• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

JogginFrog

I barely watch, and I assume the U.S. players are more skilled than a decade ago given their appearance on Euro club rosters. But what stood out today was how much faster they seem than past U.S. teams. Couldn't believe how many loose balls they beat the Iranian players to today.

Really needed that 2nd one from Timmy. Offsides by a fingernail. Ugh.

Soccer needs to adopt the toe drag that hockey does on offsides. The rule restricts skill and athleticism. He broke his stride to try to stay on side then got back in stride, beat a defender and then went in to score. For a novice like me, that's the kind of play that gets me excited and would make me more likely to watch in the future. A very impressive display of athletic prowess was denied.

Moose Stuff

Gotta give Berhalter credit. He's resisted using Long and Roldan. He has underutilized Gio and even allowing Jordan Morris to put on shinguards was a mistake, but he's pulled most of the perfect strings so far. Gotta use Scally, though, next time he thinks Dest needs a blow. Shaq Moore is a liability in this tournament.
Shaq is awful.

Putt4Purple

No [ Finebaum ], Sherlock.

Ok, Boomer. Take your Metamucil today?
LTWEAAA. Try and figure that one out. It amazes me how some people expect other human beings to understand and decipher all acronyms written. For some of us who actually had to write English in our profession and not use acronyms it is something to be proud of. Now it is scoffed at. Please feel free to use the Enigma code for assistance. Let me know when you give up. I might let you know what it stands for.

Purp

Soccer needs to adopt the toe drag that hockey does on offsides. The rule restricts skill and athleticism. He broke his stride to try to stay on side then got back in stride, beat a defender and then went in to score. For a novice like me, that's the kind of play that gets me excited and would make me more likely to watch in the future. A very impressive display of athletic prowess was denied.
I didn't see the high speed image of the offsides call until I rewatched last night. I believe that should be onside. 90% or more of the players were even and most of my life even has been onside. Only recently has a leg hair beyond the last defender's middle finger nail constituted offsides. It's ridiculous and nauseating. FIFA laws for offsides need to catch up with the technology.

And people wanting high tech systems like this calling balls and strikes in baseball should reconsider based on some of the touchy calls we've seen here.

LTWEAAA. Try and figure that one out. It amazes me how some people expect other human beings to understand and decipher all acronyms written. For some of us who actually had to write English in our profession and not use acronyms it is something to be proud of. Now it is scoffed at. Please feel free to use the Enigma code for assistance. Let me know when you give up. I might let you know what it stands for.

Don't you have some clouds to yell at?

I didn't see the high speed image of the offsides call until I rewatched last night. I believe that should be onside. 90% or more of the players were even and most of my life even has been onside. Only recently has a leg hair beyond the last defender's middle finger nail constituted offsides. It's ridiculous and nauseating. FIFA laws for offsides need to catch up with the technology.

And people wanting high tech systems like this calling balls and strikes in baseball should reconsider based on some of the touchy calls we've seen here.

This is what I was trying to explain to a guy I was watching the game with yesterday who knows a ton more about soccer than me. It's ridiculous to be that touchy about something and only have one linesman per side on a field that's almost 25 yards wider than a football field. In hockey, the ice is 85 feet wide and the linesman are much closer to the play. Some of these offsides calls are like calling balls and strikes from 50 yards away. It's absurd.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No [ Finebaum ], Sherlock.

Ok, Boomer. Take your Metamucil today?
They day will come when some kid is calling you out for being an old fart sooner than you think. The whole boomer insult is so trite. Means about as much as some third grader making fun of you when you when you were 15.
Eddie Murphy Whatever GIF by Coming to America

JogginFrog

Australia getting into knockouts is a great story, but I liked the tenacity that Tunisia showed to score against France's second team, and they were very nearly rewarded with a Denmark equalizer that would have put them through.

JogginFrog

Argentina needs to chill the scheiss out. Currently, at this goal differential, Poland will still go through and Mexico won’t.
But Mexico is chasing hard for a third goal to draw even with Poland. These are the really entertaining matches, when both sides need to score.

Edit: Argentina score to bring Mexico level with Poland on points and goal differential. But the tie-breaker appears to be "fair play" record and Mexico has 10 yellow cards to Poland's 4. More work to do for El Tri. Always drama for them.

Last edited: