• The KillerFrogs

Recent content by Daughters_were_Frogs

1. D

TCU social media trolls Cincinnati and skyline chili after win

Almost every Saturday when I lived there, I had lunch at the Skyline at Clifton and Ludlow. Lunch consisted of a 5-way, a cheese Coney with onions, and a Pepsi (no coke, only Pepsi). The best of both worlds (dog and pasta). Also, authentic recipes for Skyline can be hard to find. We have one...
  2. D

TCU social media trolls Cincinnati and skyline chili after win

I was in grad school in Cincinnati about 40 years ago. At that time, there were three varieties of "Cincinnati-style" chili: Empress; Camp Washington; and Skyline. They are not the same. Skyline was always my favorite. There is a Skyline chili parlor adjacent to the campus at Clifton and...
  3. D

Super Regional Game 2 pushed back to 7:00

Does anyone know if our game is being televised? They just moved UT to ESPN2 and Oregon to ESPNU, evidently leaving us out. Am I missing something?
  4. D

Southwest just cancelled 2/3rds of their flights Today

It is, perhaps, interesting, and ironic, to note that a significant amount of money was spent upgrading the crew scheduling system during what I'll call Feld Group I. Those upgrades did not envision the dramatic changes in the business model that were coming in the 2010 timeframe and thus the...
  5. D

Gary was in charge when Feld was brought in (for the first of two engagements). A large amount of money was allocated to Technology during that time, so Gary was not afraid to spend on Technology as you implied in your earlier post. I spent a fair bit of time at SWA myself, and I'm no...
  6. D

You missed my point. Pilots are responsible for flying the airplanes, and that's it. That gives them a certain perspective. The bus driver analogy is humorous (to me), but it's largely correct. You said it yourself in an earlier post.
  7. D

A lot happened in SWA technology after 2003. You do recall Bob Jordan was in charge of Technology while the Feld Group was in place, right? A lot of money was spent on technology upgrades after 2003.
  8. D

Bob Jordan should not get a pass on this mess. He was on the vanguard of marketing priorities that outran operational capabilities -- both business processes and technology infrastructure.
  9. D

Yeah, I know pilots don't set fares. (I did a consulting project for Northwest Airlines a few years ago. Their crew schedulers referred to pilots as "bus drivers", believe it or not.) And yes, there were connecting flights available for my friend. Fares over ORD at that time were in the...
  10. D

A friend of mine was booked on a flight from Indianapolis to Love Field yesterday on SWA that got cancelled. She tried to book a flight from Indy to DFW on AA and there was space available -- at a $4,500 fare one way! So, yeah, AA will come to the rescue gladly at that rate!
  11. D

OK, fair point. Note that I'm not a pilot, so I can't possibly have that perspective. Recovery from 9/11 was arduous and incredibly sad, but compared to what SWA has in front of them right now, recovery from 9/11 seems like it was a bit easier. Everyone was grounded, and hence the game was not...
  12. D

They will certainly try to avoid it if they can, especially as they've angered so many people already. But their crews are scattered all over the country and they must get them positioned correctly to get the airline back on track. Bumping 20 people, say, off a flight to accommodate crew...
  13. D

Must be cautious about base-base flights. SWA (or any airline) will "bump" paying passengers if necessary in order to position crews. So, just because a flight is not canceled doesn't mean everyone will be accommodated.
  14. D

K-State Flyover

I really enjoyed last night's game. For me, it ranked right up there with Utah and the Rose Bowl as one of the top three TCU games I've attended. I enjoyed the flyover. Does anyone have information about the airplane? It looked like a WWII vintage B24 but I'm no expert. It also seemed to...