• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC should be in no matter what

finafrog

This is kind of a myth. They say "best", but it's really the most "deserving", or whatever you want to call it. I think we all know what that means. The best teams don't always win every game, and winning has to take precedent.
Correct. FSU was not among the 4 "best" in 2014, but was undefeated and a defending champion. "Deserving."

Wexahu

ESPN Playoff "Predictor" Basically has OSU in over USC no matter what the scenario including wins by GA, MI, TCU and USC. What a scheissing joke.

It's wrong.

And I guess you'd have to ask the question. Why would ESPN really care whether USC or Ohio State make it? Both are blue bloods, both are future Big 10 schools. If anything, I think they'd want USC, to add some new flavor.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
ESPN is looking at that 17,000,000 viewers metric, and they would like another slice of that pie.

Whatever the garbage they throw out concerning the sham "Committee" or any of the other nonsense, money is the prime consideration. All other considerations are a distant second.

That was Fox who got all those viewers. It makes ESPN MORE likely to fight to get tOSU in the playoff any way possible.

AroundWorldFrog

It's wrong.

And I guess you'd have to ask the question. Why would ESPN really care whether USC or Ohio State make it? Both are blue bloods, both are future Big 10 schools. If anything, I think they'd want USC, to add some new flavor.
But that's not what their own predictor shows. And it's mostly based on their FPI rankings. Which are idiotic.
1669667640689.png

Wexahu

But that's not what their own predictor shows. And it's mostly based on their FPI rankings. Which are idiotic.
View attachment 12850
I don't disagree.

All I'm saying is USC is a huge blue blood with tons of history (and a future Big 10 school) and a soon to be Heisman Trophy winning QB. Why would ESPN be trying to artificially minimize their chances?

I don't think they are doing that BTW, I don't think stuff like this really matters.

HFrog1999

Nobody “controls their own destiny”. The committee will choose whom ever they want.

TCU will most likely be in if they win out, only because the committee wants to maintain the appearance of credibility. However, ratings and attendance are what really matters, just like the previous bowl systems.

This isn’t and will never be a real playoff.

Wexahu

Nobody “controls their own destiny”. The committee will choose whom ever they want.

TCU will most likely be in if they win out, only because the committee wants to maintain the appearance of credibility. However, ratings and attendance are what really matters, just like the previous bowl systems.

This isn’t and will never be a real playoff.
We control our own destiny. If we win we are in. How is that not controlling our own destiny?

dawg

ESPN Playoff "Predictor" Basically has OSU in over USC no matter what the scenario including wins by GA, MI, TCU and USC. What a scheissing joke.

So, according to this, if Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and USC all win on Saturday...

Ohio State has a 51% to get picked by espn, uh, I mean, uh, the committee vs USC's 42%?

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

AroundWorldFrog

I don't disagree.

All I'm saying is USC is a huge blue blood with tons of history (and a future Big 10 school) and a soon to be Heisman Trophy winning QB. Why would ESPN be trying to artificially minimize their chances?

I don't think they are doing that BTW, I don't think stuff like this really matters.
Their FPI is doing that. Just like it minimizes TCU. It's giving USC something like a 39% chance to beat Utah and us a 54% chance to beat KSU.

Read this if you want to be amused. Recruiting ranking and coaching tenure are factors which is why both USC and TCU get crapped on in their rankings and Texas is 6th. And unfortunately, people read that crap and take it for gospel. i.e. Tennessee fans.

Their FPI is doing that. Just like it minimizes TCU. It's giving USC something like a 39% chance to beat Utah and us a 54% chance to beat KSU.

Read this if you want to be amused. Recruiting ranking and coaching tenure are factors which is why both USC and TCU get crapped on in their rankings and Texas is 6th. And unfortunately, people read that crap and take it for gospel. i.e. Tennessee fans.

FPI is basically a "predictor" type ranking that doesn't care about W/L outcomes as much as who is "better". Vegas/ predictor style rankings do not like either TCU nor USC, although FPI definitely responded to the drubbing of ISU (we went up 5 spots). The reality is if we faced Ohio State, Vegas would probably make the Buckeyes 7 point favorites or so. All of our close wins are great for "what have you accomplished" rankings, but don't impress the predictor type rankings as much. Those will look at games where we were down at half or late game and conclude that we are a little lucky. Same with USC and their close games. In 2014 predictor type rankings loved us, FWIW.

An-Cap Frog

Coaching tenure is used? We're screwed...