• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Limey Frog

yup. I always root for UTAH over BYU and some others. UTAH has a great atmosphere. But BYU on a Saturday night big game can dang near, almost match the intensity of a Penn State white out. On other games though, they have spotty attending at best.
The atmosphere in Rice-Eccles Stadium was electric the first Saturday in November 2010. Until Josh Boyce went 75 yards to the endzone and quieted everyone but about 1000 visiting Texans down.

Limey Frog

BYU is ecstatic. They hate Utah worse than we hate Baylor.
x1000.

All this academic talk is dumb. Higher education is a house of cards. Even the "good schools" are just elitist credential mills.

Mean Purple

The atmosphere in Rice-Eccles Stadium was electric the first Saturday in November 2010. Until Josh Boyce went 75 yards to the endzone and quieted everyone but about 1000 visiting Texans down.
I thought they did a good job with the Olympics. sux that they moved the olympic cauldrin, but expansion was needed. The new location is supposed to be a fairly cool place to visit. So, bucket list.

DeuceBoogieNights

I’d definitely be interested to know what specific stuff they’ve been completely wrong about?

They’ve been saying for months, with the possible exception of Az., there is no team that wants to leave for the B12.
However, every school President has a responsibility to form their own backup action plan, as the current media deal is 70%+ streaming with Amazon and/or Apple, & ESPN @ $22-$25m and it hasn’t budged in a month.
Now they say Utah academia is currently in power and they don’t believe Utah is a B12 fit academically, which could certainly change, but makes perfect sense when you have one of the top competing med schools.

I’ll make sure to follow up at a later date to see if they‘re right, or if you are.

I mean he said the deal was finalized weeks ago and crickets. I don't keep track of every wrong thing they say. Calm the scheiss down

tcudoc

So, I was leaving the office one evening and two guys who looked about 23 were on there bikes, had their shirts and ties on. Rolled down the window and asked, "y'all play in the secondary or special teams?"

The didn't get the joke.
well-waiting.gif

Nick Danger

So, I was leaving the office one evening and two guys who looked about 23 were on there bikes, had their shirts and ties on. Rolled down the window and asked, "y'all play in the secondary or special teams?"

The didn't get the joke.
The joke would have been on you if they had peddled up to your car at the next red light and asked if you'd like to talk about John Smith for the next minute! :oops:

82 Frog Fever

I mean he said the deal was finalized weeks ago and crickets. I don't keep track of every wrong thing they say. Calm the scheiss down

That is true, they did say it was done.
However, they were 1/2 right. It absolutely was done from the media’s point of view.
The numbers haven’t changed. The P12 has been pleading (begging) their case for a month since then, but the media’s number hasn’t changed.

Their biggest report is the $22-$25m figure. If they are wrong about that; then they are hacks.
….but if they’re right, they were the 1st ones to report it & they stuck to it.

82 Frog Fever

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but that's a pretty stupid list. No way KU and Houston are the two least attractive. No way Illinois is #59. No way Rutgers is #65, Missouri is #53, Iowa State #27 (how the hell is Iowa State that much more attractive than Mizzou), Miami #25, Stanford #17....Wisconsin #7? And Northwestern is higher than Nebraska, Arkansas, Minnesota, Kentucky and Purdue, among others. LOL.
Well the list is from SI, so take it with a grain of salt.
But the point is the same. We cant afford any more teams that don’t make more $$$.
I fully understand Az. & ASU. However, if UU is out, I can’t see taking Col. & another loser of the B12’s choosing.

Limey Frog

That is true, they did say it was done.
However, they were 1/2 right. It absolutely was done from the media’s point of view.
The numbers haven’t changed. The P12 has been pleading (begging) their case for a month since then, but the media’s number hasn’t changed.

Their biggest report is the $22-$25m figure. If they are wrong about that; then they are hacks.
….but if they’re right, they were the 1st ones to report it & they stuck to it.
If they're right about that the Pac 12 is over. Many other sources are suggesting otherwise. We'll see; I hope they're right.

82 Frog Fever

1. Gonzaga is probably contingent on adding PAC schools. Travel much easier with closer schools.

2. TV contract not nearly as important as GOR. Reason the money is so low is 7 of the teams are dying to leave. And W&O won't sign anyway.

3. Really tired of the PAC teams disparaging Big12 academics. So what if WV is rated low. And OSU. Tech. KSU. UH. UCF. Okay.

4. Utah won't come because of Big12 academics. Hilarious. They will do anything to stay attached to Stanford. BYU is ecstatic. They hate Utah worse than we hate Baylor.

5. Regarding all this research crap, does anyone really believe they get research contracts because they are in a football conference? Really? All that business will leave immediately if they change football conferences? Ask any of those department heads where they get research money. They will say they have extensive contacts in the industry, market aggressively and have good facilities. A football conference? They'll laugh.
Utah is funny. TCU is ranked quite a bit ahead of them academically.

Wrt the research crap, I guess it’s possible there could be some synergies via association with other AAU schools that might get them a little more $$$, but Kansas is a mid-level research player, and the B12 doesn’t seem to be hurting them.

Utah is trying to become a Stanford or Cal. and that doesn’t seem likely when they’re ranked 100+.

I believe you‘re right, Wash & Oregon won’t sign any Pac12 GOR, especially when they believe they can go to the B10 for a reduced $40m share in the very near future; then get a full share at the next media deal.

82 Frog Fever

does anyone still read si?
Idk if they’re even still a magazine, but occasionally they have a free on line article that‘s readable

In general, I’m not too impressed with any sports media today.
It seems like they’re always trying to report their take on a story, instead of just reporting the actual story.
and half the time their take is wrong.