• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Hemingway

Still can't stop laughing at the Pac 12 adding SMU who has accomplished nothing other than existing in the right place

Feel bad for Boise State. They have conference titles, BCS bowl wins, NY6 bowl wins, Top 10 finishes, and more NCAA tournament appearances than SMU over the last 15 years... but they get the shaft
Probably helps the big10 legally when they take uW or uo. Less likely to be blamed for blowing up the Pac.

Frozen Frog

Could it be SMU posturing for a Big 12 invite? I don’t have the disdain many have for SMU. I’m not saying they bring anything to the Big 12. The best reason to add them would be to build a fortress around TX to try to stop out of state recruiting.

If the PAC takes SMU I would think the other Texas school they would target is Rice. It’s the best fit for the PAC though I would not put it past Aggie to pull an Aggie and leave the SEC for the PAC. They do seem to hate Texas that much.

I think the ACC is the better fit by far for SMU. If Notre Lame leaves the ACC I’m not sure the Big 12 is safe from poaching. The schools I think would leave are the eastern ones which are probably looking to avoid the western travel.

The Big Ten is the big fish. They will always dictate what happens. There are a few SEC schools that would love to join the Big Ten.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Could it be SMU posturing for a Big 12 invite? I don’t have the disdain many have for SMU. I’m not saying they bring anything to the Big 12. The best reason to add them would be to build a fortress around TX to try to stop out of state recruiting.

If the PAC takes SMU I would think the other Texas school they would target is Rice. It’s the best fit for the PAC though I would not put it past Aggie to pull an Aggie and leave the SEC for the PAC. They do seem to hate Texas that much.

I think the ACC is the better fit by far for SMU. If Notre Lame leaves the ACC I’m not sure the Big 12 is safe from poaching. The schools I think would leave are the eastern ones which are probably looking to avoid the western travel.

The Big Ten is the big fish. They will always dictate what happens. There are a few SEC schools that would love to join the Big Ten.
The only thing those two properties bring is 1.) Carriage fees (provided the PAC figures out their 3rd tier rights), and 2.) Better airport access than Pullman, WA.

Eight

rice is invisible in the city of houston pretty much year round when it comes to sports and not sure how smu would stem the outflow of recruits from texas

gun to my head, couldn't make a decent guess the last time i heard anyone host or caller on houston radio or television mention rice football or basketball

Limey Frog

Could it be SMU posturing for a Big 12 invite? ...
From the Dennis Dodd article yesterday:
"The next Pac-12 deal is expected to be split between a streaming service and ESPN. With the Pac-12 seemingly unable to reach its compensation target -- believed to be approximately $30 million to $35 million per program annually -- it appears to be urgent for the conference to expand as a condition of completing a deal in the monetary range it seeks... Adding the programs would increase annual Pac-12 game inventory 20% from 75 games per season to 90." https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ary-before-league-inks-new-media-rights-deal/
They had said they would do the media deal first and evaluate expansion after, now they're doing it the other way around. They are being told by their prospective broadcasters that they need more members, per Dodd.

Two take-aways on that regarding your questions:

1. SMU can't leverage that into membership anywhere else, because no other conference has that same need.
2. Whatever the Pac's current value is < the conference's value after adding SMU. In other words, it's not great.

"I think the ACC is the better fit by far for SMU. If Notre Lame leaves the ACC I’m not sure the Big 12 is safe from poaching. The schools I think would leave are the eastern ones which are probably looking to avoid the western travel."
Notre Dame isn't leaving the ACC without breaking their GOR, which binds them as well as every other member (just at a lower rate because their football rights aren't included). But if the GOR is broken once, it is broken for all (at least the door would be wide open for legal challenges claiming that without ND the deal is substantially changed and thus null and void). In that scenario, Clemson and several others make hard pushes to bolt for the SEC, which probably happens and the ACC's leftovers will be calling us, not vice versa.

Last edited:

Eight

Well believe it or not, the P12 is very much considering 4 teams to at least give the appearance that they are keeping up with 12 teams.

