• The KillerFrogs

The Washington Post: In a 12-team playoff, will anyone care who wins a conference title?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

In a 12-team playoff, will anyone care who wins a conference title?

www.msn.com.ico
The Washington Post on MSN.com|2 hours ago

Georgia safety Chris Smith has made three trips to the SEC championship game without winning one, so, for him, the stakes of Saturday's title game against LSU at Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium couldn't be higher.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-care-who-wins-a-conference-title/ar-AA14OSJF

froginmn

I've said it many times and I still think it. The teams that will get screwed are 9-12.

Under the new format, #10 K State, instead of going to the Sugar Bowl, would play a game about December 19 at Tennessee. Lose and go home.

Wexahu

I've said it many times and I still think it. The teams that will get screwed are 9-12.

Under the new format, #10 K State, instead of going to the Sugar Bowl, would play a game about December 19 at Tennessee. Lose and go home.
Now teams that make the playoff are getting screwed?

I don’t really understand this logic. The Sugar isn’t anything like it used to be now, and the Bowls are just gonna be that much more insignificant in the future. The #9-12 aren’t going to have a chance in hell of winning it all though, should have been limited to 8 with no byes.

Limey Frog

I, for one, will always care about the B12 conference championship. I believe most others will also. And I believe this writer was having a hard time coming up with a theme for his required column and threw this out there in desperation.

Yeah, this is a dumb argument. This weekend it doesn't matter if Georgia or Michigan lose their CCG, and if TCU's jersey said 'Oklahoma' it wouldn't matter for us, either. Then the other major CCG would put a winner in the playoff who in this model has no chance. So, yes, they will matter vastly more.

froginmn

Now teams that make the playoff are getting screwed?

I don’t really understand this logic. The Sugar isn’t anything like it used to be now, and the Bowls are just gonna be that much more insignificant in the future. The #9-12 aren’t going to have a chance in hell of winning it all though, should have been limited to 8 with no byes.
My logic is that for me the Fiesta, Rose, and Peach all have lots of pageantry and excitement built in to the experience. It's a neutral site and the host cities put tons of effort into making it a good experience for all fans. The Rose Parade was a big part of the experience and my wife and kids loved it.

I doubt that going to State College in the middle of December will be very fun (as opposed to Atlanta, Pasadena, Phoenix) and I'm guessing that the folks there won't spend a whole lot of time creating the events and pageantry that traditional bowls do (especially since they'll have only a couple weeks notice that they're even hosting).

If you're strictly a football fan like me, of course the game itself will make it worthwhile. But the draw of big bowls goes beyond the game itself. That's what will be lost.

Casey T

I believe if K State were to lose in this scenario, they still go to a bowl. Just not a NY6 bowl since those are used for the next 2 rounds of playoff games

Wexahu

My logic is that for me the Fiesta, Rose, and Peach all have lots of pageantry and excitement built in to the experience. It's a neutral site and the host cities put tons of effort into making it a good experience for all fans. The Rose Parade was a big part of the experience and my wife and kids loved it.

I doubt that going to State College in the middle of December will be very fun (as opposed to Atlanta, Pasadena, Phoenix) and I'm guessing that the folks there won't spend a whole lot of time creating the events and pageantry that traditional bowls do (especially since they'll have only a couple weeks notice that they're even hosting).

If you're strictly a football fan like me, of course the game itself will make it worthwhile. But the draw of big bowls goes beyond the game itself. That's what will be lost.
I think the draw of the big Bowls is going to go away pretty quickly. I think Bowls will become totally irrelevant with this new playoff. They almost already are.

Our Rose Bowl predated the CFP of course. It was a completely different deal back then than it is now. I know the parade and all, but still.....

Toad Jones

A few years ago, the media was crying, asking who is your true champion. You need a championship game to determine that. Then quietly saying, it's a money thing, you know. Reluctantly the Big 12 said , oh all right a game to determine the .......? Determine what? If two teams are tied, sure it works, but an 11 team playing a 10 team..?

froginmn

I think the draw of the big Bowls is going to go away pretty quickly. I think Bowls will become totally irrelevant with this new playoff. They almost already are.

Our Rose Bowl predated the CFP of course. It was a completely different deal back then than it is now. I know the parade and all, but still.....
Respectfully disagree. Nothing has changed for the Rose other than it's a playoff every three years, and it will be every year going forward. But they appear to be pushing to keep it as a quarterfinal so it stays on January 1.

