• The KillerFrogs

2023 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Speaking of Texas Football Magazine, I wonder who they will come up with to keep the Frogs off the cover next year? Most likely something UT or Baylor related.

thought a consensus had been reached that joey mcguire was going to be a permanent fixture on the cover as he is the embodiment of texas coaching excellence

his silhouette on dctf will be the equal to jerry west as the nba logo

Putt4Purple

I’ve seen him play. Not worth the effort. He’s decent but Sonny has two good QB’s in the wing plus more talented recruits and other transfers coming our way. Just my 2 cents worth.

froginaustin

I’ve seen him play. Not worth the effort. He’s decent but Sonny has two good QB’s in the wing plus more talented recruits and other transfers coming our way. Just my 2 cents worth.

I sort-of agree-- sort-of because I don't count myself among those that can evaluate quarterback talent beyond the obvious.

Hudson's skill set, while very impressive for a high school player, was exaggerated during his high school career because he played in an elite (and hyped) high school program. I am sure Sark is a better QB evaluator than I am, and Sark sat Hudson for Quinn Ewers. Ewers doesn't look all that good.

If the TCU staff offers Hudson, I'll certainly at least withhold judgment (for what my limited judgment is worth).

HornyWartyToad

I bet you saw Buechele play at UT, too. Did you think when he was getting hammered there for being an overhyped bum that he would leave and get coached up(by Sonny & crew) and be NFL? All I'm saying is the kid clearly has some talent, and might upgrade his game with the right coaching. QB more than any position on the roster seems to me like a numbers game, where you never know for sure which if any will rise up and be good to great. Max is probably Exhibit A for that concept.
If Max leaves after this year, you've got Morris, who has flashed but we really have no idea what he is over a full season if he can play one without getting hurt, and Jackson, who is really raw and we have no idea if he can QB at this level, at all. I personally think it would be unwise to pass on a guy like Card to go into next year with those two and a mystery bag at QB.
Edit: "other transfers?" I have to admit I haven't kept up but do we have other transfer QBs on the way?

Putt4Purple

I bet you saw Buechele play at UT, too. Did you think when he was getting hammered there for being an overhyped bum that he would leave and get coached up(by Sonny & crew) and be NFL? All I'm saying is the kid clearly has some talent, and might upgrade his game with the right coaching. QB more than any position on the roster seems to me like a numbers game, where you never know for sure which if any will rise up and be good to great. Max is probably Exhibit A for that concept.
If Max leaves after this year, you've got Morris, who has flashed but we really have no idea what he is over a full season if he can play one without getting hurt, and Jackson, who is really raw and we have no idea if he can QB at this level, at all. I personally think it would be unwise to pass on a guy like Card to go into next year with those two and a mystery bag at QB.
Edit: "other transfers?" I have to admit I haven't kept up but do we have other transfer QBs on the way?
If your a H. Card fan great! He will find a home and somewhere to play next year, just not at TCU. Does that make your feel better? Jeez.

McFroggin

I’ve given up grading QB’s early on. TB12 was absolute trash early on and then beast mode. Max was average under GP and was 2nd string to start the season - now Heisman candidate.

Kyler Murray wasn’t great at A&M and OU hit the unlock button.

Whatever SD decides at QB, I’m good with right now.

HornyWartyToad

If your a H. Card fan great! He will find a home and somewhere to play next year, just not at TCU. Does that make your feel better? Jeez.
Sorry, just thought there might be slightly more insight behind, "I've seen him play." Glad to know we are all set at QB for the next several years. What a relief.

Froggy Style

I’ve given up grading QB’s early on. TB12 was absolute trash early on and then beast mode. Max was average under GP and was 2nd string to start the season - now Heisman candidate.

A good approach. Otherwise, you can get in a UT rut of playing freshmen over and over because you give up on them in the middle of sophomore year.

Toad Jones

post script: IF QJ, Miller, Avila etc., leave then he goes. QJ most certainly goes pro, I don't know about Miller. This team is a group of veterans, which most likely the reason for our success. However, in the wings are a stable of young studs which might propel us near the top of the conference again. But it's a dilemma for him, and a good one to have. Did you notice the long hug it recv'd from his father while still on the field? I CAN ONLY image how so very proud he is of his son!!

It's not worth much, but I see Max as a coach one-day, following in the steps of his dad. I think he would be a great coach.
Added post script: Did you notice he would not address the question when you go pro? He quickly said 'I don't know yet, I'll address at a later date' You know there are people out there who understand the moment and not the money. Max in some people's world is weird, not going for the money. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but his integrity appears to be on a higher plane.

Presently, I do sooo wish he would win the Heisman, he has the "ordinal qualifications" of the Heisman in spades and if anyone deserves it based on those "original qualification" ....he does!! You know this, but if he went to Alabama, Okla, Ohio State, he would be the front-runner in the race. BTW..if you didn't, see or hear, Tim Brando went out of his way to promote Max winning the Heisman. So did Smoake, Gus Johnson, and I'm sure many others who have witnessed Max perform. (those announcers who have the balls to speak out against the extreme blue bloods) BTW the way, those three above all have Heisman votes. Tim said if he (Max) did not get a fair shake, he would turn his vote back to the committee. That is strong conviction. I have said a few times, Tim has always spoken up for TCU!! Tim is a great guy and not pretenses, very approachable. Lives a quite ordinary life in Shreveport. He works mostly in the B10 doing BB and football. I want you to get to know the good ones, and I'm telling you he is a stand-up guy!