The top 4 candidates are:
SDSU
SMU
Fresno State
UNLV

how does adding those teams bring any real value to the p12?

admit i am not very smart so someone type slowly and use small words for me to explain how adding three of those schools brings much new to the pac they don't already have other than the specific fan bases of fresno, sdstate, and unlv

as far as smu they aren't noticed now in the metroplex and they damn sure aren't a team of interest in central texas and the gulf coast

Opportunity for TCU vs SMU on a stage—the Iron Skillet should grow to be the DFW version of the Red River Shootout. Crosstown rivals of like schools with long history. Now back on equal footings with Big 12 versus PAC 12 bragging rights. TCU, SMU, Fort Worth, Dallas and ESPN should market the hell out of this.

Last edited:

Eight

Opportunity for TCU vs SMU on a national stage—the Iron Skillet should grow to be the DFW version of the Red River Rivalry. Crosstown rivals of like schools with long history. Now back on equal footings with Big 12 versus PAC 12 bragging rights. TCU, SMU, Fort Worth, Dallas and ESPN should market the hell out of this.

you been day drinking if you think the iron skillet is close to texas-ou in terms of significance or national interest

only took decades of winning by texas and ou for that game to reach a level of national interest

And as this rivalry grows to a great game of Texas tradition and maybe national tradition, some of the DFW recruits and statewide recruits may want to stay home and be a part of it.

It can be a recruiting tool—dream big!

Last edited:

Big Frog II

Well believe it or not, the P12 is very much considering 4 teams to at least give the appearance that they are keeping up with 12 teams.

The top 4 candidates are:
SDSU
SMU
Fresno State
UNLV
None of those schools have done anything on the national stage in a very long time. Fresno does have pretty good attendance. What makes me laugh is how the Pac 12 their noses up for years at the Big 12 schools, and now they are considering those 4. lololol

82 Frog Fever

how does adding those teams bring any real value to the p12?

admit i am not very smart so someone type slowly and use small words for me to explain how adding three of those schools brings much new to the pac they don't already have other than the specific fan bases of fresno, sdstate, and unlv

as far as smu they aren't noticed now in the metroplex and they damn sure aren't a team of interest in central texas and the gulf coast
Totally agree, and P12 schools that might be considering a move to the B12 must be thinking the same thing.
And I don’t understand how that wouldn’t crater any potential media deal.

Limey Frog

Opportunity for TCU vs SMU on a national stage—the Iron Skillet should grow to be the DFW version of the Red River Rivalry. Crosstown rivals of like schools with long history. Now back on equal footings with Big 12 versus PAC 12 bragging rights. TCU, SMU, Fort Worth, Dallas and ESPN should market the hell out of this.
It's the Red River Shootout.

And, no, the Iron Skillet series will never be anywhere near that. But it could certainly get a prestige upgrade, and I personally think that SMU joining the Pac would achieve that. I agree that this would benefit TCU football, if only marginally.

It's the Red River Shootout.

And, no, the Iron Skillet series will never be anywhere near that. But it could certainly get a prestige upgrade, and I personally think that SMU joining the Pac would achieve that. I agree that this would benefit TCU football, if only marginally.
I would certainly think the Big 12 commissioner, Yormark, being the marketing guru he is missioned to be, would want to build this up. You take advantage of opportunity instead of pissing on it like most do here. This is a rather obvious play to exploit. I sometimes wonder how people on here survive in their business with all the negativity.

Eight

I would certainly think the Big 12 commissioner, Yormark, being the marketing guru he is missioned to be, would want to build this up. You take advantage of opportunity instead of pissing on it like most do here. This is a rather obvious play to exploit.

lived outside the metroplex in central texas and the gulf coast and the next time i hear on the radio or read about the iron skillet game will be the first time

you want it relevant, you want people outside the two schools to care have something more than kitchenware at stake

when was the last time that game mattered on a national level or than one school screwing up the season for the other?

fix that and people might notice and to be really blunt i don't think i was born yet the last time it mattered on a national level

Limey Frog

I would certainly think the Big 12 commissioner, Yormark, being the marketing guru he is missioned to be, would want to build this up. You take advantage of opportunity instead of pissing on it like most do here. This is a rather obvious play to exploit. I sometimes wonder how people on here survive in their business with all the negativity.
Yes. As I've written here many times, I think the series is already worth continuing. SMU getting a program upgrade and our being able to make it as a Pac 12-Big XII clash for supremacy in north Texas isn't going to make it less worth maintaining, even if the marketing is somewhat hyperbolic. I mean, what sports marketing isn't?