• The KillerFrogs

Georgia, Michigan and TCU

HFrog1999

Do you think they are trying to gaslight the TCU players? The no respect angle didn’t work so maybe they are trying to make them not think it’s a must win game. Because if we lose and play the quality loss comparison game , we’ll lose every time. I know you think they should be in regardless, but those at espn don’t give a hoot.

So we need to roll in there and mollywhop kstate or it’s over.

The weekly rankings are really stupid and they showed us in 2014 that they mean absolutely nothing. They just want another tv show on espn for people to watch.

The only people the CFP answer to are the sponsors.

This isn’t a playoff, it’s an invitational tournament seeded by a committee who can pick whom ever they want.

They are not going to commit to inviting TCU with a loss, because another team that could bring higher ratings and sell more tickets might be available.

Nick Danger

Here's an ESPN take on what would happen to TCU if they lose Saturday!

What happens if No. 3 TCU loses?​

The biggest question looming is what happens if TCU loses? It would depend in part on how the Big 12 championship unfolds -- if K-State were to win convincingly with the committee watching together, it makes it harder for them to keep the Frogs in the top four and brings Ohio State back into the conversation. TCU is currently No. 1 in ESPN's strength of record metric, though, and it would have regular-season wins against K-State and No. 20 Texas. Those would be measured against Ohio State's wins against No. 8 Penn State and No. 21 Notre Dame. If TCU loses a close game, and USC wins, it's possible USC moves up to No. 3, and TCU drops to No. 4. TCU's chances of staying in the top four increase if USC also loses, though, simply by default. That particular scenario would open the door for Alabama to also be considered. And yet ...

HFrog1999

Here's an ESPN take on what would happen to TCU if they lose Saturday!

Nick Saban GIF by SB Nation

Ron Swanson

Unless we lose badly there is no question we are in. Not sure why you’re in such denial.
I’ll give the committee the benefit of the doubt more than most on this board, but they dropped an undefeated conference championship game loser in favor of a 1-loss non-championship game participant in 2017

Wisconsin dropped in favor of Alabama, who had just lost by double digits to their rival Auburn the last week of the regular season. Basically the exact same scenario as this.

The only exception is that Wisconsin’s resume wasn’t as strong as ours.

I still think we might be in either way, but I’m not confident.

TCUdirtbag

The weekly rankings are really stupid and they showed us in 2014 that they mean absolutely nothing. They just want another tv show on espn for people to watch.

The only people the CFP answer to are the sponsors.

This isn’t a playoff, it’s an invitational tournament seeded by a committee who can pick whom ever they want.

They are not going to commit to inviting TCU with a loss, because another team that could bring higher ratings and sell more tickets might be available.
The show is indeed quite dumb. But I disagree the rankings themselves “mean absolutely nothing”. In our 8 year population/sample size, the penultimate rankings are actually quite instructive as no team outside the then-ranked top 6 has ever made it in. As a result, we know who the contenders are.

You’re quite wrong about “the only people the CFP answer to are the sponsors.” I mean, that’s just evidently not true given we could actually get an early-expansion decision today from the CFP Management Committee. The CFP is a company with a two-tiered governance structure. The Management Committee—which does all the work and advises the Board on how to vote—is made up of the 10 FBS conference commissioners + ND AD. So Yormark is on that committee. The Board (ultimate authority) is made up of 11 presidents/chancellors: one appointed by each conference + the ND President. The Big 12’s appointed director is Gordon Gee. So the CFP ultimately answers to the conferences and their universities which have created, operate, and empowered the CFP. Do the media and sponsor partners have sway? To the extent the universities and conferences have allowed them to.

I will agree that it’s an invitational and not a playoff, though I’m probably (though only marginally) less cynical about the selection criteria.

I’ll give the committee the benefit of the doubt more than most on this board, but they dropped an undefeated conference championship game loser in favor of a 1-loss non-championship game participant in 2017

Wisconsin dropped in favor of Alabama, who had just lost by double digits to their rival Auburn the last week of the regular season. Basically the exact same scenario as this.

Then root for Utah to beat 1-loss USC on Friday night. Ohio State is the only 1-loss team that can move up into the final four, and they would then take USC’s spot. Alabama has two losses, its best wins are versus #24 Mississippi State and their win over #20 Texas which was not as impressive as TCU’s Texas win. Alabama will not move up.

Ron Swanson

Then root for Utah to beat 1-loss USC on Friday night. Ohio state is the only 1-loss team that can move up into the final four, and they would then take USC’s spot. Alabama has two losses, it’s best wins are versus #24 Mississippi State and their win over #20 Texas which was not as impressive as TCU’s Texas win. Alabama will not move up.
Of course

Purp

2014 Oregon was 8-1 in conference play
The last P10 /12 team to run the conference table was 2010 Oregon, who would end up losing by a FG to Auburn in the MNC
I still remember that game because the game winning fg was only possible and set up by a weird "was he down or not" play.
That was the year we should have played sCam for the national title. We'd have won that game.

Pharm Frog

This isn’t 2009, 2010 or 2014. It is 2022 and the Frogs are 12-0, playing for a conference championship and close to making the playoffs and playing for the national championship. What a ride!
Already won the conference championship outright and undefeated in round robin play. This +1 thing is as dumb as it gets and everyone knew it from the moment they put it in play. But the $$$$. If you want this stupid 13th data point still think every Big 12 team should be playing this weekend. #10 at #1; #9 at #2 and so on…play them out in championship weekend and rank based on that. Tie breakers other than head to head would most likely only come into play at 4th, 5th, 6th and possibly 7th place. AND….more teams with an additional opportunity to get bowl eligible.

