guy fired with that much improvement. For TCU, I see...
  6. McGregor's Goat

Head-to-Head

If Bama beats Georgia and Texas beats Oklahoma State, I imagine the following conversation with a Bama fan: Bama fan: We beat the Dawgs! SEC champs, you can't keep us out of the playoffs! Me: Georgia looked more impressive over the course of the season and has the same record as Bama, maybe...
  7. McGregor's Goat

Tyrell Brown and Coach Kaz.

There have been so many games, against a wide variety of talent levels, where Gillespie seemed totally out-coached and unable to make adjustments (Georgia, Colorado, K-State, Oklahoma). TCU had some personnel deficiencies on defense but I'm pretty confident in saying that they underachieved...
  8. McGregor's Goat

Gillespie Final Season Grade

This defense was so fundamentally broken in so many ways, if Dykes doesn't think there needs to be a change he also needs to go.
  9. McGregor's Goat

Fire Joe Gillespie

One mistake most fans make is to basically think, "Others teams are exactly the same in every game they play, but my team has good performances and bad performances." I agree that Houston is terrible. I don't think Colorado is great. But I also think if you talked to Colorado players...
  10. McGregor's Goat

Sonny considers hiring KB

Kendal Briles in 2016, *after* his dad was fired for the rape scandal. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If you either don't care who TCU hires, or you do in theory but think Kendal is fine and just gets a bad rap, fine. But I will personally be disgusted if TCU hires him, and I...
  11. McGregor's Goat

TCU New OC Candidates

I agree. And maybe I'm a hypocrite for sticking with the team after they hired Kaz, but drawing the line at a literal Briles. But I'm still drawing the line here, even though no one will care. You can hit me with the "old man yells at cloud" meme, I probably deserve it.
  12. McGregor's Goat

TCU New OC Candidates

I'm pretty bummed about this. Hiring Scrappy Doo Briles would be 1,000,000x worse than watching TCU get turned into a grease spot by Georgia. I emailed Donati to tell him I'm out if they make the hire (even though my stance won't make any difference). I guess there are other things to do than...
  13. McGregor's Goat

DMN: ‘It makes me want to vomit’: SMU fans won’t root for TCU, Sonny Dykes in CFP title game

I stand corrected. SMU fans, go ahead and be mad. We're just as dumb as you.
  14. McGregor's Goat

DMN: ‘It makes me want to vomit’: SMU fans won’t root for TCU, Sonny Dykes in CFP title game

I graduated a couple years before Fran arrived. I wasn't on campus, but the consensus among my friends and I was basically, "Of course you can't blame him for taking the job." Maybe there were people screaming about it on message boards, although I don't remember message boards existing at the...
  15. McGregor's Goat

I don't understand why SMU fans are mad. It wasn't a lateral move. TCU fans didn't act shocked and offended when Franchione left TCU for Alabama. Dykes left for a significantly better job, get on with your life and hope that SMU invests in building the program into something that matters.