HornyWartyToad

If u can complete a forward pass you should start at UT. We don’t need to take out Texas’s trash.
Some of "Texas's trash," (QBs who didn't win the job at UT)from the last decade or so:

Garrett Gilbert - NE Patriots QB(current)
Jevan Snead - Tampa Bay Bucs QB (former)
Shane Buechele - KC Chiefs QB(current)
Cam Rising - Utah Utes QB(current) and last year's 1st-team All-Pac 12 QB

I wouldn't hate having such "trash" littering our roster.

fanatical frog

Added post script: Did you notice he would not address the question when you go pro? He quickly said 'I don't know yet, I'll address at a later date' You know there are people out there who understand the moment and not the money. Max in some people's world is weird, not going for the money. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but his integrity appears to be on a higher plane.

Max is, without question, intelligent and articulate as well as wise beyond his years. Shouldn't be a total shock to learn he has career goals that do not include pro football.

Toad Jones

"OU hit the unlock button on Murray. ""Coach Lincoln Riley""
Max Duggan, QB, TCU hit the unlock button. ""QB Coach Garret Riley""
Do you think the Riley's have found the BUTTON?

One thing for SURE...TCU BETTER OPEN UP THE BANK ON RILEY, MEACHAM, Ra' SHAAD SAMPLES, UZO and for SURE!!!! ....KAZ!!. And WHILE THE BANK IS OPEN, BETTER OPEN TWO BANKS FOR JOE GILLESPIE! He'll be prime very soon!. Then there's A.J., BUCKLES, PAUL GONZALES,TONY JONES, jR., KEELLEY, MCFARLAND, AND Mark Tommerdahl. THIS IS THE BEST STAFF tcu HAS ever, ever HAD IN THE 50 YEARS.
One thing, probably the most important unsung HERO of the bunch........KAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RufeBruton

"OU hit the unlock button on Murray. ""Coach Lincoln Riley""
Max Duggan, QB, TCU hit the unlock button. ""QB Coach Garret Riley""
Do you think the Riley's have found the BUTTON?

One thing for SURE...TCU BETTER OPEN UP THE BANK ON RILEY, MEACHAM, Ra' SHAAD SAMPLES, UZO and for SURE!!!! ....KAZ!!. And WHILE THE BANK IS OPEN, BETTER OPEN TWO BANKS FOR JOE GILLESPIE! He'll be prime very soon!. Then there's A.J., BUCKLES, PAUL GONZALES,TONY JONES, jR., KEELLEY, MCFARLAND, AND Mark Tommerdahl. THIS IS THE BEST STAFF tcu HAS ever, ever HAD IN THE 50 YEARS.
One thing, probably the most important unsung HERO of the bunch........KAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was there a sale on “!” at Costco?

Eight

Some of "Texas's trash," (QBs who didn't win the job at UT)from the last decade or so:

Garrett Gilbert - NE Patriots QB(current)
Jevan Snead - Tampa Bay Bucs QB (former)
Shane Buechele - KC Chiefs QB(current)
Cam Rising - Utah Utes QB(current) and last year's 1st-team All-Pac 12 QB

I wouldn't hate having such "trash" littering our roster.

listing snead in that group is not quite the same situation as the others

I sort-of agree-- sort-of because I don't count myself among those that can evaluate quarterback talent beyond the obvious.

Hudson's skill set, while very impressive for a high school player, was exaggerated during his high school career because he played in an elite (and hyped) high school program. I am sure Sark is a better QB evaluator than I am, and Sark sat Hudson for Quinn Ewers. Ewers doesn't look all that good.

If the TCU staff offers Hudson, I'll certainly at least withhold judgment (for what my limited judgment is worth).
Quinn Ewers was the #1 recruit in the country in 2021, a perfect 5-star, which suggests that he is very talented and maybe they are choosing to develop him. Though it would be unscrupulous, maybe they committed to Ewers knowing Card would not get a fair shot.

On paper—
Hudson Card was a high four-star recruit in 2020—the #2 dual-threat QB in the country. Maybe a bit premature to doubt him being he has not played much—only 194 career pass attempts and in this small sample size his stats show good improvement from 2021 to 2022. His stats this year are very good—69% completions, 928 yards, 6 TD’s, 1 pick. He also has good size at 6’2” which is something TCU’s top two prospects do not have. Seems on paper that he has great upside potential with two years of eligibility remaining.

I would think TCU might welcome him, but he probably is looking for a place where he feels almost certain he can win the starting spot, and with Morris and Jackson present he might not want TCU.

98549FFA-4E44-4736-B5D7-EE110BBD46CF.jpeg
A6D03318-3913-47FC-8680-4553503E157B.jpeg

Last edited: