• The KillerFrogs

Army-Navy game - 10 Dec 2022

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
51LSWesZpAL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Purp

As usual... Army is absolutely dominating the uniform game. Oh, and two of the three Apollo 11 astronauts? West Pointers.

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY

Amen. Go Army! Darn Navy!

Pharm Frog

Navy's unis are aiiight, but did I miss when NASA became a part of the Naval Department?
I thought we were gonna see some tribute to astronomical navigation which I thought would be both cool and clever. Not getting the same feeling about the NASA link

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The 123rd Army-Navy Game will take place on Dec. 10, 2022, in Philadelphia. The game will be broadcast at 2 p.m. CT on CBS.

Navy's uniform. Far out!

You only need to visit any one of the academies to know these are the best of the best. Having been to all three, one visit stands out above the rest. A good friend and former Master Chief on the USS Forestall asked me to visit his son while I was in DC who was a plebe at Annapolis.

I told him no 18 year old wants some old fogies taken up his time. He assured me he did because it got out of some of the plebe hassles if we did.

We got caught up in traffic trying to get there and we’re an hour late. We got a parade salute from the marine guard who asked what our business was. After explaining he gave the military direction chopping motion, pointing to a bench saying, sir I believe the plebe in the whites that has been sitting at a brace in the sun for over an hour is your man.

Anyway, he was thrilled to give us a private tour, including to places most people don’t see. At the conclusion we offered to take him to a restaurant of his choice. He said he had orders to take us to dinner, and it was supposed to be an honor of some kind.

As it turned out my wife and I were guest at the academy dining hall. The only two civilians allowed.

He gave us the ground rules. 1. Stand behind your chair and do not speak. There will be one bell, lower your head for Grace. 2. Two bells, sit but do not move. 3. Three bells, commence fire. 5 thousand young men and women, a podium with admiral and staff and not a peep. All moved in unison. We were told that after the 3 bells no one would flinch until my wife moved to eat or drink. Big pressure. As soon as she sipped some tea the din erupted in conversation. It was a very real honor.

Boomhauer

You only need to visit any one of the academies to know these are the best of the best. Having been to all three, one visit stands out above the rest. A good friend and former Master Chief on the USS Forestall asked me to visit his son while I was in DC who was a plebe at Annapolis.

I told him no 18 year old wants some old fogies taken up his time. He assured me he did because it got out of some of the plebe hassles if we did.

We got caught up in traffic trying to get there and we’re an hour late. We got a parade salute from the marine guard who asked what our business was. After explaining he gave the military direction chopping motion, pointing to a bench saying, sir I believe the plebe in the whites that has been sitting at a brace in the sun for over an hour is your man.

Anyway, he was thrilled to give us a private tour, including to places most people don’t see. At the conclusion we offered to take him to a restaurant of his choice. He said he had orders to take us to dinner, and it was supposed to be an honor of some kind.

As it turned out my wife and I were guest at the academy dining hall. The only two civilians allowed.

He gave us the ground rules. 1. Stand behind your chair and do not speak. There will be one bell, lower your head for Grace. 2. Two bells, sit but do not move. 3. Three bells, commence fire. 5 thousand young men and women, a podium with admiral and staff and not a peep. All moved in unison. We were told that after the 3 bells no one would flinch until my wife moved to eat or drink. Big pressure. As soon as she sipped some tea the din erupted in conversation. It was a very real honor.

Incredible. What an awesome experience

ShadowFrog

Moderators

Although I have never had the honor of visiting either the Naval Academy, or West Point, I have no doubt that story is 115% true even though I was just a prior-enlisted slug that lucked my way into OTS at the old Medina annex in San Antonio a long, long time ago.

FrogCop19

As usual... Army is absolutely dominating the uniform game. Oh, and two of the three Apollo 11 astronauts? West Pointers.

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY

My dad was in the Navy (and my stepdad was in the marines), so I will always root for them over any of the other service academies, but DAMN that army video was awesome. That salute gave me chills. Well played, Army...well played.