They'll still run the parade and do the several months of planning necessary to pull off the televised parade and associated events.

It will be interesting to me to see how they manage tickets to first round games. What percentage of tickets will go to visiting fans versus home, and when will unused visitor tickets be released? Not sure how many TCU fans, for instance, will want to go to Madison WI in the middle of December.

We made our Fiesta plans to go without the kids because of school (Fiesta was Jan 5? and school was back in session). We all went to the Rose because it was during a school break. These things matter when you're talking about families taking trips like this. It's unclear if the first round will be on weekends or not; this year the first round week Saturday would be Christmas Eve.

Lots of interesting things to figure out.

Wexahu

Respectfully disagree. Nothing has changed for the Rose other than it's a playoff every three years, and it will be every year going forward. But they appear to be pushing to keep it as a quarterfinal so it stays on January 1.

They'll still run the parade and do the several months of planning necessary to pull off the televised parade and associated events.

It will be interesting to me to see how they manage tickets to first round games. What percentage of tickets will go to visiting fans versus home, and when will unused visitor tickets be released? Not sure how many TCU fans, for instance, will want to go to Madison WI in the middle of December.

We made our Fiesta plans to go without the kids because of school (Fiesta was Jan 5? and school was back in session). We all went to the Rose because it was during a school break. These things matter when you're talking about families taking trips like this. It's unclear if the first round will be on weekends or not; this year the first round week Saturday would be Christmas Eve.

Lots of interesting things to figure out.
Imagine doing everything you did for the Rose Bowl and then turning around and doing a similar trip to another part of the country a week later, after a win. Now, imagine doing that three times in mid-late December and the first couple weeks of January, bookending Christmas, in the event your team wins two games in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how this is gonna work. Now that they've expanded the playoffs to 12 freaking teams, the traditional Bowl commitments need to go and they need to start playing these games on college campuses. Too much travel required.

froginmn

Imagine doing everything you did for the Rose Bowl and then turning around and doing a similar trip to another part of the country a week later, after a win. Now, imagine doing that three times in mid-late December and the first couple weeks of January, bookending Christmas, in the event your team wins two games in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how this is gonna work. Now that they've expanded the playoffs to 12 freaking teams, the traditional Bowl commitments need to go and they need to start playing these games on college campuses. Too much travel required.
Yup. I think people will need to pick and choose which travel they want to do. If it happens, I'm taking my kids to Fiesta (or Peach). Because of an already planned and paid-for ski trip in conflict, we won't be able to go to LA if they get there. And even if we didn't have the conflict I'm not sure that my wife would approve of both trips. And we're at a time in our life where we could afford it; I'm sure many cannot.

That's to my point about the first round; I think visiting teams fans will pass in the hope that they get to the quarters and a big bowl atmosphere. So being # 9-12 will suck. You had a hell of a good season but the reward isn't there (and I get that they're "in the playoff" but only hard core football fans will appreciate that). I'm in the minority having attended 9 games in three states so far...

Wexahu

Yup. I think people will need to pick and choose which travel they want to do. If it happens, I'm taking my kids to Fiesta (or Peach). Because of an already planned and paid-for ski trip in conflict, we won't be able to go to LA if they get there. And even if we didn't have the conflict I'm not sure that my wife would approve of both trips. And we're at a time in our life where we could afford it; I'm sure many cannot.

That's to my point about the first round; I think visiting teams fans will pass in the hope that they get to the quarters and a big bowl atmosphere. So being # 9-12 will suck. You had a hell of a good season but the reward isn't there (and I get that they're "in the playoff" but only hard core football fans will appreciate that). I'm in the minority having attended 9 games in three states so far...
As it stands now #9-12 are Clemson, K-State, Utah and Washington.

People will disagree I'm sure, but when I look at those resumes, I don't see any teams deserving to be in a playoff. What has Clemson done? The better programs only play about 5-6 losable games each year (and some teams really only pay 2-3), we're getting to the point where you'll just have to go .500 in the competitive games to get a bid. Heck, Penn State is #8 and all I've heard on here is how average they are and how they haven't beaten anyone any good. And they are #8!

And this isn't going to water down the regular season?