• The KillerFrogs

TCU-KSU Home Field Advantage

LisaLT

Disappointing if that’s the case, considering the fact that we are closer and have known about the game for multiple weeks longer. Plus with K State already playing once in DFW this season, I was hoping some K State fans would be saving their money for a almost certain trip to the Sugar Bowl, win or lose.
KSU is in the unique position to know what bowl game they get before the game is even played.

tmcats

We're ruminating on going or not. It's up to my son whether we jump in the Aviator Friday morning.

K-State put out notice that their student allotment is sold out. So, I expect a good EMAW contingent. These championship games come about every ten years for developmental programs like State, so it's hard to pass on being there with the boys.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
We're ruminating on going or not. It's up to my son whether we jump in the Aviator Friday morning.

K-State put out notice that their student allotment is sold out. So, I expect a good EMAW contingent. These championship games come about every ten years for developmental programs like State, so it's hard to pass on being there with the boys.
Enjoy that $20 Jerry-bier

Frog-O-Rama

The original question was, Does TCU have a home field advantage is Saturday’s BigXII Championship game?
No…AT&T stadium is not the Carter. Neutral site games offer no home field advantage IMHO.

GO FROGS!
BEAT KSU…AGAIN!!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!
Does that mean you think Georgia would not have a home field advantage in Atlanta?

tjcoffice

All due respect to the 1938 TCU team, but games from that long ago just aren’t that meaningful. Bring up those 30’s national championships to anyone who isn’t a TCU fan and they will roll their eyes.

The Rose Bowl win was so much more impactful for TCU than that those 30’s national championships.

Take away those 30’s national championships and I’m not sure TCU is any better or worse off today. Take away that Rose Bowl win, and right now we are probably battling it out with SMU for middle of the pack standing in the AAC.

I would happily trade the BOTH of our 30’s national championships just for a win this this weekend over Kansas State. Yes, I just said that. Just making the playoff in 2022 is far more beneficial than those 30’s national championships.
Yea, i would have said the same thing in 1975 or so. Then I went to TCU, worked in the library, stumbled on all these old TCU yearbooks and found out what TCU glory looked like. Its not about football prowess. Its about a small school running with the big boys. About a short quarterback who did not know what "quit" meant - about what some cowboy from out west showed to the smarter, better educated, better "mannered" Eastern folks and folks at the big schools could do. TCU's competitors in 1938 included bigger schools like Oklahoma and A&M. That lesson is as relevant today as it was in 1938.

Watch the video. Its surprising to me how sophisticated TCU's offense was in 1938. Dutch was not just a grouchy, tough-talking coach. He knew his x's and o's.

Last edited:

HFrog1999

Yea, i would have said the same thing in 1975 or so. Then I went to TCU, worked in the library, stumbled on all these old TCU yearbooks and found out what TCU glory looked like. Its not about football prowess. Its about a small school running with the big boys. About a short quarterback who did not know what "quit" meant - about what some cowboy from out west showed to the smarter, better educated, better "mannered" Eastern folks and folks at the big schools could do. TCU's competitors in 1938 included bigger schools like Oklahoma and A&M. That lesson is as relevant today as it was in 1938.

Watch the video. Its surprising to me how sophisticated TCU's offense was in 1938. Dutch was not just a grouchy, tough-talking coach. He knew his x's and o's.

Sammy Baugh took what he learned from Dutch to the NFL and won the championship twice.

I don’t think people who aren’t impressed with TCU’s contributions to college and NFL football during the 30’s through 50’s are really educated fans of the game.

froginaustin

Expecting a 50/50 crowd.
Disappointing if that’s the case, considering the fact that we are closer and have known about the game for multiple weeks longer. Plus with K State already playing once in DFW this season, I was hoping some K State fans would be saving their money for a almost certain trip to the Sugar Bowl, win or lose.

K-State has a somewhat larger stadium that it pretty much fills despite being in the middle of nowhere. And a lot of alums in the D/FW area. Wouldn’t surprise me if they had more fans even with a good TCU turnout.

No doubt there will be enough on both sides to be noticed.

Zubaz

Sammy Baugh took what he learned from Dutch to the NFL and won the championship twice.

I don’t think people who aren’t impressed with TCU’s contributions to college and NFL football during the 30’s through 50’s are really educated fans of the game.
At least for me, It's not so much "not impressed" as it is recognizing that the game has changed so so so much, from the talent level to the rules, that trying to compare it to today doesn't really make a ton of sense. Same reason that Aaron Judges 62 is way more impressive than Babe's 60, and I would argue that baseball hasn't changed nearly as much as football has.

Last edited:

Deep Purple

With respect it absolutely is. Win and there is zero doubt we get to the playoff (though we may be in regardless).
Too much hyperbole. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least four games that were as big or bigger than this upcoming one.

1. In 1935 both TCU and SMU were sitting at 10-0, both vying to cement a #1 ranking as they faced off in the last game of the regular season, billed as "The Game of the Century." There was no playoff or championship game then. Mythical national champion titles were conferred willy-nilly by a hoard of mathematical ranking systems, sportswriters, and athletic foundations. SMU beat TCU by a field goal and went on to the Rose Bowl to face Stanford, while TCU went to the Sugar Bowl against Tulane.

Following the SMU win over TCU in the final regular-season game, the bulk of the rankings morass proclaimed SMU #1. A few named Minnesota or Princeton #1, but they were voices in the wilderness. However, there was a fly in the ointment. These rankings covered only the regular season without taking in account any bowl results. After these rankings were issued, SMU lost the Rose Bowl while TCU won the Sugar Bowl. Following the bowls, the only post-bowl ranking -- Williamson -- proclaimed TCU national champions and named LSU as #2. The Sugar Bowl win cemented that championship.

2. In 1938, the Frogs were 9-0, vying for another national championship, and again facing SMU in the final game of the regular season. It was at Ownby Field in Dallas, and though the Ponies were not in the national champion picture that year, they were amped to spoil TCU's perfect record. The Frogs won handily, going on to defeat Carnegie Tech in the Sugar Bowl. This time there was no post-season rankings fire drill because in 1936, the NCAA had adopted the AP poll as the sole official ranking. The Frogs were their consensus choice in 1938. TCU had once again won a national championship at the Sugar Bowl.

3. TCU's 7-5 regular season in 1998 followed a 1-10 season in which the Frogs had barely avoided going winless by defeating hapless SMU in the very last game. It was a notable comeback, but was discounted by many as the product of a soft WAC schedule. Nobody (including TCU fans) thought it was an indicator that TCU was on the verge of something big. Due to WAC political rivalries over the impending 1999 departure of eight schools for the newly formed MWC, the Frogs received a totally unexpected berth in the Sun Bowl, where virtually no one gave them a prayer of defeating 8-5 USC from the PAC 10.

The Frog victory defied all expectations, serving notice that TCU was bent on returning more or less permanently to relevance in the national panorama of college football. Considering the string of successful TCU seasons that followed, the 1998 Sun Bowl was dubbed by many as the birth of the Great TCU Football Turnaround.

4. In the wake of the Turnaround, TCU reeled off a string seven double-digit winning seasons interspersed with some rebuilding years, several of which were still winning seasons. But while the Frogs became a consistent resident in the Top 25 and Top 10, their post-season bowl record was still a mediocre 6-5. They had clawed their way back from college football's wasteland, but had yet to make a place among its upper echelon. That opportunity came in 2010, when the MWC-champion Frogs finished the regular season at 12-0, were positioned at #3 in every national ranking (including the BCS), and had an appointment with destiny at the Rose Bowl against 11-1, Big 10 co-champion, #5 Wisconsin.

Once again, despite having a better W-L record and higher national ranking, the Frogs were cast as a "weak" Mountain West underdog facing an elite Big 10 powerhouse. The ramifications of the TCU win can't easily be overstated. Texas A&M and Missouri had announced they were bailing on the Big 12 for the SEC, and TCU was among 5-6 teams being casually considered as potential replacements. The Rose Bowl victory elevated TCU to the top choice, making the Frogs a virtual lock for Big 12 membership. It ended TCU's 16-year absence from the national power conferences.

Equally importantly, the Frogs' Rose Bowl win was considered by a host of national sports pundits as TCU's "arrival" among the upper echelon of college football. In subsequent seasons, TCU would again factor into the national picture in 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2017. The four-year "drought" that characterized Gay Patterson's final years tarnished that image, but didn't entirely dispel it.

And now, in 2022, here we are again.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Firstly, you're predators. You eat ruminants.

Secondly, I am curious as to what the thoughts are on the Bowl situation: Is EMAW Nation aware of the Win/Lose You Go To The Sugar Bowl calculus?

Deep Purple

All due respect to the 1938 TCU team, but games from that long ago just aren’t that meaningful.
That's all well and good, but basically as relevant as talking about Yale's 20-something national titles.
Self-contradiction. When you affirm a statement like "the biggest frog game ever," and someone brings up past games that were equally or more important, you can't write them off as "not that meangingful" or "irrelevant." Ever means EVER. You don't get to cherry-pick what eras are or aren't included in ever.

tmcats

Firstly, you're predators. You eat ruminants.

Secondly, I am curious as to what the thoughts are on the Bowl situation: Is EMAW Nation aware of the Win/Lose You Go To The Sugar Bowl calculus?
Wildcats are actually Bobcats that roam the Kansas Flint Hills. Bobcats are carnivores thus preferring an all meat diet. Their food of choice is rabbits, but they will also eat birds, lizards, rodents, snakes.

As for the Sugar Bowl, hopefully K-State gets to play Alabama, as the Cats smacked LSU last year in the Texas Bowl. They beat SEC's Missouri earlier this year and Mississippi State a couple of years ago in Starkville, before that a win over aTm in the Texas as well. Always more interesting when playing SEC teams.

Last edited:

Zubaz

Self-contradiction. When you affirm a statement like "the biggest frog game ever," and someone brings up past games that were equally or more important, you can't write them off as "not that meangingful" or "irrelevant." Ever means EVER. You don't get to cherry-pick what eras are or aren't included in ever.
It's not a contradiction, it's a disagreement. The point is that those games, while big at the time, were not as important as the games of the last 30 or so years were. Football is different. It's basically a different game. It's way, way bigger. The players are way, way better. The talent pool is wider. The list goes on and on.

So yes, ever means ever, but what happened in the 30s isn't as big as what is happening now, or what happened 10 years ago.

CountryFrog

Too much hyperbole. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least four games that were as big or bigger than this upcoming one.

1. In 1935 both TCU and SMU were sitting at 10-0, both vying to cement a #1 ranking as they faced off in the last game of the regular season, billed as "The Game of the Century." There was no playoff or championship game then. Mythical national champion titles were conferred willy-nilly by a hoard of mathematical ranking systems, sportswriters, and athletic foundations. SMU beat TCU by a field goal and went on to the Rose Bowl to face Stanford, while TCU went to the Sugar Bowl against Tulane.

Following the SMU win over TCU in the final regular-season game, the bulk of the rankings morass proclaimed SMU #1. A few named Minnesota or Princeton #1, but they were voices in the wilderness. However, there was a fly in the ointment. These rankings covered only the regular season without taking in account any bowl results. After these rankings were issued, SMU lost the Rose Bowl while TCU won the Sugar Bowl. Following the bowls, the only post-bowl ranking -- Williamson -- proclaimed TCU national champions and named LSU as #2. The Sugar Bowl win cemented that championship.

2. In 1938, the Frogs were 9-0, vying for another national championship, and again facing SMU in the final game of the regular season. It was at Ownby Field in Dallas, and though the Ponies were not in the national champion picture that year, they were amped to spoil TCU's perfect record. The Frogs won handily, going on to defeat Carnegie Tech in the Sugar Bowl. This time there was no post-season rankings fire drill because in 1936, the NCAA had adopted the AP poll as the sole official ranking. The Frogs were their consensus choice in 1938. TCU had once again won a national championship at the Sugar Bowl.

3. TCU's 7-5 regular season in 1998 followed a 1-10 season in which the Frogs had barely avoided going winless by defeating hapless SMU in the very last game. It was a notable comeback, but was discounted by many as the product of a soft WAC schedule. Nobody (including TCU fans) thought it was an indicator that TCU was on the verge of something big. Due to WAC political rivalries over the impending 1999 departure of eight schools for the newly formed MWC, the Frogs received a totally unexpected berth in the Sun Bowl, where virtually no one gave them a prayer of defeating 8-5 USC from the PAC 10.

The Frog victory defied all expectations, serving notice that TCU was bent on returning more or less permanently to relevance in the national panorama of college football. Considering the string of successful TCU seasons that followed, the 1998 Sun Bowl was dubbed by many as the birth of the Great TCU Football Turnaround.

4. In the wake of the Turnaround, TCU reeled off a string seven double-digit winning seasons interspersed with some rebuilding years, several of which were still winning seasons. But while the Frogs became a consistent resident in the Top 25 and Top 10, their post-season bowl record was still a mediocre 6-5. They had clawed their way back from college football's wasteland, but had yet to make a place among its upper echelon. That opportunity came in 2010, when the MWC-champion Frogs finished the regular season at 12-0, were positioned at #3 in every national ranking (including the BCS), and had an appointment with destiny at the Rose Bowl against 11-1, Big 10 co-champion, #5 Wisconsin.

Once again, despite having a better W-L record and higher national ranking, the Frogs were cast as a "weak" Mountain West underdog facing an elite Big 10 powerhouse. The ramifications of the TCU win can't easily be overstated. Texas A&M and Missouri had announced they were bailing on the Big 12 for the SEC, and TCU was among 5-6 teams being casually considered as potential replacements. The Rose Bowl victory elevated TCU to the top choice, making the Frogs a virtual lock for Big 12 membership. It ended TCU's 16-year absence from the national power conferences.

Equally importantly, the Frogs' Rose Bowl win was considered by a host of national sports pundits as TCU's "arrival" among the upper echelon of college football. In subsequent seasons, TCU would again factor into the national picture in 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2017. The four-year "drought" that characterized Gay Patterson's final years tarnished that image, but didn't entirely dispel it.

And now, in 2022, here we are again.
I'm really not interested in getting into a debate about the biggest game in school history but I don't know how anyone could possibly assert that the Sun Bowl was bigger than a chance to go 13-0, be Big 12 Champs, and guarantee our spot in the top 3 nationally and in the playoff. I loved the Sun Bowl. It was a lot of fun and ranks really high on the nostalgia meter. It was also of little to no national importance. The whole country will be watching us on Saturday.