• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Wexahu

I'll say this. During football season I watch through youtubetv, just bc i like their streaming service better than others. During baseball time I cancel YT and go to fubo which carries the astros.

That said, I bet a lot of pacific teams who subscribe to Apple just for football will leave after the 4 month football season is over to a better platform
The streaming option is not good for the PAC, but if the cost for Apple TV stays at $7/month someone could buy the entire season for under $30. That doesn't seem like much.

The exposure part is very real though and will hurt the league big time.

East Coast

Tier 1
The streaming option is not good for the PAC, but if the cost for Apple TV stays at $7/month someone could buy the entire season for under $30. That doesn't seem like much.

The more Apple gives the PAC for the rights, the more Apple will charge for an extra subscription to get the games. I can't see Apple paying more than $20 million/team if they keep the games as part of their base package.

Limey Frog

It would be better for Pac 12 fans who currently can't get their network, but it'll get you virtually no neutral viewership.

Eight

It would be better for Pac 12 fans who currently can't get their network, but it'll get you virtually no neutral viewership.

how is that better than the current arrangement?

thought the pac network is available through sling or fubo's premier package

sling is what, 30-40 a month with the other content and fubo is how much w the premier package?

apple right now is only 8-10 a month, but there isn't much real content which goes back to the very problem w the streaming option

on top of the convenience issue watching events through any apps

example, last night i watched the world baseball classic on tv and the frogs play acu on a laptop because i didn't want to go through the hassle of going in and out.

Limey Frog

how is that better than the current arrangement?

thought the pac network is available through sling or fubo's premier package

sling is what, 30-40 a month with the other content and fubo is how much w the premier package?

apple right now is only 8-10 a month, but there isn't much real content which goes back to the very problem w the streaming option

on top of the convenience issue watching events through any apps

example, last night i watched the world baseball classic on tv and the frogs play acu on a laptop because i didn't want to go through the hassle of going in and out.
Well, to be fair, my purely anecdotal sample size here is one. My buddy is a former UO letterman. He already has Apple TV but is always complaining about not having access to the Pac 12 networks. Not really a great data set.

Eight

Well, to be fair, my purely anecdotal sample size here is one. My buddy is a former UO letterman. He already has Apple TV but is always complaining about not having access to the Pac 12 networks. Not really a great data set.

from the proverbial 10,000 feet away that sounds to me more about convenience rather than access which goes back to the elephant in the room when it comes to moving to a streaming platform

anyone with a smart tv and internet access can in theory get programming on sling, fubo, youtube, direct streaming, espn(+), etc....

questions come down to are you willing to pay the price for it and jump through the various hurdles to access it.

none of that changes going to apple as apple tv and/or apple tv + might come to my phone, watch, laptop, and tablet but not via cable or conventional broadcast tv

82 Frog Fever

Yeah, yesterday‘s exec. meeting was rescheduled to today & still no real numbers.
ESPN/PAC are miles apart. Amazon has some interest, but only at their low $ figure.
Apple appears to be their drop dead last hope, and that’s a 100% streaming deal that would be DOA with (at least) Oregon, Wash, & Az. voting HELL NO.

They can get decent coverage from their partners, but that’s @ only $22-$25m. The $31m under discussion from 5-6 months ago is long gone.
Otherwise it’s100% Apple streaming, and I highly doubt anything close to $40m is being discussed.
Caught between a rock and a hard place.

The next board meeting is scheduled for mid-April.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
from the proverbial 10,000 feet away that sounds to me more about convenience rather than access which goes back to the elephant in the room when it comes to moving to a streaming platform

anyone with a smart tv and internet access can in theory get programming on sling, fubo, youtube, direct streaming, espn(+), etc....

questions come down to are you willing to pay the price for it and jump through the various hurdles to access it.

none of that changes going to apple as apple tv and/or apple tv + might come to my phone, watch, laptop, and tablet but not via cable or conventional broadcast tv
I hate streaming live events like college football because moving from service to service means getting out of one service, entering another, maybe going through the identification bs, and then buffering buffering buffering. You literally can't peak in on other games, I guess I'd do it if it was the only way to get TCU football and it wasn't too expensive but I'd consider it a downgrade and let Donati know about it.

East Coast

Tier 1
Yeah, yesterday‘s exec. meeting was rescheduled to today & still no real numbers.
ESPN/PAC are miles apart. Amazon has some interest, but only at their low $ figure.
Apple is their drop dead last hope, and that’s a 100% streaming deal that would be DOA with (at least) Oregon, Wash, & Az. voting HELL NO.

They can get decent coverage from their partners, but that’s @ only $22-$25m. The $31m under discussion from 5-6 months ago is long gone.
Otherwise it’s100% Apple streaming, and I highly doubt anything close to $40m is being discussed.
Apple was a pain to deal with and moved at a glacial pace when they were a customer of mine. And they certainly didn't overpay for things. Why does the PAC think they would pay a significant premium compared to others?

82 Frog Fever

Apple was a pain to deal with and moved at a glacial pace when they were a customer of mine. And they certainly didn't overpay for things. Why does the PAC think they would pay a significant premium compared to others?
Mostly because it’s not linear TV coverage and in a streaming deal, the PAC pays the production costs thru PACN.

Limey Frog

Looking more likely that they're thinking what they need to believe because they're desperate. Maybe not; maybe they have something up their sleeve and really are just working on the details. Canzano is still claiming that [he Tweeted today that Fox is still "engaged" to purchase a game or two (i.e., sublease back from Apple)]. Scheer Tweeted that the numbers aren't good enough at this time; so did The Monty Show. One person's source is the Pac office, one is the Arizona AD's office, one is the Utah AD's office.

Obviously still impossible to know at this point. Trust no one, Scully.

Last edited:

Eight

I hate streaming live events like college football because moving from service to service means getting out of one service, entering another, maybe going through the identification bs, and then buffering buffering buffering. You literally can't peak in on other games, I guess I'd do it if it was the only way to get TCU football and it wasn't too expensive but I'd consider it a downgrade and let Donati know about it.

eS5naWY.gif

TCUdirtbag

Apple appears to be their drop dead last hope, and that’s a 100% streaming deal that would be DOA with (at least) Oregon, Wash, & Az. voting HELL NO.

The next board meeting is scheduled for mid-April.
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. This thing has been dragging for months — they have been given numbers.