Thursday Night: #6 at #5
Friday Night: #7 at #4
Saturday 11a: #8 at #3
Saturday 3p: #9 at #2
Saturday 6:30p: #10 at #1

yes….we’d get to play Iowa State again in back to back weeks but stuff like that can just as easily happen with the current #1 v #2 set up…which is dumb dumb dumb and proves nothing. And this makes everything even more ”meaningful” in the regular season as now you’d be fighting for seeding and respective opponent matchups.

But whatever….

LVH

I always opposed the Big 12 title game. No point when every team plays each other. I used this exact same scenario when adding a Big 12 title game was in the works. I said we will have a year where a team goes undefeated in Big 12 play and wins the league by multiple games and is forced into a meaningless title game.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Already won the conference championship outright and undefeated in round robin play. This +1 thing is as dumb as it gets and everyone knew it from the moment they put it in play. But the $$$$.

I have advocated taking the five P5 conference champs (the conferences can crown their champs however they want but with large conferences and two divisions a championship game would be needed--this year's Big 12 would not) and take the next three highest ranked at-large teams and play that off.

Already won the conference championship outright and undefeated in round robin play. This +1 thing is as dumb as it gets and everyone knew it from the moment they put it in play. But the $$$$. If you want this stupid 13th data point still think every Big 12 team should be playing this weekend. #10 at #1; #9 at #2 and so on…play them out in championship weekend and rank based on that. Tie breakers other than head to head would most likely only come into play at 4th, 5th, 6th and possibly 7th place. AND….more teams with an additional opportunity to get bowl eligible.

Thursday Night: #6 at #5
Friday Night: #7 at #4
Saturday 11a: #8 at #3
Saturday 3p: #9 at #2
Saturday 6:30p: #10 at #1

yes….we’d get to play Iowa State again in back to back weeks but stuff like that can just as easily happen with the current #1 v #2 set up…which is dumb dumb dumb and proves nothing. And this makes everything even more ”meaningful” in the regular season as now you’d be fighting for seeding and respective opponent matchups.

But whatever….
I would have preferred the Big XII simply adding another good non-conference opponent on the front end of every team’s schedule for that extra data point game instead of a CCG.

Secondly, the Big Eleven—I really dislike unbalanced divison schedules and would prefer the Champion be a result of only the traditional round-robin regular season schedule—no CCG needed. With that in mind, the conference could have expanded to 11 instead of 12 and then played 10 conference games with 3 non-conference games for that extra data point game. I even like the Big Eleven name.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Fair point, I remember that now.

Doing a little deeper dive, Wisconsin was 12-0 like we are but did not play Ohio State, Michigan State or Penn State to get to that 12-0, and those were the three highest ranked Big 10 teams. They had one win over a ranked team (#21 Northwestern, at home). I guess it'd be like us sitting here at 12-0 but having not played Texas or Kansas State yet. It'd be an ENTIRELY different situation. We would absolutely have to win Saturday in that case, and rightfully so. Wiscy's schedule that year was about as weak a schedule as a P5 team could possibly have.

Doing a little deeper dive, Wisconsin was 12-0 like we are but did not play Ohio State, Michigan State or Penn State to get to that 12-0, and those were the three highest ranked Big 10 teams. They had one win over a ranked team (#21 Northwestern, at home). I guess it'd be like us sitting here at 12-0 but having not played Texas or Kansas State yet. It'd be an ENTIRELY different situation. We would absolutely have to win Saturday in that case, and rightfully so. Wiscy's schedule that year was about as weak a schedule as a P5 team could possibly have.
And that is an example of why I stated what I did in the post above yours here—the Big Eleven—I really dislike unbalanced schedules. That Wisconsin one was not enticing and penalized them in the end. This year, Houston didn’t play Cincinnati or UCF—not a fan favorite schedule—yawn. And then you spend way too time comparing your schedule to the other conference team’s different schedule—who got the raw deal—divisions are divisive.

Last edited:

Planks

Yeah I don’t see 2017 Wisconsin as a comparable comparison to 2022 TCU.

After the Big 10 championship game that year, Ohio State had the same conference record and the head to head victory over Wisconsin. Ohio State was indisputably the best team from that conference that year.

That won’t be the case this year, even if Kansas State beats TCU this weekend, we will be tied head to head and TCU will still have the better record. I don’t think Kansas State will be seen as the best team from our conference, unless it’s a serious beat down.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Yeah I don’t see 2017 Wisconsin as a comparable comparison to 2022 TCU.

After the Big 10 championship game that year, Ohio State had the same conference record and the head to head victory over Wisconsin. Ohio State was indisputably the best team from that conference that year.

That won’t be the case this year, even if Kansas State beats TCU, I don’t think Kansas State will be seen as the best team from our conference, unless it’s a serious beat down.
But they were passed by Alabama too, that was the point Swanson made. Alabama was an 11-1 team that didn't play in their CCG. My point still stands. Two entirely different situations. Wisconsin was a sitting duck based on their embarrassingly weak schedule.