• The KillerFrogs

2011 Rose Bowl Aerial Shot During Flyover

yurintroubl

No larger version available yet (to my knowledge), but here ya go...

2011-Rose-Bowl.jpg

Source: West Coast Aerial Photography Blog

ENJOY!!

ETA:

Update:
New images added on January 13, 2011

I've found a few more images around the web the last week or so... I'm going to go through my history and properly credit their sources (Give me a day or so... If an image is yours - I promise you will be acknowledged).

aerialrosebowlfootballa.jpg

rosebowltcu2011pressbox.jpg

rosebowlcrowdatkickoff.jpg

If I may be given the latitude to put on my nerd hat a little, listed attendance was 94,188. If you start a half section counterclockwise from 6 o'clock and sweep over almost two full sections counterclockwise of midfield (3 o'clock), that part of the stadium is almost completely purple. That portion is roughly sweeping an arc of 117 degrees, or 32% of the stadium. It's a little hard to tell what is shadow and what is shirt color but the next three sections continuing counter-clockwise also appear to have significant numbers (50% ish?) in purple ... an arc of about 39 degrees (11% of the stadium). Then it is almost all Wisconsin from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock, clockwise.

So estimating:
100% TCU -- 32% of 94,188 = 30,140
50% TCU -- 11% of 94,188 * 50% = 5,180
Then you've got the section halved at 6 o'clock which appears to be about 6 degrees (1.6%) and is roughly 3/4 purple = 1.6% of 94,188 * 75% = 1,130

That would put the estimate of total purple people at 36,450 or 39% of the crowd. 61% Wisconsin.

Considering that our attendance at the game is roughly equivalent to half of our alumni base, I'd say we traveled pretty effing good. We brought almost our average home game attendance to that game.

I think perceptually we were hurt by the fact that we were the "home" team and the cameras were all shooting the game from TCU's side. On TV all you ever saw was red, aside from the occasional crowd or overhead shot ...

Houston Frog

If I may be given the latitude to put on my nerd hat a little, listed attendance was 94,188. If you start a half section counterclockwise from 6 o'clock and sweep over almost two full sections counterclockwise of midfield (3 o'clock), that part of the stadium is almost completely purple. That portion is roughly sweeping an arc of 117 degrees, or 32% of the stadium. It's a little hard to tell what is shadow and what is shirt color but the next three sections continuing counter-clockwise also appear to have significant numbers (50% ish?) in purple ... an arc of about 39 degrees (11% of the stadium). Then it is almost all Wisconsin from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock, clockwise.

So estimating:
Then you've got the section halved at 6 o'clock which appears to be about 6 degrees (1.6%) and is roughly 3/4 purple = 1.6% of 94,188 * 75% = 1,130

That would put the estimate of total purple people at 36,450 or 39% of the crowd. 61% Wisconsin.

Considering that our attendance at the game is roughly equivalent to half of our alumni base, I'd say we traveled pretty effing good. We brought almost our average home game attendance to that game.

I was about to post the EXACT same thing

frogbyproxy

I've got software at work that could probably give me a much more accurate estimate for the "mixed" sections, but I thought that might be taking it too far ...

Hummmm... Go For it! :tongue: Nothing like real proof to shut down ESPN! Hey Dr. Lou take a look at this and tell us what ya think! :cool:

sous vide

So estimating:

Here is the best I can do with differentiating Red from Purple playing with color channels. Basically I've enhanced blue and fiddled with the thresholds of red. Don't know about that area at 12:00 exactly either.

2011-Rose-Bowl.jpg

nayr150

So estimating:

Was going to ask for this in chart form, but I guess the original pic is essentially a chart.

Come on guys! Its obvious that the stadium was 70% Texas Tech fans

:laugh: