• The KillerFrogs

Week 14: Conference Championship Games Thread

Eight

The Big XII should have insisted on staying with their “True Champion” round robin, then insisting that the NCAA allow them to get their extra data point/game by doing just that—adding a fourth non-conference game for all 10 teams, a good one. The argument/justification being that the Big XII round robin has no need for a winner take all game—the championship game simply penalizes the true regular season Champ(s).

the extra data point wasn't for the ncaa as the cfp is not a ncaa creation

the cfp is a byproduct of a collective of conferences and a certain network

unfortunately, unlike the nfl where the postseason guidelines are set for the benefit of the collective, that hasn't always been the case of the cfp and what gets forgotten is the big 12 conference itself did tcu no favors by not having a clear cut tie breaker in place or identifying who they believed who should be the conference representative

Wexahu

the extra data point wasn't for the ncaa as the cfp is not a ncaa creation

the cfp is a byproduct of a collective of conferences and a certain network

unfortunately, unlike the nfl where the postseason guidelines are set for the benefit of the collective, that hasn't always been the case of the cfp and what gets forgotten is the big 12 conference itself did tcu no favors by not having a clear cut tie breaker in place or identifying who they believed who should be the conference representative
It was probably Baylor that got no favors. I'm pretty sure if a clear tie breaker was in place, that tie-breaker would have been head-to-head, just like it has been in every other conference since forever.

Don't think it would have mattered though, that other team had the edge over both in every other category except "worst loss" in our case and "best win" in Baylor's case, although winning by 12 on the road against that MSU team was no fall feat and probably just as if not more impressive than Baylor's win over us.

Eight

It was probably Baylor that got no favors. I'm pretty sure if a clear tie breaker was in place, that tie-breaker would have been head-to-head, just like it has been in every other conference since forever.

Don't think it would have mattered though, that other team had the edge over both in every other category except "worst loss" in our case and "best win" in Baylor's case, although winning by 12 on the road against that MSU team was no fall feat and probably just as if not more impressive than Baylor's win over us.

not wading into that debate, merely pointing out that in 2014 the big 12 leadership did nothing to support either tcu or baylor

data point away on what may or may not have happened if they did pick a horse in that race

Frog-in-law1995

View attachment 12851Couldn’t find a good spot for this so just putting it here. A buddy sent this to me with the caption, “Are they bragging or complaining?”

Is this for real? Man, that’s as embarrassing a self-own as Tuberville’s “that’s probably not the type of team we want to play right now” quote.

Edit: just looked it up and it’s true. And it’s also true that in our 11 seasons in the big 12, Tech has finished the season above us in the conference standings one time.

I miss Roddog.

Last edited:

Endless Purple

There was a long discussion this last weekend amongst some old Froggish friends about the "good stewardship" thing, mainly pertaining to the UT to the SEC thing. My contention was that it is not a good thing long term for UT to move from being The Big Fish in one Conference to being just one of the school in the SEC. Yes, there's more money in the short term, but the long term consequences are absolutely unknown, and the University will not be in a position to dictate matters to their own benefit if things go sideways. No one seems to care about the long-term consequences, as they will be retired and gone when the bills come due. Let somebody else clean up the mess...
Not sure UT is a good example for good stewardship. They would not be included in my "most"

Endless Purple

Thanks. Do you know which option in there would show points? I don't see anything obvious; again it might just be because I don't have points but I'd think I would have some...
After logging in, on my account page, there was a section called Donations below the My Tickets Box on the bottom right below the My Tickets Box and it had a "Horned Frogs Priority Points" as a line item. I clicked that and it took me there (For better or worse as my ranking keeps dropping behind each year).

If you have an account to log in with I would expect you have some if you ever made an athletic donation or bought a season ticket. IF you do not have a log in, you would probably need to find a number for the Frog Club to call.

Endless Purple

not wading into that debate, merely pointing out that in 2014 the big 12 leadership did nothing to support either tcu or baylor
This was my issue. Just a strong statement supporting co-champions as the conference representatives and the committee could choose either one or both.

The hard push by Big 10's Alvarez was just disgusting as he pushed the lack of a clear champion when he himself has three banners hanging at Wisconsin where they lost the head-to-head to the team they tied with.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Is this for real? Man, that’s as embarrassing a self-own as Tuberville’s “that’s probably not the type of team we want to play right now” quote.

Edit: just looked it up and it’s true. And it’s also true that in our 11 seasons in the big 12, Tech has finished the season above us in the conference standings one time.

I miss Roddog.
Should I do an Elon style poll to unban Roddog?

Planks

data point away on what may or may not have happened if they did pick a horse in that race

I’m not sure what big 12 leadership could have dome that would have helped. Even if their was a tie breaker I don’t think it would have put Baylor in over Ohio State. Though I guess we will never know.